View Full Version : 221 Fireball Info Wanted!!

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Rustydust
01-04-2014, 11:54 AM
What's the projected barrel life of that round?

That is a question that I never thought of. Not for the friendly little Furball anyway. Both of mine have carbon steel barrels which generally means that they will be toast before the same would be in stainless. But truthfully, as long as it is taken care of I would guess around double the life of something on the order of a standard .223 barrel. As most folks know, flame cutting does its dirty deed on the throats of rifles from shooting. Overbore cartridges such as the .220 Swift and most of the Weatherby rounds generate a lot of flame cutting when fired resulting in sooner than normal washed out rifling directly ahead of the chamber. Cartridges that are more efficient (such as the Fireball) have much less of this issue. In mine for example, I use 15 grains of powder compared to my .223 Ackley which I use around 30 grains of powder. Different powders are used but you get my point.

Don't shoot the gun so hot that it sizzles spit, clean it every now and then and your grandkids will be shooting it some day with the same accuracy that you are getting.

limige
01-04-2014, 06:28 PM
So far the 20 vartarg turbo has my vote but keeping my eyes open.

Buzzard II
01-04-2014, 07:13 PM
Shagerott,
I had a 22-250 Savage done by Fred at SSS about 15+ years ago. I could not believe it was the same gun when I got it back! Jagged hole at 100 yards with the original Savage barrel and factory ammo! He completely redid the gun from end to end. It was one of the last guns he did with his brother redoing the laminated stock and shooting it in red toner added to the epoxy finish. It looks like a candy apple red laminate stock! Varmint Hunter magazine had done an article on Fred doing a gun just like this and I sent him mine with instructions to copy it. I trust the guy! I'm going to have him true the action and install the Brux barrel on the .221FB. Bob

shagerott
01-05-2014, 11:58 PM
Bob - I bet that Savage 22-250 is something to behold. I didn't realize Fred was doing that back then. I will have to see if I can find a copy of that article. He will do a wonderful job again and you will have another shooter to go along with that 22-250!

Buzzard II
01-18-2014, 05:10 PM
Shagerott,
If I ever get my camera to work with my computer, I'll try posting a few photos of the BVSS. Now for PLAN B! I found a mint used CZ 527 American in .221 Rem FB, so now I have 3 22-250's. Always room for another Savage. I'll sell off another 1897 Winchester this summer at a cowboy action shoot to make a little room in the safe. The Savage is a good "walking around gun" and I'm not worried about scratching it with the camo finish.

shagerott
01-21-2014, 10:32 AM
Bob - Congratulations on finding a CZ 527! Those are some good shooters (from reading) and you will not have to work on the ejection issues. Since I already committed to the 221 Rem FB on a Savage action I will be staying with plan A. I will be using a single feed adapter and leave the ejector and spring out so I can pick the spent cartridge. This is fun!

Buzzard II
01-21-2014, 11:06 AM
I'm still wanting a SAVAGE .221 Rem FB, so I'm going to save up a few bucks and take n4ue's advice in post #14 and build it on an Axis .223. I don't have the skill or tools he does, but I'm sure I can find a good gunsmith to follow the instructions n4ue has been kind enough to lay out. Then there is still the T/C Encore MGM barrel route! A little is good, a lot is better, and too much is just enough!

RustyW
01-22-2014, 12:01 AM
I put together a 221 FB a couple of years ago. Ordered a Douglas barrel and used a model 12 action from a .223. I really like the little fireball but it got taken away from me. See, I proceeded to try some cast bullets and managed to flub it up with a S.E.E. The thread is on here somewhere but I'm too lazy to do a search for it. Anyhow, it got taken away. The action was toast but I sent the barrel back to Douglas for them to check it out along w/pics and the story. I talked to them and the chamber and barrel was A O Kay so I screwed the barrel onto another action and away we went. She won't let me touch it now. She call's it "Billy"..as in Billy Bad A... http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj51/RWoolever/th_05-26-12_1951_zpsb5087438.jpg (http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj51/RWoolever/05-26-12_1951_zpsb5087438.mp4)
I was jealous so I purchased another .221 barrel from ER Shaw, purchased from a sponsor here, Gun Shack. Used a Stevens action from a .223 center feed for the donor build. I have 2ea .223 Stevens and 2ea .221 FB's now, all w/SSS triggers & Vortex Diamond Back scopes. Both FB's shoot good using 15gr of Lil Gun, Rem. 7-1/2 primers & 40gr zmax's. Couldn't be more happier w/the little FB's, easy on powder, easy to load for, fairly quiet compared to the 16" barrel .223 AR's we shoot. I use Remington brass, bought new about 2 years ago. On the 6th trip through the sizer and seems to be chugging right along.

