PDA

View Full Version : My First build, questions

Dieseltech09
01-06-2014, 06:36 PM
I am starting my first build and have a few questions. I picked up an older flat top 110 short action in 7mm-08 that someone chopped the barrel on. I was able to pick it up for little to nothing so Im going to have it re barreled. I am going to stick with 7mm-08 in a factory contour barrel since this will mainly be used for hunting. I have been talking to McGowen and Im pretty sure thats who I am going to send it to. I am going to have them re-blue the receiver in matte so it will match the barrel. My question is, is there anything else I need to have done to the action before they install the barrel? Once I get this figured out then I will start looking into triggers and stocks.
Thanks in Advance

Luke45
01-06-2014, 08:19 PM
Your gun has a floating bolt head so no need to lap the lugs and has the fasted factory lock time in te fireing pin so no need to do anything to the action. Get a set of headspace gauges for .308 win(same as 7-08) and a savage barrel but wrench and you can do a barrel swap in your garage in 15 min and be just as high quality as the factory. http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/06/13/change-rifle-barrels-in-minutes/

Dieseltech09
01-06-2014, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the reply. I know I could probably swap the barrel myself no problem but the finish is shot on the action so I am going to have them re-blue it. For what the want to re-blue and install is probably close to what it would cost me to have it refinished locally. I have built several ARs but dont know much about the inner workings of bolt guns so most of this is new to me. I have been shooting bolt actions since I was a kid but this is the first one I have ever done anything to other than shoot and clean it.

Luke45
01-06-2014, 09:21 PM
No problem! Sounds like it should be a real nice gun when your done with it. On YouTube there are tons and tons of great videos on trigger instillation, bolt disassembly, ect that would be great if your wanting to Learn more, should be about the same level of difficulty as an AR, maybe even a touch easier