PDA

View Full Version : New Savage 11VT .308 need advice

Pages : [1] 2

agent88
01-10-2014, 03:26 AM
Took the gun to the 100 yard range for the first time today. The gun shoots great but I did have a couple problems.

First the good. Here's a pic of shots 5 - 7 @ 100 yards shooting Hornady 168gr match

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/10/y9yzynu9.jpg

Pretty happy with that.

The first round I ever fired through the gun was a reload that I bought but after the round fired I couldnt open the bolt. I literally had to hammer the bolt open with my hand. After that I never had that problem again shooting the same reloads so I figure just a tight new chamber.

Today when I shot the Hornady match and some federal match grade ammo I found it very hard to close the bolt after chambering a round. I never had that problem with the reloads.

My friend was with me and he also has a new identical 11VT and was shooting the same reloads so I tried chambering a Hornady in his rifle and it is just as hard to close as mine.
I don't know how to describe the extra force necessary but it's a lot. I really have to bear down to get that bolt closed
So we dont fire the round and have just as hard of a time trying to open the bolt and extract the unfired round but we get it out.
Here's a pic .... notice the rub marks near the bullet seat on the bullet on the right ?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/10/6ute9y9y.jpg

I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if something is wrong or not and could use some help with this.

Just let me know if I can provide any other info

Thanks

FW Conch
01-10-2014, 04:59 AM
Something is wrong there. You need to have the rifle and ammo checked out !

Hotolds442
01-10-2014, 08:28 AM
Looks like the bullet on the right has been shoved into the lands and has been set back. Hard to tell with picture clarity but it looks like that bullet has rifling grooves in it. Pull the bullet, empty the powder and see if the brass will chamber without the bullet. If it chambers ok, at least you can eliminate that. It's hard to imagine a barrel with a bad throat getting through the proof testing portion of QC, but I guess stranger things have happened.

tammons
01-10-2014, 10:06 AM
Bullet deep into the lands.

I would say its the ammo, but you could have a short throat too.
To mee it looks like that ammo was loaded for a long throated rifle.
Whatever, dont shoot that ammo any more.

See if you can get a reamer diagram from savage and compare it to where the lands are using a Hornady OAL gage.

In the future if it takes any force beyond normal to close the bolt something is wrong, so stop.
If it take a lot of force to open the bolt after a shot something is wrong, so stop until you figure out what the problem is.

pitsnipe
01-10-2014, 11:44 AM
Are the shoulders dented? Or is that the lighting? Because if they (the case) are distorted like that, they wont want to chamber. But like 442 said, pull the pill, and try to chamber the empty case and compare ability to do so. And yes, the one on the right was definitely shoved into the lands.

Snipe

agent88
01-10-2014, 03:52 PM
Thanks for taking time to read/reply.

One thing we came across has to do with an issue Savage .308 bolt actions apparently have with chamber throat depth.

Google:

savage 308 throat depth

Lot's of topics with owners reporting problems chambering/unchambering .308 match grade ammo and reporting that throat depth is an issue with a lot of savage .308 bolt actions.

One solution is to shorten OAL of the rounds or have the throat reamed.

I'm not confident this is something savage would warranty and consider out of specs.... I haven't contacted them but I'm a bit leary of sending the gun off for a month only to get it back with nothing changed.

Thoughts?

tammons
01-10-2014, 04:00 PM
Hand load it with a more pointy bullet or run less COL.
I used to run the 208 gr amax right at 2.95 or there abouts.

Get a Hornady OAL length gage and the shell for it and measure the lands for which bullet you want to load and load it accordingly, or like you said if you are doing something special then have the barrel throated.

BBS70
01-10-2014, 09:18 PM
I bought my HH 308 a couple months ago.
I loaded some rounds with once fired cases a friend gave me, and went to the range.
I could not get the bolt down to lock the round in place.

I had No problem with factory rounds.

I pulled some of the bullets and tried to get the cases to chamber in my rifle, no luck.
Talked to a guy that I trust and competes in shooting events, and he said to screw my resizing die down all the way till it touches the shell holder.
It worked, I was thinking that the gun the cases were shot in had a problem but after reading this thread I'm not so sure.

Most of the once fired cases had been fired in a semi- auto , so I'm wondering if that would have anything to do with it.

This is my first bolt gun, and I'm not sure what to expect.
Never had this kind of problem with my semi-autos.

Hotolds442
01-10-2014, 09:30 PM
Small base sizing dies are a good idea when reloading rounds used in semi autos intended for bolt rifles.

Texas Solo
01-11-2014, 11:01 AM
I'd start from scratch. The reloads are of no use, information wise, as you don't know which exact bullet was used or how it was resized, or even if it was trimmed. Reloading if great as long as the loads are to YOUR spec, for YOUR rifle. Otherwise, they're junk.

