PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG

rjtfroggy
03-04-2010, 10:19 AM
I thought the 260 Rem. is a take off from the 308Win. so it would be a short action caliber.
I have seen here and elsewhere guys are using long actions for their builds. WHY?
I was planning on doing one as soon as I find a donnor so do I now look for a long action or keep looking for a short action?

jlcpls
03-04-2010, 10:21 AM
you'll need the extra action and mag length in order to cycle ammunition with the bullet seated out farther, (if you plan on seating longer bullets or shorter bullets out more).

Your not wrong, just under informed.... ;)

Salvo
03-04-2010, 11:32 AM
The impression I get is that it depends upon whether you intend to build a hunting rifle, or a target/varmint rifle.

tinkerer
03-04-2010, 11:52 AM
Actually, close.

The reason for a long action is not loading a longer or more seated out bullet, but unloading a loaded long bullet. With a SA, its harder, not impossible, whereas a long action can handle unloading a loaded long bullet.

Just shoot them and its all good.

Larry
Tinkerer

rjtfroggy
03-04-2010, 12:04 PM
I already have a stock for the build from Boyd's but I am not sure about opening the barrel channel for a varmint barrel(don't want to ruin stock. It is a long action stock in blue/gray. Now I need to think about the barrel contour, I like the heavier but the sporter will fit better.

possum1
03-04-2010, 12:53 PM
Did you get the JRS classic that's on sale ? If so how does it look ? Thinking about getting one.

steveinwv
03-04-2010, 01:58 PM
My new 260 seats 140s out past 3.00". That just wont fit in a short action, unless it's confined to single shot.

rjtfroggy
03-04-2010, 02:18 PM
No the thumbhole finished for $92-sky blue.

steveinwv
03-04-2010, 10:14 PM
My new 260 seats 140s out past 3.00". That just wont fit in a short action, unless it's confined to single shot.

I have been using a digital caliper way too much. I was using my dial caliper and getting 2.99" at 0.010" off of the lands. I started looking at the shell and thought "that doesn't look like 3 inches". Measured again and it was actually 2.79" and that WILL fit a short action all day long. Don't give up on your project if you have a short action.

usngunner
03-05-2010, 03:55 AM
I build all of my .260's on short actions. But then I actually hunt with them. I don't load into the lands. ::)

steveinwv
03-05-2010, 08:05 AM
I build all of my .260's on short actions. But then I actually hunt with them. I don't load into the lands. ::)

Surely every gun is used to hunt with. My 22-250AI is loaded into the lands and it has killed more groundhogs than a 500 year flood.

BobT
03-08-2010, 02:53 AM
I already have a stock for the build from Boyd's but I am not sure about opening the barrel channel for a varmint barrel(don't want to ruin stock. It is a long action stock in blue/gray. Now I need to think about the barrel contour, I like the heavier but the sporter will fit better.

I don't think you will be able to get anything much heavier than a factory magnum contour barrel in that stock, mine doesn't have enough extra wood in the forend.

Did you get the JRS classic that's on sale ? If so how does it look ? Thinking about getting one.

I have one of those also and it is a nice stock, this one has plenty of extra wood in the forend to open up the barrel channel, It's also a fairly heavy stock.

Bob

jrmy_1
03-08-2010, 03:52 PM
I'm building a .308 on a long action. If I wanted to use the action for a long action cartridge down the road, I can, but it won't work the other way around. I don't think there is any reason to use a short action if you can help it....