PDA

View Full Version : Cold bore POI 243 95 gr vld

Pages : 1 [2]

Londerko
01-11-2014, 02:05 PM
Glad you got it figured it out Luke! I really enjoyed following your thread. Sorry I wasn't more help in the matter. But props to the guys on the forum who have you some excellent advice.
-Leo

CharlieNC
01-11-2014, 04:02 PM
Glad to hear your perseverence paid off Luke. It's amazing to see the major impact of what a seemingly "minor" issue can cause. Did your recoil lug have a large locator pin that contributed to this? I will take a close look at this on my two Choates too.

Westcliffe01
01-11-2014, 04:19 PM
If a bedding job yields no improvement, then you have lost nothing. On the other hand, if a bedding job does result in less stress on the action, then you have gained something. A bedding job is about the least expensive thing one can do, so one should never say never.

Luke45
01-11-2014, 04:28 PM
Glad to hear your perseverence paid off Luke. It's amazing to see the major impact of what a seemingly "minor" issue can cause. Did your recoil lug have a large locator pin that contributed to this? I will take a close look at this on my two Choates too.

The locator pin on the recoil lug was normal sized, but where the locator pin sits in the aluminum block was not milled out enough! So I drilled the notch about 1/16" deeper an it fixed it. I noticed that the action sits lower in it now as well , showing that the locator pin was actually in contact with the block instead on the action

Westcliffe01
01-11-2014, 04:41 PM
This kind of detail can drive one crazy until you work it out. Sometimes you can put some playdough between the action and bedding and torque it down in stages, then afterwards the playdough will tell you if you are seating properly or not. It should all get squeezed out in the critical areas.

We also "assume" that the stock maker pays proper care and attention when they make the bedding block. It may be true 90% of the time, but what about the remaining 10% ?

Luke45
01-11-2014, 04:52 PM
This kind of detail can drive one crazy until you work it out. Sometimes you can put some playdough between the action and bedding and torque it down in stages, then afterwards the playdough will tell you if you are seating properly or not. It should all get squeezed out in the critical areas.

We also "assume" that the stock maker pays proper care and attention when they make the bedding block. It may be true 90% of the time, but what about the remaining 10% ?

Wow the play dough idea is great! I will definitly do that just to double check all the other contact points, great idea.