PDA

View Full Version : "best" tactical style rings for the money

Doogy
03-03-2010, 11:02 PM
I know "best" is purely subjective, but i'm looking for some quality tactical style rings that will stand up to 30-06 recoil, without breaking the bank.

From what i've seen so far, the Burris XTR may be one of the better values, and I like the three screw design. Anything else i should consider in the same ballpark? thanks for your input

Doug

hotbrass
03-03-2010, 11:55 PM
30-06 is not really that bad. Most all rings will work just fine.

Tactical rings are just one more example of embracing the tacticool trend. They are a bit overkill, but what isnt these days?

Burris XTR rings are a good choice. But so are Signature Zee rings.

I got some Warne so I am not immune to this trend either! 8)

Don - LongRangeSupply
03-04-2010, 01:13 AM
Another vote for Xtreme Burris rings.

On a lighter weight hard kicking rifle, Signature Rings may not hold the scope enough. No matter what I do with the Signatures on my heavy kicking guns, the scope moves in the ring inserts. Sometimes the top of the ring tilts as the scope moves forward. That same setup using the Xtreme rings has zero movement without rosin.

On my Armalite 338 Lapua, a heavy rifle with a really efficient brake, the scope moves if the inserts are not dusted with rosin, but with rosin it stays put as long as they are torqued to about 20-25 inch pounds on the tops. FYI torquing them that tight will deform the inserts on the outside where the ring body and top make contact.

rjtfroggy
03-04-2010, 08:14 AM
www.swfa.com then look up mounts and rings go to the ss mounts, they have almost the identical ring as Burris for about 1/2 the price. I use them now that I found them and can't tell the difference.

Don - LongRangeSupply
03-04-2010, 01:14 PM
www.swfa.com then look up mounts and rings go to the ss mounts, they have almost the identical ring as Burris for about 1/2 the price. I use them now that I found them and can't tell the difference.

How about a link?

Can't find what you are talking about anywhere by searching SS or SS Mounts.

rjtfroggy
03-04-2010, 02:21 PM
I just went to their site and it is gone. I am going to post over there to find out what happened, I'll let you know.
OK I pm ed the owner of SWFA and he said they are out of stock and having difficulty catching up so they took them off the web site. They will be back up as soon as they catch up.
So if you are in a hurry you'll have to go with the Burris.

Trey45
03-05-2010, 10:48 AM
I have 2 sets of the Burris Xtreme rings. I've compared them to IOR Valdada rings, which are supposedly the toughest rings on earth. The Burris has them beat.

jrmy_1
03-05-2010, 02:19 PM
The Vortex tactical rings look like a good price.
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-tactical-30mm-riflescope-ring-high

I'm going to buy a set of the SS Tactical Rings when they get them back in......

Savage Lover
03-07-2010, 12:25 AM
Weaver makes some 6 screw tactical rings, only about $35 online. I like them better than the Burris, not as clunky looking. Google them, I bet you'll like them. I have only seen them in a "high" variation. That might be the only way they come but the ones I have are not all that high anyway.

dcloco
03-07-2010, 12:43 AM
The Burris XTR's have lived well for a touch over a 1000 rounds in the 338 RUM that I built for my shooting buddy. While using 300 gr SMK's at 2950 fps, they have held up perfectly.

Of note, when purchasing any of the weaver style rings, make sure the cross bolt cannot pull through the base. A lot of the weaver style base cross bolts are only a press fit in the ring and will pull through or loosen under recoil. Have seen this multiple times.

jrmy_1
03-07-2010, 08:54 AM
I just went to their site and it is gone. I am going to post over there to find out what happened, I'll let you know.
OK I pm ed the owner of SWFA and he said they are out of stock and having difficulty catching up so they took them off the web site. They will be back up as soon as they catch up.
So if you are in a hurry you'll have to go with the Burris.

I called SWFA and they said they still have them, but they are currently out. Good new is that CheaperThanDirt.com stocks them. Here's a link to the search that produced them:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/Results.aspx?site=All+Products&num=10&q=ss+rings

I bought a set of the medium rings:
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SCP281-7.html

Great price and judging by the reviews of their SS scopes, I would assume they are top notch......we'll find out.

tbartley
03-09-2010, 11:05 AM
I've got XTR's on my rifles, but these new SS rings look like they'll do the job. Somebody must've lost the patent. Go figure. :D