PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for new build stevens 200?

thomasg
12-30-2013, 04:25 AM
Hello everyone. I just "finished" my first savage build with a savage .308 (may go to 260) going into a mcrees chassis and mounted a swfa 3-15 ffp m/m on it. Now I'm back at it and I want a little more "bang" for my buck (pun intended). I want to get a long action rifle with a little more distance. However my last build was a little more expensive than I'd like. I'm trying to get this build under 1k. I'm eyeing a stevens 200 in 300 win mag on gunbroker.

Now for the question is this a good investment ($300)? What are my aftermarket options? and what options would you recommend to get the most out of its accuracy. I'm looking for some good thrifty advice on this build to keep budget low (so my wife won't kill me). Any suggestions for a long action build?

RiverSink
12-30-2013, 09:46 AM
That's not a bad price. For accuracy I think a Boyd's stock of your choice piller and glass bedded, a rifle Basix Sav-1 trigger and a good scope and mount would serve you well.

Gun $300.00
Stock $110.00
Trigger $95.00
DNZ mount $65.00
Zeiss conquest from sample list $350.00
If my math is correct that put's you at $920.00 and there would be no reason that gun would not be accurate out to the 5-600' range. Good luck

airdale
12-31-2013, 10:13 AM
Need a little more info. on the use you intend for your "build". Lightweight hunting rig, bench rest, tactical, etc.?

I've done two builds, one on a Stevens action. My suggestion is to collect the parts over time, watch for sales (I saved on a Midway sale of Timney triggers). Not nearly as painful if you don't try to do it all at once. $300 is not too much for a donor Stevens.

Good Luck.

thomasg
01-03-2014, 09:42 PM
Need a little more info. on the use you intend for your "build". Lightweight hunting rig, bench rest, tactical, etc.?

Well right now I'm trying to keep it as light as possible, however I want it to still have that "tactical" feel. I will be hunting with it so I don't want a 20 lb rifle in my pack. I'm planning on spreading it out over time but I'd like to just get the major components so I can work on my load development. I saw a couple people mention stockade stocks. I like the look of both the monte carlo style and the tactical/prairie dog stock. But can these be modified later to fit dbm type bottom metal? I like the idea of a B&C "drop in" type stock. But as far as I can tell they don't offer an option for the stevens.

Thanks for the input.

RP12
01-03-2014, 10:08 PM
Savage and Stevens are the same.

thomasg
01-10-2014, 11:55 PM
That's not a bad price. For accuracy I think a Boyd's stock of your choice piller and glass bedded, a rifle Basix Sav-1 trigger and a good scope and mount would serve you well.

Gun $300.00
Stock $110.00
Trigger $95.00
DNZ mount $65.00
Zeiss conquest from sample list $350.00
If my math is correct that put's you at $920.00 and there would be no reason that gun would not be accurate out to the 5-600' range. Good luck

that's pretty good for the budget, however I'm not familiar with boyds stocks. Are they any good? Also does zeiss conquest have any mil based reticles or just the bdc stuff

ShawneeB
01-12-2014, 12:08 PM
I've got 2 Stevens 200's. I love em. Got top bolt release, old trigger (gunsmith, I'll slick it just fine) and a blind mag, the way I like them:p Really don't care for DBM's especially plastic, having to mess with $bottom metal$ when changing a stock etc. Works for me but to each his own. yea, I like Boyds.