PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket trigger: Timney vs. Rifle Basix

Pages : 1 [2]

NicfromAlabama
01-03-2014, 02:29 AM
I put a Rifle Basix trigger on mine. I was able to dial it down to 1 lb 5 oz. safely. I think Rifle Basix advertises 1-3 lbs for the trigger. I could not reliably get mine down to 1 lb., but it is a nice trigger as I have it now. It did take me a while to get it adjusted correctly and I am happy with the current weight. It is much better than the stock trigger.

steveNChunter
01-03-2014, 09:01 PM
I've heard a lot about the Rifle Basix, for and against, but it seems that not many people have had much first hand experience with the Timney. I'm surprised, I figured the Timney would be more popular

RP12
01-03-2014, 09:06 PM
I figured the Timney would be more popular as well. :confused:

thermaler
01-03-2014, 09:13 PM
I have all the triggers mentioned above on various savage rifles--I agree the SSS is one of the best (though some of you might recall it's no easy task getting it in on some models without "surgery").Between the basix and the timney I give the nod to the basix.

I'm no expert on guns, nor physics--but I'm pretty good at screwing things up if there is a way.

I personally take a jaundiced view of the "how low can you go" pursuit of match trigger performance in what were generally meant to be utility-grade hunting rifles. My rifles go out into the woods and spend a lot of time with a round in the well (which mostly don't get fired)--so my standard for safety reliability has to go beyond simply banging the butt of the rifle on the ground and calling it good.

I always handle my firearms as if loaded--but I also treat them as "safety off" even if it's on. Just sayin.

Westcliffe01
01-03-2014, 09:29 PM
Unless I am mistaken, the Timney trigger is a relative newcomer for the Savage ? Timney does say that their triggers are machined from steel, not metal injection molded. It can be done properly either way, provided all critical features are actually machined. For the money, I would think the Timney would be a safer bet than the Rifle Basix. Note the nylon inserts for thread locking on the Timney vs your applied loctite on the others. Pretty sure dimensional control is better too.