PDA

View Full Version : My Axis scope survived through only 40 rounds

Fixmy59bug
12-31-2013, 10:27 PM
So today was the first time I took out my new Axis .308

After shooting maybe 40 rounds, not only was my shoulder sore but the reticle in the Bushnell scope that came with the rifle had moved. My crosshairs was now an X to mark the spot, but it also dropped way down.

I suppose I shouldn't be too upset about the scope that is factory installed on a $300 rifle.

But is the scope covered under the Axis warranty? If so, I will get it fixed/replaced, install it on my nephews .22 and get better glass for the .308

anyone else see something like this after only 40 rounds?

fla9-40
12-31-2013, 10:59 PM
I think that is common with that setup, the glass is real cheap! The only AXIS rifles I bought with them on them, came off before I went to the range with them.

I really don't think it would be worth the shipping to ship them back!

Don't feel to bad, like I said..... cheap glass!

J.Baker
01-01-2014, 01:53 AM
I've ended up with several of these over the years (both the old Simmons and the Bushnells) and I've come to the conclusion that I wouldn't even waste my time putting one on a kids 22 rimfire rifle. Why start them off with a handicap? Even the $30 blisterpack Banner Trophy's at Walmart are better than the factory package scopes.

The Nikon scopes on newer Trophy Hunter models are much better, but they're still of lesser quality than any Nikon you'd buy from the likes of SWFA or MidwayUSA. Savage names a price they're willing to pay for the scopes and the manufacture makes a scope that they can sell to them for that price.

ejk24
01-01-2014, 08:03 PM
I took the Bushnells off both my Axis combos that I bought on sale so no lost money for the package scopes . I gave 1 to a coworker to mount on a 10-22 . He said it lasted less than a brick of ammo when it lost its zero and the adjustments quit working . The other is just taking up space in my safe .They are cheaply made for sure .

fgw_in_fla
01-01-2014, 08:38 PM
We often hear guys defending lesser scopes and criticizing those of us who would rather see someone invest in a better piece of glass for their rifle. The disappointment in my opinion far out weighs the rejoice of a having limited success with a minimal investment scope. I am happy for those guys that can achieve their goals with a scope made for 11 USD in The PROC. For me I would rather purchase the one made for 23 USD.

Agreed. I, like so many before me, learned the hard way. After replacing the scope on my beloved '06, I went to Vortex. Never had a problem after that although the first Vortex - a Crossfire - did not survive. The reticle rotated 45 degrees.

And the Vortex warranty if great.

Moral of the story - Don't think your doing yourself any favor. Spend at least 50 bucks.....

varanid
01-02-2014, 12:56 AM
I think there's a line though. I read through a thread not too long ago on a different site where people were arguing that you had to spend at least 350-400 to get a good basic 3-9 or 4-12 scope...and sorry, but no. There's a difference between talking someone into a midrange Nikon vs a Tapco or whatever, and talking someone from a midrange Nikon/Leuopold into a midrange Ziess.

GMC-AT
01-02-2014, 01:27 AM
Nikon Prostaff, under 200 bucks...all you need

japollner
01-03-2014, 04:24 PM
I had the same thing happen to a Bushnell Banner 3-9 on my 10-22. I sent it back to Bushnell and they sent me a brand new scope.

I wonder if they would cover the scopes that come on package rifles...

redneck383
01-07-2014, 07:42 PM
I'd go find either a good Redfield or Leupold in the $200 range and use the original scope as a shooting bench paper weight. The Axis has a reputation of accuracy that deserves much better than what they leave the factory with.

2111 Marine
01-07-2014, 08:07 PM
this is what i'm not wanting to happen by having this scope break while at a range day ,been looking at some scopes but really don't have alot of money to spend on a top of the line scope plus my local range only goes out to 300 yrds . I've got a UTG/Leapers 3-9x32 bugbuster on a 9mm Carbine and really like it alot plus i really like the reset feature of the turrets .

was looking at a a UTG 1 inch 6-24x50 scope with adjustable parallax and it has the same Turrets as what is on my 3-9x32 scope . do you think this scope will handle the recoil of a .308 without coming apart on me ??

scope eye
01-07-2014, 08:13 PM
The most rugged inexpensive scopes I have found, are swifts they even last on break barrel pellet guns, which is double recoil my favorite is there 8-32X50 just over $200.00, and they stay clear all the way to 32 power.

Dean

2111 Marine
01-07-2014, 08:17 PM
The most rugged inexpensive scopes I have found, are swifts they even last on break barrel pellet guns, which is double recoil my favorite is there 8-32X50 just over $200.00, and they stay clear all the way to 32 power.

Dean

i've seen those ,so they're pretty strong to handle alot of recoil then huh ???

scope eye
01-07-2014, 08:22 PM
i've seen those ,so they're pretty strong to handle alot of recoil then huh ???

Yes they do magnum rounds and all, this is the place that has the best prices.

http://www.thesportsmonkey.com/categories/Rifle-Scopes/

Dean

new hunter
01-31-2014, 12:25 PM
I had the same problem. Would not hold zero after 40 rounds. So I found a used Nikon for around 200 I love it. And it holds up. Around 300 rounds through it. Glass is clearer too. Its not a Leopold or a high dollar scope. My wife would have my butt if I dropped big money on one lol.

n4ue
01-31-2014, 04:09 PM
So today was the first time I took out my new Axis .308

After shooting maybe 40 rounds, not only was my shoulder sore but the reticle in the Bushnell scope that came with the rifle had moved. My crosshairs was now an X to mark the spot, but it also dropped way down.

I suppose I shouldn't be too upset about the scope that is factory installed on a $300 rifle.

But is the scope covered under the Axis warranty? If so, I will get it fixed/replaced, install it on my nephews .22 and get better glass for the .308

anyone else see something like this after only 40 rounds?

I have never used the 'package' scopes. In the same vein, add some weight to the front and rear of the stock. I did that to my Axis 7-08 and it made the rifle MUCH more fun to shoot!

ron