PDA

View Full Version : Snakes

Pages : [1] 2 3

ShawneeB
01-04-2014, 09:30 AM
I have gotten better with snakes but not a whole lot. They scare the crap outta me when I first notice them. Then when the adrenaline level comes back down I release my self from the 10 foot high branch I jumped up to and determine what kind of snake. If it is non pisoness (yea spelled wrong) and NOT coming at me or striking, gets a pass. If it strikes, chases me, geta a bullet or 3. Snakeseason got cci snakeshot in the PF9, it cycles. Sometimes got slugs instead and takes a few more shots. Big blackishdarkish bugger came out the pond and chasing me, mussa been 7 feet easy, didn't know if kingsnake or cottonmouth, 3rd slug took it's head off but it had covered 40 feet and was very close. Why? I dunno, shoulderless vermin from hell don't need a reason! Buddy was 100 yards away and still running.

Rupe
01-04-2014, 12:09 PM
Hahahaha
We only have rattlers here, but nothing around our place cause they don't like the sand and alkili here in this area. Yeah!

Rupe

ShawneeB
01-04-2014, 03:21 PM
We have pigmy and timber rattlers, copperheads and cottonmouth for the nasties. KY has 31 or 33 varieties, I seen a third of them! Some pretty as heck. Some like to chase you like blue racers but if they are moving it's a streak. Getting more used to them but still not liking them much. Had a pet one in the tractor shed a while, rat snakes come around (pretty) had a ringneck drop down in my shop.

Rupe
01-04-2014, 03:51 PM
No way could I live.there. I would die from a heart attack or run off a cliff trying to get away from one. And talk about all the screaming and pants wetting. No thank you. I'll stay right here.

Rupe

ShawneeB
01-04-2014, 06:24 PM
I'm always looking and careful. Dead of winter I'm lookin! When snakes shed they get blinded and strike at anything, bad time to run into one. The little squigglers seem to hit me hardest the first few seconds but a 7 footer streakin towards me ain't to cool either! Cottonmouths are meaner than a snake. :rofl:

Rupe
01-04-2014, 06:33 PM
hahahaha just tore yourself up on that one didn't ya! LOL
I would have set a new world record for the.fastest mile if one came at me. Even a garder snake.

ShawneeB
01-05-2014, 12:13 AM
Pretty garder stayed a while last summer. Nice mellow little bugger.
http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj493/Hermit54/critters/DSCN2022.jpg

Rupe
01-05-2014, 03:38 AM
Snakes are not pretty I almost shot my screen when that picture popped up. very funny. haha not

Rupe

ShawneeB
01-05-2014, 09:48 AM
Sure they are. Just look at that "sam browne" basket weave underside on that bugger. Looks like you can cash that stuff in a knox for $1400 an ounce:p Those won't hurt you unless you provoke them. This one would have hung around forever, liked sunnin in that spot, but tossed a sheet plastic over it by mistake and skert it away for good.

Rupe
01-05-2014, 11:14 AM
Two Words ------SNAKE SHOT!

ShawneeB
01-05-2014, 05:04 PM
Good stuff. That CCI will cycle a semi.

Rupe
01-05-2014, 05:17 PM
But then again, one shot from a 12ga. with 7.5 shot will make it disappear at close range. Then you don't ha e tp get rid of the body. Just a little water pressure and a hose! The only good snake is a dead snake!!!! And in my book there is noooo room for an arguement LOL

ShawneeB
01-06-2014, 10:14 AM
I can't say I actually like them but have a let them live if they don't mess with me or have pizzen. Many around here do kill everyone they see, actually most. They are beneficial beyond the bug in gardens, mice, rats. Kingsnakes will eat the venomous snakes. That's a good thing! I had a meaner than heck brown water snake, they are meaner than a copperhead used to come at me by the pond. It got ate but the snake ate it tried to eat me so so I beheaded it. :o

87predator
01-06-2014, 11:46 AM
We only have rattlers here. All others get a free pass, but those buzz worms are dead if I can get them. I've even dug/ pulled them out of holes to kill them. It is real fun if they are in a rock crevice. Poke them enough, and then they get pissed and come out after you. What a rush!

rs
01-06-2014, 11:58 AM
Dont like any of them , we got lots of timber rattlers around here ,(north central pa) seems more and more every year since the great state of Pa decided to protect them , of course those that made the law dont have to deal with the snakes.

ShawneeB
01-06-2014, 02:30 PM
There is a myth in KY fish and game dropped rattlesnakes from the air to eat the turkey eggs:rolleyes: And the coyotes crossed the Mississippi when it was frozen, that's why we have them;)

Protect timber rattlers? Pygmy are the rare rattler, not timbers. What do some of these lawmakers eat to make them so ignorant.

ShawneeB
01-06-2014, 02:35 PM
87. Dad was from Kansas, Caney out by Topeka. As a kid he had babys bite his heavy shoes and leave teeth marks. They do get mad don't they! I was flying radio control gliders Palos Verde in CA off a high bowl shaped cliff for lift and came across a 6-8 foot coiled rattler. One said if I caught it, he's toss it. I pinned it with a 3' stick and he backed out. I let go the stick and scooted!

tufrthnails
01-06-2014, 07:55 PM
Here in FL hunting swamps and such I have seen a lot and I do mean a lot of cotton mouths, but I have never seen one longer then 5ft and it was huge. It is pretty safe to say if it was 7ft it is highly unlikely to be a cottonmouth. They just don't grow that long. The world record is a little over 6ft.

ShawneeB
01-06-2014, 08:05 PM
Here in FL hunting swamps and such I have seen a lot and I do mean a lot of cotton mouths, but I have never seen one longer then 5ft and it was huge. It is pretty safe to say if it was 7ft it is highly unlikely to be a cottonmouth. They just don't grow that long. The world record is a little over 6ft.

Good to know. Much rather it's not!

pdog2062
01-06-2014, 08:20 PM
Here in Texas all we have are copper mouth water rattlers,at least that is all I ever see!