PDA

View Full Version : B-Mag Series: Boyds Gunstocks now Available for the Savage B.MAG

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12

Lonewulf
02-06-2014, 08:11 PM
yes I used them on my classic stock, came out of the plastic with no trouble,
are the o-rings on the barrel really supposed to help or just align the barrel straight in the stock?

rsh4364
02-06-2014, 08:21 PM
Yes used fact.escutcheons in my thumbhole.Another thing, check your safety,mine with the rear action screw barely snug would fire with safety on.I think Im gonna send mine back.wont be getting scope til April anyways.

Crockett
02-06-2014, 09:25 PM
Yes on the escutcheons, one small metric washer inside so you can tighten the rear without affecting the safety, then you can tighten the front and hopefully your barrel will sit in the center of the barrel channel on the stock.

rsh4364
02-06-2014, 10:36 PM
Gonna call Friday,might just trade for the prairie hunter model,really like the thumbhole though!

Jeremy B
02-07-2014, 06:38 AM
yes I used them on my classic stock, came out of the plastic with no trouble,
are the o-rings on the barrel really supposed to help or just align the barrel straight in the stock?

Some say the o rings helped with accuracy but I didn't see much(if any) improvement. I might try a piece of rubber inner tube under the barrel to see if it helps as the barrel is really flexible

gsperaz
02-07-2014, 09:42 AM
Some say the o rings helped with accuracy but I didn't see much(if any) improvement. I might try a piece of rubber inner tube under the barrel to see if it helps as the barrel is really flexible
Hey Jeremy, the o-rings will not with with a boyds due to the barrel channel dimensions of the stock. Try finding a piece of rubber that will just fit between the bottom of the barrel and the bottom of the barrel channel. Not to thick that it will put upward pressure, but enough that it will contact the barrel and dampen vibrations. Also locate the rubber under the barrel where words Bmag is stamped on the top.
That's what worked for me.

scope eye
02-07-2014, 10:42 AM
No matter what I do, I just can't seem to get that safety to work smoothly, and as much as I look a the area, I can not for the life of me see what they obstruction is, washers did not seem to make a difference.

Dean

Jeremy B
02-07-2014, 10:45 AM
Hey Jeremy, the o-rings will not with with a boyds due to the barrel channel dimensions of the stock. Try finding a piece of rubber that will just fit between the bottom of the barrel and the bottom of the barrel channel. Not to thick that it will put upward pressure, but enough that it will contact the barrel and dampen vibrations. Also locate the rubber under the barrel where words Bmag is stamped on the top.
That's what worked for me.

That is what I was thinking since being free floated in the Boyds hasn't been an improvement in how it shoots. A barrel clamp like the 10/22 has crossed my mind once and there is a gun show close by this weekend

gsperaz
02-07-2014, 02:01 PM
No matter what I do, I just can't seem to get that safety to work smoothly, and as much as I look a the area, I can not for the life of me see what they obstruction is, washers did not seem to make a difference.

Dean
Does the safety work when the action is removed from the stock ? If so, take a small file and carefully dress all of the wood surfaces in the stock that maybe contacting the safety mechanism. Sometime its just a matter of squaring up a round corner.

Crockett
02-07-2014, 02:56 PM
Crocket, it looks like your safety is plenty high above the stock, here is a pic of my safety
http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y452/Jeremy53561/20140206_173930_zpsdjyjex4n.jpg

Here is a pic of my barrel in the stock
http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y452/Jeremy53561/20140206_170843_zpscoxox8o3.jpg

Is everyone using these things(stock pillars, escutcheons, whatever they want to call them) on the action screws?
http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y452/Jeremy53561/DSC00037_zps09e5787c.jpg

Looking at the end of your stock and I see what looks like the exact same finish issue my stock had, fine cracks in the finish only highly noticeable in bright light and at certain angles. Looks like your camera flash made it show up, so take a closer look at your stock and then contact boyds'

rsh4364
02-07-2014, 03:56 PM
Heard from Boyds today,the engineer is supposed to contact me sometime today.

