PDA

View Full Version : Stagger Feed? Quick and dirty on the differences, for a newb

Navigation
01-06-2014, 01:31 PM
hello,
FIRST POST ANSWERED MY STAGGER FEED QUESTION< THANKS>
I am new here, and I have been reading a bunch, but I have yet to stumble across a distinct description of the differences in the stagger feed VS. center feed. What is the simplest way to tell the difference?
Secondly and MORE importantly, what can I do to make this my first "super shooter" 270?
My goal is to dress up my 110E in .270, to make it the most it can be. I believe it's older, it doesn't have a magazine hinged floor plate, and it doesn't have an accu-trigger. I have it in an older Savage composite stock right now, but I would love to get a 10 shot magazine for it, and a nicer stock. I like laminate wood stocks, but I am not "hung up" on that. Basically, I really like .270 as a caliber and really like what I have seen and read about the potential that the savage action has to be a serious tack driver.
Any and all help, is really appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Gene

RP12
01-06-2014, 01:39 PM
It "is" a stagger feed, from your description. An easy way to tell is the magazine box is attached to the action (you will have to remove the stock to check that though). The center feeds have the magazine box mounted in the stock. If I'm not mistaken the 110E uses a unique stock however.

tammons
01-06-2014, 01:39 PM
Short Action savages have a different action screw spacing.

Long actions have the same screw spacing, but the centerfeed is just that.

The top shell is held in the center of the magazine by both feed lips whereas the staggerfeed top round is only held in by a lip on one side.

Also the centerfeed internal mags are held into the stock by a tab on the back and a milled out area in the stock.

If I were you, and I am there too, I would wait to see what sort of bottom metal PTG comes out with. I have called and asked but cant get an answer if they are going to be centerfeed only or staggerfeed also.

Or you could pay 2X more now and get CDI bottom metal.

Navigation
01-06-2014, 01:43 PM
It "is" a stagger feed, from your description. An easy way to tell is the magazine box is attached to the action (you will have to remove the stock to check that though). The center feeds have the magazine box mounted in the stock. If I'm not mistaken the 110E uses a unique stock however.

The magazine stays on the action. The original stock was a plain wood stock, that had terrible fit, I installed it in this other basic 110 composite stock off of a 7mmRM long action Savage I used to have..basically, I switched stocks, other than the fact that the bolts were NOT interchangeable, the stocks switched out easy enough..thanks a bunch.
NOW...what should I be looking for to purchase to make this my go to rifle for deer and hogs?

Navigation
01-06-2014, 01:48 PM
Short Action savages have a different action screw spacing.

Long actions have the same screw spacing, but the centerfeed is just that.

The top shell is held in the center of the magazine by both feed lips whereas the staggerfeed top round is only held in by a lip on one side.

Also the centerfeed internal mags are held into the stock by a tab on the back and a milled out area in the stock.

If I were you, and I am there too, I would wait to see what sort of bottom metal PTG comes out with. I have called and asked but cant get an answer if they are going to be centerfeed only or staggerfeed also.

Or you could pay 2X more now and get CDI bottom metal.

CDI, got it...thanks. I will check them out with a quick search. Who should I be looking into for stocks? I like the looks of the Boyds laminate wood stocks..

Navigation
01-06-2014, 01:49 PM
Sounds like I should buy a 308 Savage as well...seems there is a bunch more goodies made for the short action stuff...am I right in this thinking?

tammons
01-06-2014, 01:55 PM
Sounds like I should buy a 308 Savage as well...seems there is a bunch more goodies made for the short action stuff...am I right in this thinking?

Not really because there are 308 in long actions (early), flat backs, round back stagger feeds, 308 centerfeed top bolt release and the newer centerfeed bottom bolt release.

I would say buy what you want. You will find more older parts in flat and round back staggerfeed and small shank.

As far as a stock, not sure and I am in the same boat.
I think a manner stock will come inletted for a stagger feed but expensive at about $500 or you could have a stock inletted.

