PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Extraction issue with my Mk ll

PeterCartwright
01-05-2014, 09:14 PM
I love my Mk ll (FVT) in every way but one: it won't extract an unfired round. Anyone else have this issue? What's the solution?

PC

fartsinpublic
01-05-2014, 09:22 PM
Does it do that with all types of ammo?

PeterCartwright
01-05-2014, 09:33 PM
First, sorry for the typo. I meant to say, "unfired" round. And yes, so far the rifle behaves the same with all rimfire ammunition tried. To be clear, it extracts fired rounds perfectly, just not unfired rounds. In addition, the bolt holds an unfired round perfectly when placed under the bolt under the extractor. It just doesn't seem to want to lock on after the round is chambered.

PC

Fiddler
01-06-2014, 11:23 AM
I had the exact same problem. I contacted a woman named Debra Roberts at Savage and she sent me two C-clamp extractor springs for free. I slipped one over the existing spring, doubling the strength of the extractor claw, and my problem was solved. This subject is covered extensively in the Savage/Stevens forum at RimfireCentral.com
Too bad that a couple of tiny issues are keeping the MK-II from being one of the greatest rifles ever. You'd think Savage would have fixed the mag and extraction problems by now. God knows there have been enough complaints over the years!
By the way, are newbies able to post photos here? I can't find a way to do it.

PeterCartwright
01-07-2014, 12:48 AM
I had the exact same problem. I contacted a woman named Debra Roberts at Savage and she sent me two C-clamp extractor springs for free. I slipped one over the existing spring, doubling the strength of the extractor claw, and my problem was solved. This subject is covered extensively in the Savage/Stevens forum at RimfireCentral.com
Too bad that a couple of tiny issues are keeping the MK-II from being one of the greatest rifles ever. You'd think Savage would have fixed the mag and extraction problems by now. God knows there have been enough complaints over the years!
By the way, are newbies able to post photos here? I can't find a way to do it.

Thanks, Fiddler. Maybe I need to give the Savage folks a call.

PC

IPSC
04-25-2014, 02:36 PM
Make sure the 2 "Extractors" are installed in the proper location. Especially if you took the gun apart for cleaning and put it back together again. The "extractor" with the sharp point at the end ( touching the case rim)....should be on the "right" side of the bolt. The extractor ( actually "cartridge holder") with the rounded tip should be on the left side of the bolt. Easy to mix up and put in the reverse positions..... bad extraction will result.