PDA

View Full Version : Axis barrel change question

neohiojohn
01-03-2014, 10:41 PM
This is the first time I have changed a barrel on a Savage and so far all has gone well. The barrel vise worked and I was able to loosen the barrel nut and remove the action. Now for my question ( and yes I feel quite stupid right now). Does the barrel nut continue to screw off toward the muzzle end of the barrel or do you reverse and remove it from the action/chamber end? This is the first time this barrel has been removed and it is working rather hard in either direction at this moment and I don"t wand to screw up the threads on the barrel or the nut. Thanks in advance I have learned alot from reading and joining this group.

RP12
01-03-2014, 10:52 PM
Deleted for bad advice.

neohiojohn
01-03-2014, 10:56 PM
OK. Is it common to have what seems like a bunch of very very small BB looking things in the threads from the factory?

RP12
01-03-2014, 11:05 PM
I believe those are bluing salts, so yes it's normal. Clean the threads of everything up and apply some sort of oil or anti seize and you'll be good to go.

FW Conch
01-04-2014, 12:44 AM
"No" it is "Not" either way! The barrel nut only removes to the rear( breach) end. As stated above, clean the threads real good with penetrating oil.

Elgin
01-04-2014, 12:58 AM
Yep, those have been on every Axis I've taken apart. Definitely makes it harder to get the barrel nut off.

I've just had to keep cleaning the threads, and working the barrel nut bit by bit.

RP12
01-04-2014, 09:35 AM
I watched the video again and I was mistaken. I thought they put the nut on from the muzzle end, but they just slid the wrench over the barrel, not the nut. So I guess we know now "who" the "nut" is.:(

thomae
01-04-2014, 10:15 AM
I just checked a 458 mag barrel and a sporter 30-06 barrel and the nut will not come off toward the muzzle, only toward the breech (rear).

The crud is likely small pieces of bead blasting media. Once you carefully clean it all out of the threads, the nut should unscrew with almost no effort.

RP12
01-04-2014, 10:37 AM
thomae, is probably right on the bead blasting media as well. Sometimes I don't know why I get out of bed.:confused:

neohiojohn
01-04-2014, 03:02 PM
Thanks everyone. Everything worked fine. Now once weather gets above 0 I'll get to the range and try her out. This has been the best membership money I have spent in years, Thanks again.