PDA

View Full Version : Snakes

Pages : 1 [2] 3

ShawneeB
01-06-2014, 09:31 PM
And BIG too;)

lal357
01-06-2014, 11:04 PM
could be like my nieghbor this year he went to his shop in the back opened the door and found 2 5" cottonmouths hanging from the rafter mating . he went back to the house got his ar-15 unloaded a whole clip into them shot up the walls roof everything needless to say he doesnt like snakes.

Tnslim
01-13-2014, 04:51 AM
I'd just as soon run up on a bear than a snake. Might be able to whip that bear. I remember one time I went around behind the garage to take a leak and looked down and was peeing on a copperhead. Boots got wet, snake died.

fgw_in_fla
01-13-2014, 01:10 PM
Snakes?
Florida?
Yeah, we got 'em.
That's why God made heavy boots & gave us the ability to look up & down while we hump it thru the jungle....
http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w424/fgwinfla/swamp018.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/fgwinfla/media/swamp018.jpg.html)

Rupe
01-13-2014, 01:24 PM
I'm happy to see that I am not alone in the Hate Snakes Club.

Rupe

mazda3gun
01-14-2014, 12:52 PM
I feel the pain of snakes! Though I haven't seen many where I hunt yet, which is strange because I also fish the pond on the property during the warm months. I'm also not going looking for them!
But yeah, KY has some serious snakes that can hurt a person. Timber rattlers, cottonmouths, and racers are the most common. Along with more and more sightings of big cats and bears popping up around the state(not trying to hijack). I find myself looking in trees, steering clear of caves and cliffs, and always taking a peek behind me while hunting now.
As for snakes, we're in their world. Not the other way round. Most of them just wanna eat bugs and mice so they aren't ALL bad.

Rupe
01-14-2014, 01:16 PM
No no no, they are in our world God put us in charge of all the animals. And we screwed up by loading the ark with snakes instead of unicorns. I'm gone have words with Noah when I meet him! he hee he!

Marine24
01-17-2014, 03:31 PM
There is something about Kentucky and snakes. While on a visit down to Paducah, came across a nest of cotton mouths in the midst of mating (I think). Stepping over a log and there they were. Never worked the action on my 870 shotgun faster in my life.

Not much around here in CO and the ones we do see are usually garters and partially eaten by my dog after he gets done playing with them. Wife absolutely hates them. Routinely used to see them in VA, when we lived there. Tossed a baby one in to our wood pile that wasn't big enough to be used for fishing bait, but son ratted me out. Had to go through five cords of firewood trying to find it.

fgw_in_fla
01-17-2014, 03:54 PM
Any of you Florida guys ever cross paths with a "Coach Whip"?

It's a big 'ol darkish brown snake. I had the pleasure of meeting one while wandering around the jungle on cool November day. He was setting there sunning himself and probably laughing at me as I jumped out of my underwear. Had to be every bit of 6ft long and fat.
I thought it was a branch at first but when that particular branch turned to look at me, I knew I was wrong.

Rupe
01-17-2014, 04:15 PM
Hahaha both of those are good stories! Nothing like an 870 sounding like an auto loader to get rid of a bunch of snakes!

Rupe

Marine24
01-17-2014, 05:53 PM
Okay, last war story.

Working in Thailand with the Thai Marine Corps. After returning to the buses that took us from our base camp to the airfield we were working at, we couldn't locate our local driver. Search found him in the bushes, dead. Reconstructing the events, appears he went in to the bushes to go to the bathroom only to get bit by a snake. Based on how he was laying, doesn't appear he got very far after getting bit.

Thai Marines thought it was another day at the office. The rest of us either cleared free fire lanes or put someone on overwatch before we ventured out.

missed
01-17-2014, 06:04 PM
We have had a copper head in the barn c purlin. It was trying to get past one of the clips with a bird in its mouth and dropped it on my wife's head while she was cleaning stalls. She dumped a whole box of 12ga shot shells in it! I didn't know an 1100 had a full auto mode. ..

ShawneeB
01-17-2014, 07:24 PM
Choot, choot it!

tufrthnails
01-17-2014, 09:10 PM
Since we are sharing snake war stories......Went to pull some boxes of spare mags out of the storage room under one of the towers opened the door seen something move into a pile of rakes, shovels, and such. Just caught my eye so I stood there for sec when a small cobra (3ft 8in) slide out and stood up needless to say I had to explain why I emptied three mags before I stopped shooting it. Scared the hell out the guys in the tower. I am not scared of snakes but they had told us the Caspian Cobra was indigenous to the region. Which is the most toxic cobra in the world.

Rupe
01-18-2014, 12:38 AM
Yep like I said " The only good snake is a dead snake"
I have killed to rattlesnakes in SE Oregon. One I shot out the window of a Datsun pick up with a mag. full of .22lr and the second one I was on a dirt bike I held the clutch in with one hand and empty a mag from a little .22 pistol, then as my mom drove up in the same Datsun P-U I had her hand me dads .22 Hi Standard pistol and I fired about 7 more shots into it. Man it had to have been a whole foot and a half long once it was dead, I started wondering what happened to that 6 footer that I started shooting at? Talk about ground shrinkage!

ShawneeB
01-18-2014, 10:54 AM
You realize a snakes not dead till the following morning. Evil shoulderless vermin from hell :)

Rupe
01-18-2014, 12:38 PM
You realize a snakes not dead till the following morning. Evil shoulderless vermin from hell :)

WHAT YOU TALKIN' BOUT WILLIS? Don't say that. Sometimes the truth should not be spoken. Specially when your talking to those of us that are terrified of them. (dead or alive) Now take it back! Please?

ShawneeB
01-18-2014, 04:50 PM
No way, it's true!

Rupe
01-18-2014, 04:55 PM
No way, it's true!

I said "some times the truth should not be spoken" , So now I'm going to have ro keep shooting until there is nothing left but some goo! What a buddy you turned out to be. Hahahahaha Pay backs my friend pay backs! :-P :-)

Rupe

ShawneeB
01-19-2014, 04:50 PM
Goo snakes, the good kind :) I chopped a rattler in half with an axe once.