PDA

View Full Version : Qutting smoking sucks!

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Road Rat
01-12-2014, 10:40 PM
Quitting smoking was so easy for me!!

I always knew if I could get away for a couple of weeks that I could quit. Well, in 1994 I had triple by-pass surgery and spent a week in the hospital and a couple of weeks at home in bed.................no problem - the desire was GONE.........

Now, I don't recommend my method to just anyone.

It took my poor wife three months to quit..............but, she did it.

Best part: we put our cigarette money into the stock market and have enough money in the account now to put the grandson through college...................now, that is worth quitting for!! He only has two more years to go.

outback andy
01-13-2014, 02:54 AM
I'm glad to here you guys are quitting, my father died this last summer from cancer caused from smoking, he fought it
for a year and a half, its a hard way to die I have to say.

David13
01-13-2014, 08:41 PM
I am going to change that thread title for you.
The new title is "I Gave Myself a Great Gift: Not Smoking".
You are born in a natural state where ... you do not smoke. You quit or left that natural state when you started to smoke.
Now you simply return to your natural state of ... not smoking.
You will have to deal with certain emotional issues, that you never dealt with. You only smoked at them. Those emotional issues will return. Once you deal with them, you will have no problem with your natural state ... of not smoking.
dc

ragsflh
01-14-2014, 06:59 AM
smoked for 35 plus yrs.next month be 9 yrs quit.still cave the damm things

mazda3gun
01-14-2014, 09:12 AM
I'm doing great as far as progress. I do still smoke a few a day, I mean a few (3-4). Which is far from a pack or pack and a half daily. I'm considering an E-cig, but that doesn't get rid of the mental and physical habits. Candy, like suckers and hard candy, and gum have helped curb cravings.
I'm hangin in there!

new hunter
01-24-2014, 10:45 AM
Mazda3gun its hard trust me. I had been smoking for a little longer then you. Last year I had a heart attack and had a stent put in. And I'm only 34 years old. I did go to dip for a few weeks to help with the with draw. Going on walks helps and so does kicking the dog and cat. But it last a month or two not weeks. Good luck.

Poor Shot
01-26-2014, 03:27 PM
I don't smoke and never have and at age 65 don't plan to start. I grew up in a house with chain smokers and was tired of the smell and trying to find my way through a heavy blue fog. It is difficult to quit but you just have to get meaner than the nicotine habit is.

Mark Twain once said that quitting smoking was easy because he had done it a thousand times.

fgw_in_fla
01-26-2014, 08:14 PM
So....
where is our resident quitter?

Are you off the smokes yet? Or still sneaking them in? I'm into the 2nd - going on third week now. I think I gained 6lbs & would kill for a Winston but hanging in there.

Anybody gotta light?

palerider338
01-30-2014, 06:30 PM
Mazda3gun its hard trust me. I had been smoking for a little longer then you. Last year I had a heart attack and had a stent put in. And I'm only 34 years old. I did go to dip for a few weeks to help with the with draw. Going on walks helps and so does kicking the dog and cat. But it last a month or two not weeks. Good luck.

Just did that drill after my first heart attack back in November. 45 year smoker.....quit cold turkey on the O.R. table when they put a patch on me and it almost triggered another attack.

So far so good.....no cravings to speak of and no real weight gain other than the usual winter 10 lb. addition.

Look at the bright side : When you quit you will have more $$$$ for ammo, etc. :thumb:

tufrthnails
01-30-2014, 07:37 PM
Still doing good here. Going on 2 months for me. Still get the occasional craving from time to time and I have gained about 5 lbs, but I am loving the extra money in my pocket.

mazda3gun
01-31-2014, 09:19 AM
I'm still going strong folks! Switched to an Ecig and it's helped a lot! I can step down and eventually phase out nicotine altogether. I've gained 10 lbs since the start of this post too, which isn't a bad thing since I'm a skinny fellar haha!
I'm not really addicted to the physical side of smoking(putting a cig to mouth/something in my hand) so I'm certain after a week or two of the Ecig without nicotine will be the easy part.

fgw_in_fla
01-31-2014, 09:57 AM
We're watching.
If you don't quit the rest of us will have to start back up and it'll be your fault.

Find a substitute for the cigarettes. A good imported Russian vodka works well. Every time you feel the urge to smoke, toss back a double shot. After 8 or 9 you'll forget about smoking. And where you live, your name, what day it is....

mazda3gun
01-31-2014, 05:08 PM
We're watching.
If you don't quit the rest of us will have to start back up and it'll be your fault.

Find a substitute for the cigarettes. A good imported Russian vodka works well. Every time you feel the urge to smoke, toss back a double shot. After 8 or 9 you'll forget about smoking. And where you live, your name, what day it is....

If only we lived in the 40's and 50's....I wouldn't know better to quit smoking and I'd be able to get drunk at work!

mazda3gun
02-05-2014, 10:00 AM
Not much to brag about, but progress none the less! 6 DAYS WITHOUT A CIG!
This E-cig is awesome! A tad harsh at times, but awesome!

fgw_in_fla
02-05-2014, 11:56 AM
6 days, you say?....

Well, that's a good start.
Right now if somebody lit up a Winston in front of me I'd rip their face off to get at it.
And it's been over 4 weeks for me.
Then, just when you think it can't possibly suck anymore than it already does, the doc tells me I gotta give up coffee, too.

thomae
02-05-2014, 12:49 PM
Mazda and Frank: Keep up the good work. It will be worth it in the long run. I'm rooting for you guys.

mazda3gun
02-05-2014, 01:00 PM
Thanks thomae!

fgw: Go to Wally World and buy the "Mistic" brand E-cig. It's what my doctor recommended. They have nicotine, but only that. None of the other bad junk. They make different grades of filters so you can step down to quit easier, and it looks like a real cig so you don't look like a doofus sucking on a 'portable hookah'. That's what I call those tacky God-awful vaporizers that use fluid lol. They look just plain ignorant.

fgw_in_fla
02-05-2014, 01:35 PM
I'm more worried about not being able to have coffee now...

In the past year the medic reamed me about:
Smoking
Salt
Coffee
Fried foods
Smoked meats
What next?
I'd say sex but I gave that up a few years ago.
I think....

mazda3gun
02-05-2014, 02:30 PM
With the recent exception of smoking, I enjoy all of those thoroughly!

mazda3gun
02-05-2014, 02:31 PM
I also drive too fast, cut blind curves, and drink beer/bourbon on the weekends.