PDA

View Full Version : Just a thought

rjtfroggy
01-09-2014, 07:17 AM
I've been on this site dailey for 4.5 years and one of the most asked questions is " Where are you located?".
How about everyone going into their settings and putting it in or Admin. making it a required setting. It would stop a lot of excess posting and everyone would know where everyone is.
Of course if you are in witness protection program disreguard.

seanhagerty
01-09-2014, 09:12 AM
Good idea.

J.Baker
01-09-2014, 10:12 AM
No way to make it a required field in the software options, but I agree...people really need to fill in their location. Doesn't have to be the specific city or town if you don't want, but at least put in your state so we have a general idea where you're from.

ShawneeB
01-09-2014, 11:11 AM
I've been on this site dailey for 4.5 years and one of the most asked questions is " Where are you located?".
How about everyone going into their settings and putting it in or Admin. making it a required setting. It would stop a lot of excess posting and everyone would know where everyone is.
Of course if you are in witness protection program disreguard.

I agree. All forums I always put mine in. Not "somewhere usa" If one can't even put the state, then they may be messing up even posting on the internet.

buxman66
01-09-2014, 11:36 AM
Then again you're only looking at it from your prospective. Maybe people are more private in their nature, and its none of anyones business where they're from. No, I disagree w/ you it should not be a requirement. It fulfills your desire to know what part of the country that person is @/from.....but nothing else. A face to face conversation would likely flesh out that question and let you know when you've overstepped your boundaries, being online does not afford those opprotunities. It used to be you didn't ask where a person was from,.....not so anymore. But there are still ppl like that out there and I personally respect that.

Rick_W
01-09-2014, 11:41 AM
I don't think it should be required, but I fill in mine and I like to see it in others as well.

Especially when that person is asking for assistance or looking for something.

RP12
01-09-2014, 01:08 PM
I put that on mine when I first signed up, for that very reason. Do I get a cookie ? LOL.

SFLEFTY
01-09-2014, 01:55 PM
Just added my state, not a bad idea.

mazda3gun
01-09-2014, 03:43 PM
I'm proud to be from Kentucky! No hesitation at all. Why?
*whispers* 'Cause believe it or not, we all wear shoes and have teeth too!:cool:

GO WILDCATS!!!!!!!!!!

pdog06
01-09-2014, 05:21 PM
Just thought of this issue the other day while i was reading the "weather" thread.....lol everyone was posting the bad weater in their area of the world, only half of them you didnt know where they were........

ShawneeB
01-09-2014, 07:02 PM
Oh yea, the "required" part, no that would be overstepping. Suggested, yes.

I got my teeth too, but shoes?.,... OH Ok, yea, I got em. :p

rjtfroggy
01-10-2014, 06:54 AM
Many sites put that little red * where it says " location ", it may not show in your signature line but it is in your profile somewhere. In any case moot point seeing as the Admin said it can not be done.
For Buxman, I too respect a persons privacy,but there are so many " how do I, or Does anybody have" question here that knowing where some one is would help. Who knows you may be right around the corner or only a ten minute drive away from someone with the tools or know how to solve or help you fix a problem.

RP12
01-10-2014, 07:58 AM
Think about it, don't you want to know where your friends live ?

fgw_in_fla
01-10-2014, 09:24 AM
Think about it, don't you want to know where your friends live ?

Hey friend in Michigan....
Feel free to invite me over for coffee.

Preferably sometime after the last frost.

buxman66
01-10-2014, 09:26 AM
As you guys can see, I have a general location as to where I live in ohio in my avatar area. If I have a question/problem I would spell out where my pinpoint location is. I'm guys but I'm just not of a mind to give out specific location. And I suspect there are many more like me that don't respond in threads such as this, that think likewise. If it ever were a required field to fill out upon registration, you would never read the words I'm writing, much less know I ever existed. The information that ppl are oh so willing to throw out there is definitely not me.

243LPR
01-10-2014, 10:51 AM
I posted this same suggestion months ago.Guess it never took off.

fgw_in_fla
01-10-2014, 10:59 AM
I posted this same suggestion months ago.Guess it never took off.

I thought it sounded familiar.

Balljoint
01-10-2014, 01:06 PM
Have to check for mine
Found it's there

RP12
01-11-2014, 02:19 PM
Hey friend in Michigan....
Feel free to invite me over for coffee.

Preferably sometime after the last frost.It's an open invite fgw. Just let me know when your coming.

fgw_in_fla
01-11-2014, 02:38 PM
I don't go any further than Jacksonville until after May....

Maybe even June.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to cut my grass & tend to the south 40.

In January.