PDA

View Full Version : talk me down

acmetim
01-10-2014, 04:13 PM
from all the reading i have done, it seems that the toughest guns to scope are break action piston air rifles. meaning, they destroy even high quality magnum rifle scopes quickly. so it would seem to me that air rifle scopes are built the toughest….? i know most have a limited parallax setting, but there are some with an adjustable objective- shouldn't these be the toughest built scopes there are? and capable of shooting from 10 meters (whatever meters are) and infinity yards?

wbm
01-10-2014, 05:13 PM
it would seem to me that air rifle scopes are built the toughest….?

They should be but that doesn't mean all are.

Piston air rifles, shot guns and semi auto rifles are very hard on scopes. Muzzle brakes also increase stress on scopes. I called Nikon and asked them about it. They said that their Ninon ProStaff 4x was "solid enough to handle the hardest recoil." I bought a 4x for my M1A and it never failed to keep zero. My Nikon ProStaff 4-9x40 has performed well on a magnum with a brake and an AR.

CharlieNC
01-11-2014, 01:13 PM
Seems like I read Hawke scopes were designed for air guns, and the Sidewinder model has been used for long range and has gotten some fantastic reviews; of course being a lower price scope it has some not-so-favorable which seems par for the course for scopes in this category.

scope eye
01-11-2014, 01:20 PM
I have always used Swift scopes on my air rifles, then started using them on my rimfire and centrefire rifles, and has worked out very well for me.

Dean

pitsnipe
01-16-2014, 04:18 PM
I understood that it isn't the recoil that is the problem. Its the DIRECTION of the MULTIPLE recoil that is the problem. Both rearward and forward. It is the combined forces that tear down NON air rifle scopes. They are built to sustain the forces of the compression spring/break action air rifles. Don't know how they would work on something much bigger than a rim fire .22.

Snipe

scope eye
01-16-2014, 04:33 PM
When ever I have sighting in problems, and suspect the scope might be the problem, and not the load the scope I have used the most,
is an air rifle scope that has been on and off more rifles I can't even count, and it has been on everything from a 223 to a 338 Edge.

Dean

pitsnipe
01-16-2014, 05:20 PM
When ever I have sighting in problems, and suspect the scope might be the problem, and not the load the scope I have used the most,
is an air rifle scope that has been on and off more rifles I can't even count, and it has been on everything from a 223 to a 338 Edge.

Dean

Impressive. Didn't know one could take that punishment. Learn something new every day.

Snipe

scope eye
01-16-2014, 05:34 PM
The reason I don't keep it on any rig, is because it so scratched and dinged it is almost painful to look at, but I will never get rid of it and am very thankful for all the headaches it has saved me, when it finally gives up the ghost I think I will give it a proper burial.LOL

Dean