PDA

View Full Version : axis xp bolt hitting scope

Pages : [1] 2

Peter p
01-05-2014, 02:11 AM
Hello, I just bought 2 axis xp in 22 250. On one rifle the bolt clears the factory scope bell fine. On the 2nd rifle the bolt hits the bell leaving scratches on the scope. Keep in mind that these are factory scope and rings...shouldn't they both clear the bell? Anybody know why this is happening and if there is a fix for it? Thanks

thomae
01-05-2014, 08:32 AM
Because of the diameter of the eyepiece at the rear of the scope, there may not be clearance with the rings and bases you are using.
I would suggest you get higher rings, or perhaps a one piece rail and rings to raise it up just enough to that you can easily cycle the action. You don't want the scope any higher than it needs to be to function properly.

Personally, I like the combination of EGW rails and Burris Signature Zee rings. There are other brands that will work, however.

This might help: http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?30048-Help-in-answering-the-question-quot-What-Height-Scope-Ring-should-I-use-quot

Peter p
01-05-2014, 09:03 AM
These are both factory scope and rings. Shouldn't they both clear the eye bell. It's odd that one does and one doesn't.

RP12
01-05-2014, 09:29 AM
These are both factory scope and rings. Shouldn't they both clear the eye bell. It's odd that one does and one doesn't.Are you saying they are pre scoped package guns ?

Peter p
01-05-2014, 10:46 AM
Yes, scoped right from the factory.

thomae
01-05-2014, 12:01 PM
If the scopes and mounts are identical, one of the scopes is likely mounted more forward (or rearward, depending on your perspective) than the other.

You can probably check this and then loosen the scope mounts and reposition the scope so that it clears. Some folks have either bent or ground/sanded down their bolt handles to accomplish the same thing.

RP12
01-05-2014, 01:23 PM
IMHO, I would not modify the gun in any way to accommodate a "factory" installed scope and mount system. You are going to be replacing them anyway I'm sure, for one reason or the other.

Peter p
01-05-2014, 05:55 PM
If the scopes and mounts are identical, one of the scopes is likely mounted more forward (or rearward, depending on your perspective) than the other. You can probably check this and then loosen the scope mounts and reposition the scope so that it clears. Some folks have either bent or ground/sanded down their bolt handles to accomplish the same thing. They are mounted the same.

fgw_in_fla
01-05-2014, 06:21 PM
I had that issue when I put the Nikon Prostaff on an Axis.
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?15888-Bolt-handle-hits-scope&highlight=bolt+handle+hits+scope

I would not recommend doing what I did....
Especially with a new rifle.

steveNChunter
01-05-2014, 06:24 PM
The package scope on the Axis XP doesn't usually last very long before it won't hold zero, crosshairs move, etc. Get a different/better scope then get a some Weaver rings and a Weaver Multi-slot base to mount it. Depending on the scope, you may have to get rings a little higher than you would otherwise need in order for the bolt to clear. It will allow you to mount the scope as far forward or back as you could possibly want to, and it costs less than half of what the EGW mount costs. There are a lot nicer, more expensive scope mounting systems, but good ole cheap Weaver stuff has never failed me. I won't advise you on what scope to get because that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

Here's a link to the Weaver Multi-slot- http://www.opticsplanet.com/weaver-multi-slot-savage-axis-rifle-scope-base-system.html?gclid=COzvzN6F6LsCFUcaOgodrX0Abg&ef_id=UrSN-AAAAZw3EjEQ:20140105220644:s

thomae
01-05-2014, 08:19 PM
Nothing at all wrong with the weaver one piece rail. I had not checked and was not sure that it was made for the Axis. It is lower in height and in price than the comparable EGW.
For rings, I'd personally go with Burris Signature Zee rings. If you use any others, I would advise lapping them to a) protect your scopes from damage,and b) to make them hold better.

steveNChunter
01-05-2014, 08:57 PM
Thomae- I've never used a set of Burris rings, what makes them better than everything else? I'm not being argumentative, I just have an inquiring mind that wants to know. The OP might be wondering as well.

Peter p
01-05-2014, 10:53 PM
I like the idea of a one piece rail but I don't think that will help my situation. The Bushnell scope that comes with the gun has a 40mm eye bell and the bolt handle touches it right across the center. Even if I raise the rings it looks like it still will hit the scope plus I don't want to go any higher than it already is. Its not the actual ball on the handle that hits the scope its the center of the handle where it has the bend. If you look at the handle you will see 2 cut outs separated by a line. Its right at the line separating the 2 cutouts that rubs against the scope. The thing that concerns me is that one rifle is fine and the other isn't. I'm going to call savage tomorrow and see what they say.

thomae
01-06-2014, 02:42 AM
Here's another thread on the same topic about the Axis bolt handle/scope clearance.
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?29442-Axis-bolt-clearance&highlight=signature+zee

I like signature zee rings because the pos-align inserts can be used to offset any issues with the mounts or rings not being aligned properly. The inserts can turn and swivel within the metal mounts as they are tightened, so they compensate for the axis of the rings being less than "true."

Also the pos-align inserts seem to grip the scope really well and they don't dent or damage the scope.

I'm not bad mouthing other scope mounts, but If I use anything other than the signature zee rings (which doesn't really happen much anymore), I take the time to true and lap the inside of the rings, which takes time, effort, and additional equipment.

:focus:
Ok, now back to the topic at hand, and that is what to do to help solve the problem of the bolt handle hitting the scope.

Hotolds442
01-06-2014, 12:44 PM
Did you try swapping the bolts to see if the other bolt handle clears the scope? It may be just a simple matter of changing the bolt handle on the one with clearance issues. Like most, you'll probably be buying tactical handles eventually anyways.....

Peter p
01-09-2014, 11:10 PM
Yes I tried swapping the bolts and it still rubs.I called Savage and they said this is the first time they heard of this???? They want me to send in the gun in so they can have a look at it.

fgw_in_fla
01-12-2014, 12:08 AM
I went thru this.
Swapped bolt handles.
Higher rings.
Highest rings I could buy....
All to no avail. I could NOT get the Nikon Prostaff to allow the bolt to clear it. I suspect the scope you have is of similar size / shape as the Prostaff.
If you don't ever plan on sending it back to the factory, grind the arm of the bolt down to allow scope clearance & be done with it. I ground mine flat & painted it until I got another Vortex.
You'll undoubtedly end up with a different scope and / or bolt handle in a year or less anyway....

Peter p
01-12-2014, 01:01 AM
What I do notice is the Bushnell sharpshooter that comes with the scope has a larger eye bell diameter than other scopes by 1/8 of an inch. I will no doubt get another scope with smaller diameter eye bell but it would have been nice to shoot the gun with factory scope until it no longer functioned. I will also be getting the weaver one piece base and new rings. I should have never bought the xp package.

fgw_in_fla
01-12-2014, 07:55 AM
That's odd that nobody at Savage caught that until you bought it. In my case, I just happened to have some Axis parts & a Nikon & stumbled into the problem.
I tried the highest rings I could find - No Joy.

As I mentioned, I ground the top of the bolt handle down to make it work. When I got tired of the Nikon, I swapped it out for a Vortex.
Problem went away & I had a funky looking bolt handle.
And a scope that sat waaaayyyy too high.

Also, as you mentioned - I broke out the 'ol calipers & started measuring eye bell diameters. Sure as snuff, the Prostaff had a bigger diameter than the other scopes I have.
Much like your Bushnell.
Somebody ought to let Savage know before there's an epidemic of ground down bolt handles out there....

Peter p
01-12-2014, 12:35 PM
What base and rings are you using for the vortex? Do you still have the high rings on it?