PDA

View Full Version : Baikal MP153 semi 12 ga

ShawneeB
01-10-2014, 05:24 PM
If their is one thing I love, that's Russian firearms. Makarovs, Mosins, The Finns (redone Mosin), Toz 22, 1895 Nagant revolver, IZH shotguns, OE and SxS.

Baikal MP153 are one tough shotgun. Don't have to worry about beating high dollar guns up, reliable, built tough. They have torture tested these 40,000 - 50,000 rounds with no failures. very popular waterfowl guns world wide. Been meaning to get one for about 7 years, finally did and happy I did!

2 3/4 up to 3 1/2 12 ga. Chrome bore 24". Come with 4 extended chokes all steel rated, mag plug. Gas system is adjustable. EAA used to import, then Remington as "Spartan 453" now EAA again as USSG >$400 at Buds shipped.

Needed a light clean up, some CLP and a few strokes of the bolt. Put in some 2 3/4 high brass Rem #6 and it shot flawless and to my point of aim at 15 yards. I'll pattern it out to 50 yards with Dead coyote 4 buck, Fed 4 buck and some Nitro express #2 1 7/8 oz loads. Be my coyote/turkey gun.

Do I have other shotguns? Yup, all kinds, all price ranges,, Mossys, Rems, Beretta, Franchi, Win's, Weatherbies... more... Did they shoot better? Nope.

If it's upsidedown once photobucket catches up the pic should rotate, it was rotated and saved but this has happened before then fixed itself.
http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj493/Hermit54/IMG_20140110_1357501.jpg

ShawneeB
01-10-2014, 05:29 PM
Little more specs on them from IZH Note the shells are metric sized length, 12/70-89 that's not dates;)

Popular semi-automatic smoothbore shotgun offers a wide range of applications: from various hunts and target shooting to law enforcement and self-defence.Actually the MP-153 is the only domestic sample of semi-auto guns chambered in 12/89 and showing dependable performance with full range of 12 gauge rounds – from 12/70 to 12/89 in all combinations without additional adjustments and rearrangement. The option with 76 mm chamber is also available.
Gas-operated system. Gas cylinder accommodates an automatic pulse regulator.
The breechblock attached directly to the barrel provides stable and durable lock and relieves the chamber when a shot takes place. Receiver is made of aluminium alloy.
Gas exposed elements (bore, chamber, piston, gas chamber, external surface of magazine tube) are Нchrome plated. Valve and piston rings are made of stainless steel.
Removable hammer-type trigger group provides for safety functions, or:

prevents shots when the bolt is not fully locked,

blocks the trigger by manual safety.

Under-barrel tubular magazine. An extender can increase the magazine capacity. Rubber recoil pad relieves recoil.
MP-153 offers excellent reliability, high firing rate, faultless performance and versatility in ammunition.
Options:
With screw-in chokes for lead and steel shot.
W/out a rib (fixed open sights).
Options of stock and forend:

walnut or beech, rubber buttplate,

polymer, rubber buttplate,

folding stock.

J.Baker
01-12-2014, 05:49 AM
I know a few guys from another forum several years ago who loved their Baikal MP153's and have seen plenty of the torture test video's. That said, I've also read numerous reports of people having problems with them - mainly due to quality control issues. The only negative I see with them (and it's the same negative I have towards a lot of auto-loaders) is the complete lack of options when it comes to getting additional barrels for them. Want a slug barrel? Tuff! Want a 22-24" tactical or turkey barrel? Tuff! You're only choice is 26 or 28" and you have to make it when you buy the gun.

ShawneeB
01-12-2014, 12:02 PM
I actually found a 24" Got to clean them well, break them in. This shot very well after a cleaning. They went up to $389 shipped from Buds, got it 2 weeks earlier for $310 shipped. Hard to beat for what it can do. $15 extra at Buds, lifetime garuntee fix or replace. Heck, I never needed a slug barrel. Cylinder choke and shoot away. had a Beretta 1201FP I could nail 1/2 gal milk jugs of water every shot up to 50 yards with a smoothie. I do have a mossy 500 too I can slug barrel if I wanted. I love all shotguns but these MP153 are a bargain. I'm going to camo rattle can too:p I'll post pics of it, a test of patterning coyote loads too. I re-stuff shottie shells too (20 and 12)so I'll give it a clays run also! They do have a saddle mount Sun Optics makes very much like a 870 saddle. KY night coyote with lights 18 days, 13 hrs and 59 minutes but whose counting!:rofl:

ShawneeB
01-14-2014, 12:00 PM
Colonial, tru and carlsons make chokes for these too.

87predator
01-14-2014, 01:24 PM
I have one, and it has worked fine. Have had for quite a few years. My only issue was lack of options. I will have to look at Carlson, to see choke tubes offered again, as they didn't make them last time I looked, but its been a few years.

Let me know what you work up for a sling system for this.

ShawneeB
01-14-2014, 07:56 PM
Those 3 co's make the chokes. I've had several Baikals (IZH) SxS and OE. Been getting chokes for them for years, think the same size but I'd buy the extendeds for the MP153. Can't remember but they also fit some common brand, used to know! I'm going to pattern it in the next few days with 4 buck and some dead coyote. Think a camo pine needle/straw job is due too.

Fore cap has a hole. I'll fit a sling swivel to that. When I builr rifles I had a small lathe ad made my own swivel studs, no lathe now but I'll figure something. I don't know about a stud in that rear buttstock though. Maybe a wraparound like they use on muzzleloaders on that end. Suppose a stud that was machine thread and a small wing bolt, toggle bolt may be an option.