n4ue
04-25-2014, 01:19 PM
Old topic, I know....
There is a great article on the .221 FB as used in a rifle, in this months American Rifleman. I have owned a .221 XP-100 for years and loved it except for the muzzle blast from the 10" bbl.
The reloading info for this sweet little ctg is almost always about the handgun loads.
Years ago, the Engineers at Rem said it was one of the most efficient ctg they had ever worked with.
90% of the velocity of a .223 with way less powder.
I converted an Axis .223 (I have 5) into the FB. Initally, I made a .223 'short', because some folks said it couldn't be done. It worked OK, but then I had to resize .221 brass. So, I caved and bought a .221 reamer and that was that.
NO recoil and 3500+ fps, what's not to love?

ron

Buzzard II
04-25-2014, 03:59 PM
Old topic, I know....
There is a great article on the .221 FB as used in a rifle, in this months American Rifleman. I have owned a .221 XP-100 for years and loved it except for the muzzle blast from the 10" bbl.
The reloading info for this sweet little ctg is almost always about the handgun loads.
Years ago, the Engineers at Rem said it was one of the most efficient ctg they had ever worked with.
90% of the velocity of a .223 with way less powder.
I converted an Axis .223 (I have 5) into the FB. Initally, I made a .223 'short', because some folks said it couldn't be done. It worked OK, but then I had to resize .221 brass. So, I caved and bought a .221 reamer and that was that.
NO recoil and 3500+ fps, what's not to love?

ron

Ron,
I just got my new Armerican Rifleman magazine today, I'll check out the info on the .221 FB. Thanks!
Bob

n4ue
04-25-2014, 06:24 PM
Bob, great. One thing that was VERY unusual.... I just happened to have all 4 of the recommended powders.....

ron

Buzzard II
04-26-2014, 09:51 AM
Ron,
Good for you! I'm still looking for Li'l Gun and Red Dot, but I do have others to use in the mean time. I've been haunting the powder companies lately and they swear that the supply will match the demand by Fall 2014, just as the primer situation. They all claim that hoarders will be overstocked by then and the rest of us should be able to get what we need when we need it. We'll see.
Bob

n4ue
04-27-2014, 09:27 AM
Bob, my lgs (out in the boonies) had 3 jars of Li'l Gun (I bought 2) and recently has a ton of primers. Hopefully, the hoarders will get stuck with a ton of stuff they can't flip.....
Still near riot conditions at the local Wally Worlds when the ammo comes out.... ha ha

ron

Buzzard II
04-28-2014, 09:49 AM
n4ue,
I went shooting yesterday and one of the guys I shoot with thinks he may be able to get me some Lil Gun and Red Dot. He shoots leagues in a few states and always gets powder, so it's looking good!
Bob

texasgunclass
05-11-2014, 02:15 PM
the 221 is a fun round, it's reaped pdogs out to 400yds, I built it off a stevens 200 it is a single shot with a shilen barrel

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss48/christopherhallmark78/12-12-12036_zps430abeaf.jpg (http://s560.photobucket.com/user/christopherhallmark78/media/12-12-12036_zps430abeaf.jpg.html)

Buzzard II
05-11-2014, 06:45 PM
texasgunclass,
Nice build!
Bob

shagerott
07-16-2014, 02:31 PM
It has been a while since I ordered a 221 FB from ERShaw. Update - 6 months plus later, still waiting. I called today and it is still not in the production line. I had hoped to have it for a 4th of July break from work. Missed that one. . . looking to cooler weather in the fall now.

FW Conch
07-16-2014, 06:10 PM
I knew they were backed up but I didn't think it was that long! But when you get it, and you will, I'm sure you can count on it being a good shooter :-)) ...... Jim

n4ue
07-17-2014, 05:03 PM
I guess if you REALLLLY wanted one bad 'nuf, do what I did...... Faced off a 223 bbl, and re-chambered with a PTG 221 FB reamer.
EZ enuf..... As I said a while back, I did it because my XP-100 (.221) is not too much 'fun' to shoot, but in a rifle, it's great.
I have a few new 223 bbls from here, ePay and my own rifles I've re-barreled....

ron

Nor Cal Mikie
07-17-2014, 07:12 PM
Ron:
I even considered making a "long necked" .221 fireball out of a .223 barrel but got sidetracked. Forgot what made me change directions. My XP 100 in .221 Fireball was a literal "blast" to shoot. It's called a "Fireball" for a reason.
Hitting steel out past 400+ yards would put a smile on anyones face. My pistol action got changed into a BR rifle. Still deadly accurate and much easier to shoot but, another BR pistol is in the works.
This time a 17 VHA. Should be a bughole maker with NO RECOIL to speak of. Mikie likes it!!