PDA

View Full Version : DIY Single Shot Follower?

sgt_jamez
01-05-2014, 01:29 AM
I have a 223 Hog Hunter that I have built into a 20 VT. The case is far too short to feed from the mag, and I need a single shot follower.

Would anyone care to share pics and details about how they have made their own short action follower? Thanks!

And yes, I am aware that SSS sells one. I have a message in to try to get one, but their track record for prompt replies to me made me want to make my own until I can get the real deal.

Thanks in advance!

seanhagerty
01-05-2014, 08:35 AM
Remove the magazine from the action. Cut some sheet aluminum to fit completely under the action, then torque the action down. You should have a flat bottom to your action the, just lay your round in there. (read sheet aluminium as soda can)

Stockrex
01-05-2014, 11:43 AM
it does not have be metal, you can shape one out of wood, just keep clearance for the bolt so it does not bind.

sgt_jamez
01-05-2014, 02:24 PM
I am a visual learner. Would it be possible to get some visual aids on this? Reading a post telling me to "just make one" leaves me pretty much in the dark! :)

Thanks guys!

thirty06
01-05-2014, 02:25 PM
it does not have be metal, you can shape one out of wood, just keep clearance for the bolt so it does not bind. I use 1" blue constrution styrofoam. Before someone says something so far solvent hasn't ate them up and some have been in for 6-7 yrs.

Westcliffe01
01-05-2014, 04:31 PM
This http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?24994-Cheapest-easiest-ever-single-shot-adapter&highlight=westcliffe01 was the original thread. Unfortunately, I used Fotoshack to host my images and Fotoshack went belly up a while ago, so all the images are toast.

Imaging taking a piece of thin aluminum sheet about 2" wide and 5" long. Put 2 holes in it which correspond to the action screw spacing. Now wrap the material around the action so the 5" dimension is aligned with the bore. I found that I needed to wrap it around something smaller in diameter since it has springback. Remove the fixed magazine from the stock if you have one or the stagerfeed mag from the action if you have one of those. Now put the action back in the stock with the layer of sheet metal sanwiched in there. If you now drop a cartridge through the ejection port, it will lie on the smooth surface of the aluminum you just put in there. When you feed the bolt forward, the bullet wil engage the feedramp on the action and be directed into the barrel. Very simple.

A metal or plastic one that fits into the action would be even better. I just ordered one from Midway, waiting for it to come in so I can try it. This one http://www.midwayusa.com/product/603643?cm_mmc=S_Spop-Email-_-Service_Emails-_-ShippingConf-_-ProductLink

I am a visual learner. Would it be possible to get some visual aids on this? Reading a post telling me to "just make one" leaves me pretty much in the dark! :)

Thanks guys!