Get an OAL gauge and measure your chamber with the bullet you intend to shoot/load.
You can also disassemble a factory round, use that bullet to get your measurement, then compare that measurement to a loaded round. It is possible that your jamming that factory ammo due to a short chamber. It's also quite possible that those reloads weren't properly sized/trimmed.
FWIW....my 11VT has a CBTO of 2.218" with a SMK175, 2.198" with a Hornady 168 match, and a 2.235" measurement with a Nosler 168CC.
My buddy has the exact same rifle, and his measurements are a constant .020 shorter than mine with every different bullet we've tried.

Uncle H
01-26-2014, 04:40 PM
I have a Savage Model 11VT .308 from Dicks , and I can tell you for sure what the problem is, THE THROAT IS SHORT, I have found mine to be the same way. Here is a picture using a Hornday O.A.L tool, the bullet was pushed up against the lands. The caliper is set at 2.800, the bullet is a Sierra 168 MK. The recommended length in the Sierra Load Data is 2.800, you can see how much you would have to jamb it into the lands to close the bolt if the bullet was seated to suggested C.O.A.L. I have checked the head space on mine with gauges, the chamber is ok, it appears the problem is in the throat.

http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u635/Uncle_HII/ChamberModel11VT_zpsaf3b72b0.jpg (http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/Uncle_HII/media/ChamberModel11VT_zpsaf3b72b0.jpg.html)

agent88
01-26-2014, 05:50 PM
I have a Savage Model 11VT from Dicks , and I can tell you for sure what the problem is, THE THROAT IS SHORT, I have found mine to be the same way. Here is a picture using a Hornday O.A.L tool, the bullet was pushed up against the lands. The caliper is set at 2.800, the bullet is a Sierra 168 MK. The recommended length in the Sierra Load Data is 2.800, you can see how much you would have to jamb it into the lands to close the bolt if the bullet was seated to suggested C.O.A.L. I have checked the head space on mine with gauges, the chamber is ok.

http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u635/Uncle_HII/ChamberModel11VT_zpsaf3b72b0.jpg (http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/Uncle_HII/media/ChamberModel11VT_zpsaf3b72b0.jpg.html)

What C.O.A.L are you seating to now?

Uncle H
01-27-2014, 12:53 PM
What C.O.A.L are you seating to now?

Going to try a few differnet seating depths, see how it does on accuracy and across the chrony, while watching for pressure issues, will get back with result. If I were to seat the bullet just touching the lands the COAL would be 2.752 I believe, will recheck that also and repost.

agent88
01-27-2014, 02:15 PM
Going to try a few differnet seating depths, see how it does on accuracy and across the chrony, while watching for pressure issues, will get back with result. If I were to seat the bullet just touching the lands the COAL would be 2.752 I believe, will recheck that also and repost.

Jeez.. thats almost 1/16"...

Uncle H
01-27-2014, 03:48 PM
Yes, now you see why it was giving you fits.

agent88
01-27-2014, 04:12 PM
Yes, now you see why it was giving you fits.

So is there any reason why savage would do this or not correct this?

Uncle H
01-27-2014, 04:28 PM
I would think it is a error on there part , I am going to contact them and see.

Uncle H
01-28-2014, 10:39 AM
Ok, talked with Savage, got the responce I expected. And I understand were they are coming from, but they assume it is a customer error until proven otherwise. But anyone with the same issue, Savage would like us to send or rifles to them for testing and if a problem is found, they will fix it. They want you to contact them before sending the rifle in and have the serial number ready when you call them.

Uncle H
01-28-2014, 12:30 PM
Now you do realize if you are a handloader there is a up side to this, you will have a barrel with very long barrel life, before the throat is shot out. You will need to work up a load that is safe to shoot in this chamber, watching for pressure signs as you go, the only other thing you would need to check out is make sure the neck of the brass is not getting pinched in the throat with the throat being short, this could cause high pressure spikes. If you take a piece of fired brass from that gun and a bullet will slide and drop into the brass with no problem, then you most likely wont have a problem with properly trimed brass being to long and getting pinched in the throat.

agent88
01-28-2014, 12:41 PM
Thanks for posting.

I do reload for the gun. I'm new to reloading and bench shooting.

Are you sending the gun in?

I'm very happy with the accuracy I'm getting from the gun so I'm not in any hurry to send it in.

I have research to do as I have some questions.

What are pressure signs?

How is a short throat corrected. Does rifling need to be machined out of the barrel to increase throat length? I believe I read that it is not too expensive or complicated to have done locally if you can find a competent smith.

How much can reccomended COAL be shortened?

Can I measure throat depth by loading up dummy rounds or is there an easier way than buying a guage?