Matt99
02-07-2014, 05:31 PM
Looking at the end of your stock and I see what looks like the exact same finish issue my stock had, fine cracks in the finish only highly noticeable in bright light and at certain angles. Looks like your camera flash made it show up, so take a closer look at your stock and then contact boyds'

You don't think that it's just the laminate?

rsh4364
02-07-2014, 06:52 PM
Heard from Boyds today,the engineer is supposed to contact me sometime today.

Just got off phone with Wilson an engineer with Boyds,they want my stock back for evaluation,It seems Savage gave them some rifles to work with and then made some changes.He is thinking there might be a gen.1 and a gen.2,but not sure how to determine which is which.But they are currently working with Savage as Savage wants to start selling the B-Mag with the Boyds stocks.Really a nice conversation, not like a return call to make customer happy.If you have same problems pm Jen at Boyds,if we help them they will help us.

Crockett
02-07-2014, 07:07 PM
You don't think that it's just the laminate?

NO...if you look at the picture you posted from the rear of your gun the white cracks that are visible, they cover more than one color so it is the finish issue they definitely had. I also see it in the picture of your stocks fore end also.

Matt99
02-07-2014, 07:57 PM
Just got off phone with Wilson an engineer with Boyds,they want my stock back for evaluation,It seems Savage gave them some rifles to work with and then made some changes.He is thinking there might be a gen.1 and a gen.2,but not sure how to determine which is which.But they are currently working with Savage as Savage wants to start selling the B-Mag with the Boyds stocks.Really a nice conversation, not like a return call to make customer happy.If you have same problems pm Jen at Boyds,if we help them they will help us.

hes the one that called me as well but I was busy each time. I understand that we have a defective product and that the should replace it, but I cannot see what sending it in will do if they are still sending out defective ones. I'm hoping that they will offer to send us correctly fitting ones or re-mill ours. Makes me wish I wouldn't have done so much work to correct it!

NO...if you look at the picture you posted from the rear of your gun the white cracks that are visible, they cover more than one color so it is the finish issue they definitely had. I also see it in the picture of your stocks fore end also.

i didn't see any in mine but I exactly didn't buy a laminate stock for a perfect wood grain. With the laminate being essentially a skin, I would assume that the sealant that they put over it had some drying issues or something but the stock is still as strong as it should be. Irregardless, I would assume that since it is not a "natural imperfection" that they would fix it for free/replace

Jeremy B
02-07-2014, 08:05 PM
At some angles, I can see some cracks but I am not going to complain about it. I cannot understand what is going on at Boyds that my rimfire classic stock allows the safety to function but most with the thumbhole models have issues

stephenlnoe
02-08-2014, 01:00 AM
I received the rimfire hunter and it took a lot of whittling to get the magazine to seat. Also the safety is pretty tight. I think the cad design needs to be updated for the bmag. It does float the barrel but with pretty close tolerance. I've got pics but nowhere to upload and I don't see how to attach pics to post.

Jeremy B
02-08-2014, 08:40 AM
I received the rimfire hunter and it took a lot of whittling to get the magazine to seat. Also the safety is pretty tight. I think the cad design needs to be updated for the bmag. It does float the barrel but with pretty close tolerance. I've got pics but nowhere to upload and I don't see how to attach pics to post.

photobucket, imageshack and imgur work To post an image you copy the url with the ,jpg or whatever file type, on photobucket I use the direct link for the picture. Then you can type it out use [ IMG ] before the address of your picture without the spaces between the brackets and IMG and then you use the brackets around /IMG at the end of the pictures address. There is a small picture frame icon in the reply area that does it for you

I had an issue with the mag fitting and just filed down the mag catch until it worked

rona
02-08-2014, 10:51 AM
Could you show with a picture where you filed the mag catch? Thanks

Jeremy B
02-08-2014, 11:10 AM
Could you show with a picture where you filed the mag catch? Thanks

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/08/bu8e7u7e.jpg
Not the best pic and the area I filed is still rough in the pic