PDA

View Full Version : B-Mag Series: Boyds Gunstocks now Available for the Savage B.MAG

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12

bremereric
03-13-2014, 04:12 PM
I ordered mine on the 5th of March and it shipped today. Mine was the plain jane stock though.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/content/Boyds/images/500/Products/CLASSIC/04-111.jpg

rona
03-13-2014, 04:52 PM
I didn't send a stock back but ordered Jan 14th and have had 2 calls saying they had problems and someone would be contacting me. Good thing I wasn't in a hurry.
March 7 called with the news they have had problems with the finish.

rsh4364
03-14-2014, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the reply,I opted for a replacement stock and told them no rush I just really want a stock that works.They have only had it for a few weeks,I was just curious.

Just checked my email,My new & improved pepper thumbhole is on the way!!! Should be here Tuesday! Just a little excited LOL.Now if an aftermarket barrel co would take notice.

rsh4364
03-18-2014, 07:16 PM
Received new stock tonight,all problems resolved,safety works,mag. fits good,bolt handle not dinging stock,barrel centered and floating.Only issue is rear receiver bolt will not thread into receiver with escutcheon in place,but will without escutcheon,gonna try a smidge longer receiver bolt. Any thoughts or advice?

edorfox
03-21-2014, 03:37 AM
Thoughts...yes. Take the screw & escutcheon out and separate them by unthreading apart. Then with the action in place held loosely by the front screw, insert the escutcheon by itself into the rear stock hole. It must fit down into the hole all the way up to its shoulder. THEN, while holding the action tight into the rear of the stock, thread in the rear screw through the escutcheon first then to the trigger block. It should pick up the threads in the trigger block just fine now.

Ed

rsh4364
03-21-2014, 06:41 PM
Thanks Ed,thats how I installed the first time,just tried again,no success.

edorfox
03-22-2014, 02:57 AM
My guess then would be more of an alignment issue than a length issue. Try it without the front screw in place so you will be free to shift the receiver around a bit to pick up the threads WITH the escutcheon.

Ed

bremereric
03-22-2014, 11:05 AM
http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad26/bremereric/Guns/IMG_1820.jpg~original (http://s918.photobucket.com/user/bremereric/media/Guns/IMG_1820.jpg.html)

I got mine. The rear hole is the problem. Not quite big enough to accept the escutcheon. You have to ram it in there. I also had to sand a little around the magazine well to get mine to snap into place well. The end of the barrel was to the left until I added my fix. Some rubber the thickness of a bicycle inter tube.

bremereric
03-22-2014, 03:29 PM
Thanks Ed,thats how I installed the first time,just tried again,no success.Here's how I did the rear one and it worked. I had the screw in the escutcheon and placed it in the hole of the stock. Put a couple of tiny pieces of paper on top of it so you would not mark the screw. Take a punch as large as the screw and then hit it with a hammer until it seats. Worked like a champ. Just remember this was just the bare stock.

rsh4364
03-22-2014, 11:23 PM
Thanks guys,will try Sunday,just got home from a 15hr work day....

rsh4364
03-24-2014, 07:01 PM
Thanks guys,will try Sunday,just got home from a 15hr work day....

Rear escutcheon is fully seated,Jens gonna get back to me soon.

bremereric
03-24-2014, 09:08 PM
Rear escutcheon is fully seated,Jens gonna get back to me soon.Good for you. We are going shooting this Sunday.

Lonewulf
04-07-2014, 12:42 AM
Hopefully we hear about a stock for the SS HB soon.

Lonewulf
04-15-2014, 12:23 AM
still waiting on a update for the HB B-mag stocks :) I hate to order a regular b-mag stock and work it over if the HB stocks are coming soon

rona
04-15-2014, 10:08 AM
It really isn't that hard to change it as it just involves wrapping some sandpaper around anything round and widen the slot for the barrel until it is free floating. After you get it opened up and free floating put some sealer on the wood so it doesn't absorb moisture. My magazine didn't lock up like it was supposed to and after trying it a couple times I could see where it was hitting the wood and hit it with sand paper a couple swipes then it fit perfect locked up every time. If I did another one it would only take a hour. I would suggest putting a piece of painters tape on each side of where the barrel sits to protect the stock from being scratched by a opps
But it would be nice if it was made for it and a drop in situation.
If the rumor that Savage is not producing the light barrel B-Mag anymore is true I would guess Boyds would switch over but if they can make one size to fit two rifles letting the customer do the work to fit the wider one I can understand that too.
The B-Mag has had a lot of growing pains together with the lack of ammo which has soured a lot of owners but it looks like the heavy barrel will give us the accuracy we were expecting and the addition of a real stock makes it a rifle to be proud of.

Lonewulf
04-15-2014, 11:51 PM
has anybody ever asked why they don't have walnut as a option for the b-mag?

rona
04-16-2014, 09:52 AM
Mine is a Prairie Hunter with Walnut Standard Grade, checkering pattern, and 90 degree finish. Looks like a finely finished top of the line wood stock. The Walnut option is there just hard to spot.
By the time you get the B-Mag equipped with the heavy SS barrel and add the scope, stock and bipod it gets to be a spendy unit. I just hope ammo gets more common so we can get it at our local stores at a reasonable price.

Lonewulf
04-16-2014, 10:04 PM
guess I didn't look and post enough info, I meant walnut for the feather weight thumbhole

rona
04-16-2014, 10:45 PM
guess I didn't look and post enough info, I meant walnut for the feather weight thumbhole
Looks like they excluded Walnut from the thumbhole line. Not sure why they do that unless the type of wood they use for the thumbhole design is different.
I wonder if you could buy a unfinished thumbhole stock and stain it "Walnut" yourself? That isn't that hard to do. I read someplace where they gave directions on finishing gun stocks.

Lonewulf
04-17-2014, 01:05 AM
like my thumbhole on my Axis in nutmeg, was really thinking about going this way on my SS HB B-Mag but it says this at the bottom of the thumbhole page

Stocks are inlet for standard factory sporter contours. The barrel channel on these stocks can be opened up to Magnum factory contours as well as Factory Varmint Contours by you or a gunsmith, BUT the forends are not wide enough for bull barrel contours (straight contours of .875 or larger).

will have to measure the barrel on the SS HB to see if it will work

still waiting to hear from Boyd's on if and when the stocks for the HB will be out :)
maybe if Jen is around she could shed a little light