PDA

View Full Version : Centerfire Needing advice for Model 170 30-30

nickg405
01-05-2014, 12:39 PM
I've recently inherited a Model 170 30-30 pump from my grandfather when he passed away. When carrying a arm load of guns upstairs I had dropped the 170 down the stairs and broke the stock off of the gun. Upon further dissambly of the gun I realized that the threads in the back of the trigger assembly that the stock bolt threads into had snapped off and all the safety parts feel out as well. I know the 170's are labeled as P.O.S' s but I really would like to get it back together for my grandfathers sake. Im having trouble trying to find parts that I can order online for it, would anyone happen to know where a fella might be able to find parts new or used doesnt matter to me as long as its back together.
Thank you any info

Mad Dog
01-05-2014, 01:38 PM
Yep, that's the 170's for ya, the receivers were cast, white metal or pot metal or something goofy like that and don't take very kindly to being dropped. I had a buddy fall out of a tree stand with mine and I'm still trying to get it running again. It more or less is just need a new forearm and it's good to go again.

I think I got most of my parts at Numrich, have you tried there yet?

Sav22
01-07-2014, 01:43 AM
The 170's are built on an action originally designed as a shotgun - most of the parts are common to certain models of pump shotguns. The 170 parts lists will have the shot gun model on many of the parts. It may make a difference which version of 170 you have, there were some changes made for the 170-A other versions. I think one version used the same forearm as one of the .410 shotguns.

I had the stock break off of a shotgun and it broke the white metal attaching point as you describe with your 170. Mine broke at the end of the attachment screw and that left some threads in the stub on the receiver. I beveled the parts and ran the attachment screw in as far as it would go to hold the two pieces in alignment and then tig welded it back together using aluminum filler - the aluminum does not fuse to the steel so the screw can be removed after welding and the threads are still usable. I did not even remove the part from the receiver if I remember correctly - that was 30 or so years ago and that gun is still being used as far as I know. The gun was a 20 Gage with 3" chambers so the repair had to handle quite a bit of recoil.