Navigation
01-06-2014, 02:04 PM
I can inlet the stocks easy enough..I am a cabinet maker and knife maker...I have a full shop to handle that kind of tedious task. I was leaning towards just getting a wood stock (laminate) and inletting the action that I choose...but I think I have a ton of research to do first...it sounds like there are more variants than you can shake a stick at...lol, and I would hate to spend money on something that won't eventually work. Thanks a ton guys and gals...lots of fun here, on this site. Tons of good info for the hobbyist.

tammons
01-06-2014, 02:18 PM
Yes a lot of differences.

IE the first Savage I bought a few years ago was a SA staggerfeed roundback.
Next one was a SA Centerfeed roundback top bolt release and decided I wanted both centerfeeds because of the different screw spacing so Sold the staggerfeed.

Next thought I was going to Africa and bought an older SS LA flat back control feed to set up as a 375 Ruger.
Still have that action because they are a bit difficult to find in SS LA and control feed. Ended up selling the barrel. Wanted SS anyway.

Just bought a new style 375 Ruger and to my surprise its a bottom bolt release so now that takes an entirely different stock than the top bolt release but as I understand it there is a conversion Sear or something like that.

Just called PTG to order a few odds and ends and asked about their bottom metal and they dont know when it will be released.
Said the Savages were driving their lead machinist on the project nuts.

Also just looked back into the CDI bottom metal and their bottom metal will fit either or LA supposedly but I dont think it will fit the bottom bolt release ?? but it will fit either SF or CF top bolt release actions. Supposedly will fit a SF Manners stock out of the box, so since I want a decent stock anyway, might go that route.

Boyds makes stocks to fit most any savage, but not sure about the inletting for CDI bottom metal. I think they are inletted for factory mags.

Navigation
01-06-2014, 02:36 PM
My 270 is a top bolt release, stagger feed, long action, ol style trigger, with a 110E action.
Now what is this "round back vs. flat back" deal???? I am thinking that any machinist that is working up parts for all these differences is a saint!
Also, does anyone have the distances for the action retaining bolts, long action VS. short action, on center numbers??

tammons
01-06-2014, 02:49 PM
Round back started in 2003 I think or there abouts. Before then the rear of the scope base mount area was flat.

Short action stagger feed 4.27
Short Action Centerfeed 4.4
Long action Sf and CF 5.062

The axis is different at 4.8
Not sure on the RUM lengths.

Navigation
01-06-2014, 03:07 PM
Round back started in 2003 I think or there abouts. Before then the rear of the scope base mount area was flat.

Short action stagger feed 4.27
Short Action Centerfeed 4.4
Long action Sf and CF 5.062

The axis is different at 4.8
Not sure on the RUM lengths.

AWESOME, thanks a ton man! I have a Pre 03 then, the rear, top portion of the action, were the scope base is mounted is flat.
Thanks for the numbers as well. Your the man.

tammons
01-06-2014, 03:11 PM
With those types of actions you have to check the flat back to make sure its square. If not bed the base.

I have one that is okay and one that was way off. Mount the base and tighten the front screw only then check the rear of the base.

Navigation
01-06-2014, 03:28 PM
With those types of actions you have to check the flat back to make sure its square. If not bed the base.

I have one that is okay and one that was way off. Mount the base and tighten the front screw only then check the rear of the base.

10-4. I was going to lap the scope rings when I got to that point, if that will help. Good to know I have to look out for that. Thanks again. I am getting amped up about building this thing...I think I am gonna end up with way to much in some bolt guns..this could be addictive. I have been sitting here trying to "improve" the factory laminate stock...I am not able to do much with it. Not a bad stock, just a lot of flex in the front end, and I like using a bipod...so I have to figure something out until I get a new set up.

tammons
01-06-2014, 03:31 PM
Just Lapping the rings might not be enough. Mine was so bad that it twisted my picatinny base if fully tightened. It was off a lot. Was low and tilted to the left side.

Choate tactical is a major solid stock and heavy but good for target. Has a V alum action block so you dont need to bed it.