PDA

View Full Version : Season ends empty-handed

thermaler
01-05-2014, 10:14 PM
Well, today was my "hail Mary pass" day as the deer season closes here in the TN/GA area. I tried very hard and spent a whole lot of time in the woods over the season but never got a shot off, bow or gun. It was my first season and learned a lot--and did some incredible things like wandering around in complete dark and freezing cold on mountains off trail! : ) I'm going to spend the off-season doing some scouting so I don't waste time doing that during the season, plus I got to figure out how to change the odds so that I can start getting some deer next year! A bit depressed--yes.

David13
01-05-2014, 11:58 PM
No big deal. That is not unusual.
The deer know when the season is on, and sometimes lay quite low.
You are learning. And that's the whole idea of the thing.
dc

thermaler
01-06-2014, 02:31 AM
No big deal. That is not unusual.
The deer know when the season is on, and sometimes lay quite low.
You are learning. And that's the whole idea of the thing.
dc: )

now, about these hogs...

tufrthnails
01-06-2014, 03:38 AM
No worries before this season It had been three years since I had killed my last deer. Now those hogs you speak of. I been laying them out.

MaDa
01-06-2014, 08:07 PM
this is my third year, finally got a deer. 84lb doe. a medium size for here in SC on the coastal plain. I kinda enjoy just going out. here or in PA. its just colder in PA.

Westcliffe01
01-06-2014, 09:59 PM
My 3rd season deer hunting. Got 2 does the FIRST day out in season 1. Got 1 buck and 3 does in season 2. Got zero this year.

We had a pretty big deer die off due to EHD (a deer version of Ebola - nasty). Then the weather was warm through "gun season". Then it got colder and we had a bit of snow, but that was followed by 3 different thaws. Now, in Jan, we actually have some snow on the ground, the way you expect it to be Nov/Dec. Of course right now we have near record lows and massive wind chill that I would not like to hunt in. But the point is that many factors combine to make for an unsuccessful season. If there is no snow, it is easy for the deer to lie low, bed all day then browse at night. If it is cold, then they are pressured to come out and feed. That simply did not happen this year during season at all.

It is what it is. Now to kill some coyotes so that the fawn can survive (I only saw 1 this year)

yobuck
01-07-2014, 11:02 AM
this was my 66th year hunting in n c pa. in looking back i can say its best not to assume youve
got it figured out. things are constantly changing. sometimes its unnoticable to us as its often very subtle.
used to be those that hunted alone would hunt the same way and in the same places year after year.
deer respond to hunting pressure and today there is far less hunter pressure than in past years.
that alone is a game changer. food has always been an important issue. find it and theres apt to be deer in the vicinity.
but with hunter pressure they might be found in areas without it also. seasons seemingly never end now days.
so there is more disturbance at least as a result. then theres the coyote situation which puts pressure on them 24/7/365.
what we have today is a different animal than we had 50 years ago as a result of these things at least as to their habits.
certainly in populated areas its less noticable due to the security aspect of people. there will always be those more successfull
than others in any given season. but continued success by the same people should arouse your curiosity.

snowgetter1
01-07-2014, 04:24 PM
Thermaler, not sure about the terrain around you but think about amphibious deer hunting. Great way to scout and fish in the off season. Just use local rivers and lakes to start your search there are always plenty of deer and deer sign in the bottom lands. Plus you don't have to walk as far to hunt. Just slinging an idea your way.

thermaler
01-07-2014, 05:31 PM
Thermaler, not sure about the terrain around you but think about amphibious deer hunting. Great way to scout and fish in the off season. Just use local rivers and lakes to start your search there are always plenty of deer and deer sign in the bottom lands. Plus you don't have to walk as far to hunt. Just slinging an idea your way.I like your thinking--I'll try to see if I can find some areas that fit the bill. : )

thermaler
01-07-2014, 05:42 PM
... i can say its best not to assume youve
got it figured out..No danger of that--I'm still working on getting past "haven't got a clue."

yobuck
01-07-2014, 05:55 PM
Thermaler, not sure about the terrain around you but think about amphibious deer hunting. Great way to scout and fish in the off season. Just use local rivers and lakes to start your search there are always plenty of deer and deer sign in the bottom lands. Plus you don't have to walk as far to hunt. Just slinging an idea your way.

good idea. stream and river bottoms are always good places. the powder river valley area in eastern montana is some of the best muley
and whitetail hunting in the country.
not sure if he still does but a guy not far from where i hunt used an air boat to long range hunt the remote sidehills along the west branch
of the sesquehanna river. pull into the opposide side and glass. very good gunsmith name of clarence hammond. no doubt 82 boy and
fred would know him. some guys hunt spring gobblers from a boat also. just dont swallow the mouth call when a big one hits.

ShawneeB
01-17-2014, 09:16 PM
46 years of deer on and off. Missed my shot with a traditional muzzleloader this year. During modern carried a 30-30 and saw lots of deer, 250 yards out! For next year, a 243 Stevens 200 with Leupold VX-2 3-9x40 and CDS. Oh and a 4 wheeler, getting old and so is dragging deer 1/2 mile(when I get one :) )

BobT
01-19-2014, 10:35 AM
I just finished my 50th. season in the deer woods, I didn't kill a deer :). I have killed my share over the years though and I could have killed a doe easily opening day of rifle season, I took pictures of her instead. I hunt marginal public land so it's not unusual to go home empty handed. I get lucky on occasion though, this is last years buck.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m100/rltjlt/007-4.jpg