PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on stock torque:

oldguy
03-03-2010, 02:55 PM
I have a Savage 12 BTVS, 223 this is the thumb hole stock heavy barrel, while shooting today had a couple
groups open up on loads that normally give me .500 as I was checking rifle over looking at scope I noticed
play in stock, yep, barrel/receiver was moving in stock, # 1 what procedure do you all tighten receiver bolts,how much torque and does anyone use locktite.

I never drop or abuse a rifle it used only for target shooting so i was somewhat surprised in finding stock loose.

rjtfroggy
03-03-2010, 05:05 PM
I place the rifle on the butt and with a little downward force snug the upper(muzzle) screw then the trigger guard, then back to muzzle end and tighten to 60 in/lbs. then the same at trigger guard.
Very seldom need to do again especially on a 223.

oldguy
03-03-2010, 07:22 PM
My procedure was like yours but never got close to 60lbs,(estimated as I don't have a proper torque driver).

docsleepy
03-03-2010, 10:12 PM
remember, he's talking 60 INCH lbs....which is 5 foot lbs, which isn't much.

oldguy
03-03-2010, 10:33 PM
remember, he's talking 60 INCH lbs....which is 5 foot lbs, which isn't much.

10.4 understand.

Don - LongRangeSupply
03-04-2010, 12:57 AM
Also do NOT go 60 - 65 inch pounds unless you have metal pillars or a metal bedding block.

You will crush the screws down into the stock otherwise. I think the torque on the non pillar / metal block stocks is something like 25 inch pounds but even that might be too much. Your best bet with those stocks is to install pillars. Very easily done using electrical lamp pipe nipples.

rjtfroggy
03-04-2010, 07:57 AM
Also do NOT go 60 - 65 inch pounds unless you have metal pillars or a metal bedding block.

You will crush the screws down into the stock otherwise. I think the torque on the non pillar / metal block stocks is something like 25 inch pounds but even that might be too much. Your best bet with those stocks is to install pillars. Very easily done using electrical lamp pipe nipples.

100% correct and I should have stated that but reading your post I assume it is a factory stock and if it is like mine it has factory pillars.

oldguy
03-04-2010, 10:17 AM
Factory laminated thumb hole stock. I tend to go very easy tightening bolts/screws as in my life time stripped /broke too many by over tightening, but again I was surprised at this set up coming loose given light recoil of the 223.

rjtfroggy
03-04-2010, 10:25 AM
Oldguy 60-65 in/lbs is not hard to get to. Just tighten by hand then give that extra little umph, not much just a little.Do not use any kind of thread sealant it isn't needed and could cause problems down the road.