PDA

View Full Version : Yet another leftie question

woodmann69
12-31-2013, 04:03 PM
Hi all. Longtime lurker finally registered. I have a LH Model 16 centerfeed in .223. I've found that I do not like the centerfeed aspect of the gun. I want to change the stock, and before purchasing something, I was wondering if it is possible to change it to a detachable magazine fed gun. Looking for a flush fit magazine like Savage sells-not a 10 rd CDI setup-this is a hunting/walking gun.

I realize that Savage DBM magazines are centerfeed, I don't object to that, I just don't like trying to load my centerfeed from the top in the dark (It may be fine with a .308 etc, but a .223 has about the same spacing on each side of the mag lips making it difficult by feel). I would rather load the magazine and lock it into place. If the parts are available from Savage or anywhere else any advice anyone could give would be appreciated.

Would it be possible to change it to a stagger feed magazine-probably not but I'd like it confirmed.

I need to know if this is possible/feasible before I purchase a new stock.

I read the FAQ'S and tried to search without luck. I'm sure the info is already here, but I'm not sure of the right search terms.

If any further info is required from me, let me know. Thank you in advance.

JMGlasgow
01-01-2014, 08:45 PM
It is possible to convert it to factory DBM. You would need to find the parts used or use a serial # on Savage part finder from a DBM rifle. I doubt it is possible to convert to stagger feed.

I am acquiring parts to convert my 30-06 to DBM.