PDA

View Full Version : Anybody getting pop-ups and slow-downs?

Appleseed
01-01-2014, 11:21 AM
Anybody getting pop-ups and slow-downs today when logging on or switching forum topics? I clean browser history often. Logging on the site today is very+++ slow, getting oddball popups on top of threads, not the other crappy google ads to the right margin that can be closed using ">"

Machine may have gotten a bug.

J.Baker
01-01-2014, 11:31 AM
I think you picked up a bug as everything's been running slicker than dog snot for me this morning.

ShawneeB
01-01-2014, 01:25 PM
Nope, runs fine.

Appleseed
01-02-2014, 11:47 AM
Yep, getting ad today for something called sparktrust malware removal. Thanks for the heads up.

Stockrex
01-02-2014, 12:49 PM
Appleseed,
DON'T do anything
go to control panel > uninstall program> uninstall EVERYTHING that was installed in the last few days,

Then go to Microsoft and install defender/antivirus it I free and run it.

sniper15545
01-02-2014, 02:34 PM
I'm getting the same thing.

thomae
01-02-2014, 06:11 PM
Another free, but trustworthy anti virus is called malwarebytes anti virus.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/ is the website. They have a free version and you can pay for extra features if you wish.

It comes with no strings attached.

Please don't trust my word, search for reviews from reputable websites, however and you will get positive results.

disclaimer: I get no kickback from the company nor am I an employee nor do I reap any benefit from your use of this product.

Edit: I also use Spybot search and destroy as well as ad-aware (the free edition). Same disclaimer applies to those programs.

J.Baker
01-02-2014, 06:38 PM
I haven't run any anti-virus software on my computers for close to 6 years now and I've had less infections in that time than I did when I was running Nortons or McAffee. I simply mind the sites I visit and run CCleaner, Malwarebytes and Spybot Search & Destroy at least once a week.

Of course I'm the only one who uses my computer so I don't have to worry about what my wife, kids, grandkids or anyone else is doing or looking at on it that might expose it to internet cooties.

Appleseed
01-04-2014, 07:53 AM
I run Malwarebytes regurally and clear my history weekly, sometimes more. I visited a local news/sports/gossip site to ask the administrator to remove me and got hit.

I've been trying to re-install ad-aware, can't find the free download.

soutthpaw
01-04-2014, 09:55 AM
Firefox browser and install adblock+ and Ghostery add-in... no more popups or spyware or tracking etc.. problem solved. I dont see any ads on any forums i use

Appleseed
01-04-2014, 10:00 AM
Thanks all, installed ad-aware for the past hour, found 43 pieces of junk, however, it missed the one that plauges me here on the forum.

Stockrex
01-04-2014, 10:55 AM
Disable all unknown browser addons