PDA

View Full Version : Savage 220: savage 220

savageblaster
03-05-2010, 10:02 AM
savage recommends a 1 piece scope mount base for their savage 220. Wouldn't a 2 piece base give you more room to load and eject shells or does the one piece base they recommend help with the ejecting problems i've heard about?

pdog06
03-05-2010, 11:03 AM
Good question... I am gonna get one of these sooner or later, and it would be nice to know cause I have a couple sets of 2pc bases and was gonna use a set for it.

I think it would give you a bit more room to load, but it has a DBM so youre only putting in the one in the chamber thru the top.

EFBell
03-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Have the scope mounted on mine (Elite 4200 2-1/2-10 x40) on medium rings with an EGW base. I cut the mount back to the first screw hole to get the scope back a little further. Still not to my taste at higher magnification levels, but it's ok at 2-1/2 to about 5 or so. High mounts would solve the problem but then I'm afraid I would have to take my cheek off the stock and I'm not crazy about that. Typical long action though with scope mount issues. You will probably want a one piece mount if your going with a shorter scope or you will probably have issues with scope location. A scope with longer eye relief would help. I stall may put a 3x9 VXII on it that I have laying around. We'll see.

savageblaster
03-05-2010, 01:12 PM
I was going to put a nikon prostaff 3-9x40 on one and would think I could use a two piece base, but not sure if would affect the ejecting of the shell or not.

EFBell
03-05-2010, 01:48 PM
Not sure either. May not be a problem but it is my understanding that Savage recommends a one piece base for that reason. I would have prefered a two piece base with offset front ring to fit mine but decided to give the one piece EGW a try since there plant is in spitting distance from my house. My only concern would be your eye relief and being able to get the scope where it needs to be.