PDA

View Full Version : optic mounts on 111

Sam 30-06
03-04-2010, 08:03 PM
are they adjustable or are they fixed mounts, reason i ask is my wife bought me a 4-16x5o scope and it doesn't fit on the rifle, the scope ringes are either to close together to fit on the optic correctly and won't mount to the rifle ie. the front ring is back towards the bolt and not in the groove in the sight base. if i have the rings mounted on the rifle the spacing is so far apart that the ring is to far up on the scope and is right where it starts to neck up towards the objective. i was wondering if i can move the mounts on the rifle around to make it fit or just return the scope and find something else that will fit.

possum1
03-04-2010, 08:13 PM
I had the same problem on my 111. I just purchased an EGW one-piece base and used Burris ZEE Ring's. Seem's the screw spacing is wider on a long action, first long action I've had.

ellobo
03-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Look at the top of the rail, If you see screw heads then it is removable and a differnt rail can be used that has the ring mounting grooves closer together. I assume this is a new rifle. If it is a used rifle then it may be one of those that Savage made with integral scope mounts either cast into the reciever or brazed on in which case you will need a scope that is long enough to fit the spacing of the grooves.

El Lobo

Edd Panzella
03-04-2010, 08:36 PM
The 2 piece bases on my 111 were 6 inches apart and my Nikon Monarch 2.5x10x50 only had 5 inches of tube. I replaced the two piece mount with a steel one piece picatinny mount by Farrel with Warne steel rings. The picatinny mount has mounting slots all along it's length so you just use whichever pair fit your scope.

possum1
03-04-2010, 08:47 PM
I know it isn't helping Sam and sorry for hijacking the thread. Isn't this alway's a problem on long action's, on my short action look's like anything would work ???

Sam 30-06
03-04-2010, 09:12 PM
there are bolts on the bases, i was wondering about a 1 piece base but i didn't know if that would cause ejection problems.

375Win
03-04-2010, 09:17 PM
The DNZ one piece mount has the rings spaced closer together. One piece bases with multiple cross slots will give you more adjusments, or you can even cut a new one if needed.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y222/Browndaug/DeadnutzTrooperntrailer008.jpg

DNZ, they come in blue also.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y222/Browndaug/riflefs82508002.jpg

One piece base with multiple slots on a Rem

375Win

possum1
03-04-2010, 09:17 PM
can't answer that one I take my extrator's out for bench shooting.

Sam 30-06
03-04-2010, 09:33 PM
after looking into the DNZ mounts they look like the way to go, plus i like the 1 piece design, i hate high mounts but with a 50mm objective i little choice there. i've always prefered the low look over the high look, thanks for the help guys.

tacticalj
03-04-2010, 10:12 PM
I've never had any problems with my 111. I had a two peice weaver mount and a Bushnell Banner 6-18X50 on top. It worked fine, but i did put high rings on it. I have since went to a EGW 1pc base and there is no problems with ejecting or anything. Just make sure that you get the correct one, as there is a flat top and round top receiver. However, that is very easily determined by looking a the top of the action/reciever. Hope that helps

Edd Panzella
03-06-2010, 02:19 PM
there are bolts on the bases, i was wondering about a 1 piece base but i didn't know if that would cause ejection problems.

No ejection problem at all with the one piece Farrel Picatinny mount on my 111.