PDA

View Full Version : Savage "medallions"?

Nor Cal Mikie
01-07-2014, 01:51 PM
Been a while but I'am still looking. Nothing that's exactly what I want.
Factory Savage logo is about 5/8" OD. Fine for the pistol grip area on a rifle stock or a rear grip SP. Hard to find and most are plastic crap!
Been looking at the "Buffalo" proof coins. Indian head on the reverse side.
The proof coins are 32.7 mm (1.287") Indian head (close to the Savage Logo?) on the other. Not too big or too little.
Had a couple but wasn't impressed at the time. After another look and some thought, it just might work.
Might be real nice on the side of a rifle stock? They can also be had in silver. Gold plated for around $10.00 and pure silver for around $15.00 to $25.00.
The thing that threw me off was the word "copy" stamped on the face of the coin. I sent them back because of that.
After some thought and not being able to find "exaclty" what I'am looking for, I think I could get past that if it looked "right" mounted / inletted into the stock. I might just "go for it" and see how it turns out. Got a couple on the way again for a second look.
What's your thoughts? Think it would pass inspection??
Mike.

thomae
01-07-2014, 02:27 PM
If you decide it looks good to you, go for it.

If you want others to comment, you'll do better posting photos.

Nor Cal Mikie
01-07-2014, 03:04 PM
Posting photos of what? Can't post a photo till I get something to work with??
Anybody that was involved in the last decucssion (way back when) knows what I'am talking about.

Look here for a comparison. www.fiftydollarbuffalo.com Not exactly but close?

thomae
01-07-2014, 04:38 PM
If it were me, I would take it to a place that engraves wooden plaques with a laser engraver. Bring them the B&W artwork you want and give them all the details and let them engrave it into the stock. Then, if you wanted to, you could fill in the engraving with stick paint to add contrast.

Nor Cal Mikie
01-07-2014, 06:26 PM
That's not a bad idea but I've got the "medallion" thing as being more of a coin or button. If you've ever seen the Logo's in person, you would know what I mean. Got one of the original "Medallions" that would be fine on a pistol grip of an SP like some have done but too small (IMHO) for the side of a stock. Need size so it wouldn't get lost in all the wood.
Matter of fact, lazer engraving is a real good altertnative to the logo.

big honkin jeep
01-07-2014, 06:36 PM
Check out a trophy shop. I did a project for a friends Christmas gift to his son and he wanted it personalized. I went to a trophy shop and had a 2" brass disc etched with his initials done. They used a chemical to turn the etched script black. It looked great in a recessed inlay into the stock. Cost was $10 and well worth it. I'm pretty sure a trophy shop can etch darn near anything you want into one of the discs they have available. Good luck.

Nor Cal Mikie
01-16-2014, 07:25 PM
Has anybody ever seen a Savage Logo, 3/4" OD in "Gold with a Black Indian head"? Found out from a "FRIEND" that the logos on the American Classic are Silver and Black. Not sure of the size yet.
Found some @ Numrich that were listed for the American Classic BUT, they're the smaller 5/8" brass. Already had a couple of them but I figured I'de pick up a couple more and see "exactly" what size they were. Turned out to be the smaller ones but I had to get some to know for sure. Still looking.