PDA

View Full Version : Does B&C stock=improved accuracy?

charlesncharge
01-02-2014, 08:44 PM
I have a savage hog hunter in .308. I am wanting to buy a bell & carlson medalist stock. I reload but haven't worked up many loads thinking the new stock may change my groups. Question is, did your rifle shoot better with the new stock? How much of a accuracy increase did u get?

quarterbore
01-02-2014, 09:23 PM
tag

barrel-nut
01-02-2014, 09:51 PM
My 10FP shot well with the original Tupperware stock. The Medalist makes it much easier and more comfortable, to shoot well. It's more about user-friendliness than inherent accuracy, although the increase in user-friendliness could make you a slightly better shooter, which could shrink your groups a little. Hope that makes sense.

FW Conch
01-02-2014, 10:33 PM
An aluminum bedding block and a full skeleton is the "bee's knee's" for me! I really like mine! ;-)

barrel-nut
01-02-2014, 11:02 PM
It is one stout stock, that is for sure.

jpdown
01-03-2014, 10:19 AM
A stiffer, heavier stock won't make accuracy potential worse. IMO, about the only thing I found to love about a Savage tupperware stock is the light weight for a carry rifle.

jim_k
01-03-2014, 12:46 PM
The Bell & Carlson Medalist is the best stock for the money. You couldn't pay me to replace one. They are more accurate if they are bedded, for sure, since the bedding is going on a solid aluminum block, and the action screws lock up on the bottom of the same block. I especially like the extension of the aluminum block into the grip of the stock, since hunting rifles typically fall off 4-wheelers and break right there. Also, the front sling swivel stud is screwed into the forward extension of the aluminum block. Without that, if you shoot a wooden-stocked rifle (or poor quality synthetic) a lot using a bipod, the swing swivel stud will pull out, and you have to replace the stock or laboriously strengthen the area around the stud with J-B Weld. Better just to avoid that and use the Bell & Carlson.

Jetpig
01-06-2014, 10:42 AM
I have one on a 700. Just the fit and feel alone is enough to make it more accurate. But, yes it does help. Went from factory plastic to this.

82boy
01-06-2014, 10:59 AM
Question is, did your rifle shoot better with the new stock? How much of a accuracy increase did u get?

The answer is no it will not improve accuracy, the gun will still shoot the same, but with that said a better stock will make it easier to shoot better scores/groups. Like a wise man told me it is like having a race car with an uncomfortable seat, sure its still fast, but it is harder to drive sitting on a 5 gal bucket.

RP12
01-09-2014, 01:14 PM
It will, only if the stock your replacing is causing accuracy issues.

chas
01-23-2014, 02:13 AM
I have been looking for information on a B&C Medalist for my Hog Hunter. Do they make one specifically for the Hog Hunter or do you get the standard barrel contour and open it up to accept the slightly heavier barrel of the Hog Hunter? I was quite disappointed in the groups my Hog Hunter shot (open sights). I would really like a better stock that is still handy enough to move around the woods on foot without becoming a heat casualty! LOL.