PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: First Savage Rifle!!! The 93R17

Mjolnir
01-07-2014, 02:39 AM
So I bought my first Savage rifle! Technically it isn't even mine, but my wife said she would share. ;)

http://i41.tinypic.com/2hyjdy8.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/2efi5j8.jpg

I am really excited to take this thing out and send some 17's down range. Do you guys have any tips or advice for this series of rifles? Do's or Don'ts? The trigger felt pretty decent, could probably adjust it down a little but I am not to concerned at this point.

scooterf79
01-07-2014, 07:02 AM
Looks good! Ive got one in wood and blue and love it! Only tip I have is to shoot and enjoy! Mine shoots like a dream. Ive shot hornday 17gr vmax, and cci 17gr tnt hp, both shoot equally well and both are deadly accurate. Under an inch @ 100 for 3 shots when I do my part, just make sure the wind is calm....them wittle teeny bullets dont like the wind! Have fun and let us know how it does for ya

Mjolnir
01-07-2014, 10:50 AM
Will do. I picked up two boxes of each (hornady and Cci). Was reading on here that guys are bedding the actions of these things. Maybe something I will consider in the future.

Mjolnir
01-07-2014, 01:17 PM
Do you guys recommend a barrel break in process? I realize this is a rimfire and probably not necessary but I would like to get into a habit if it is a recommended procedure. I know guys like Todd Hodnet advise doing one.

shawnhu
01-07-2014, 01:41 PM
That's the Savage 93r17 in BVSS, same gun my cousin has. It's only offered in 17 HMR I believe. Great choice!

I have found the triggers on these models to be set at the minimum already, but you can crack it open and take a look. It should be around 2.5lbs.

The issue almost everyone has with this model is the magazine. It's usually a bit sloppy and hard to chamber the first round. I've found that after the spring in the mag breaks in, that's not an issue. Others have found that by bending the mag rail on the gun, they are able to get it to fit snug. Do some reading and decide for yourself there.

As for a break-in, Savage doesn't specify any. Just shoot it. Savage does their accuracy testing with Hornady XTP ammo in 20gr. With this ammo, you should be getting sub MOA groups at 100 yards or better in that barrel. Shoot it on a windless day, and test it out. Mine shoots best with CCI/Federal TNT in 17gr.

Good luck with it, it's real fun to shoot and ammo isn't too hard to find for it.

ejk24
01-07-2014, 04:19 PM
Give the new gun a thorough cleaning if you have not already then fire away .