PDA

View Full Version : Bolt lift kits

AZ_GUN_NUT
01-03-2014, 01:34 AM
I'm just learning about these "bolt lift kits", can someone explain how they are installed and have you found an appreciable difference in using one?

thomae
01-03-2014, 09:56 AM
Please try a search. The topic has been discussed a lot in the past.
Also there is an article in the Gunsmithing section of the articles part of the web site. http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?126-Understanding-Bolt-Lift-Kits

The bottom line is that a bolt lift kit is an attempt to reduce some of the friction forces that are part of the reason that Savage bolts can be hard to cycle.

They help somewhat, but are not a be all and end all for there are other forces that must be overcome to reduce the force needed to cycle the bolt.

jpdown
01-03-2014, 10:09 AM
Also, if you have newer Savage firing pin assembly, you may not be able to use a bolt lift kit. In and of itself, I never felt installing a bolt lift kit helped much. A longer bolt handle (more leverage) is what worked best for me.

Bike Effects
01-03-2014, 12:34 PM
Also, if you have newer Savage firing pin assembly, you may not be able to use a bolt lift kit.

Why is this? What might be different about my bolt/firing pin?

missed
01-03-2014, 01:16 PM
The back of the firing pin protrudes through the bas and that is normally where the lift kit parts would be on the capped bas guns. I polished up my bolt head and some #2ep grease on the bolt head did the trick.

RP12
01-03-2014, 02:18 PM
Most of my improvement was in polishing parts. The bolt lift kit must work, it just makes sense that it would. I do have one installed in mine, just because.