PDA

View Full Version : WSM CRF to Pushfeed "firing Pin ???"

moecarama
12-28-2013, 09:37 PM
Ok, this project is coming together,BTW short action small shank, I used magnum firing pin from CRf and really concerned about protrusion?
Should I shorten to length by turning the adjustment nut of firing pin or get another firing pin? "
I have replaced the CRF bolthead with a magnum push feed bolthead, installed new ejector,spring,retaining pin, extractor,spring and detent ball. I put it all together then checked firing pin protrusion; I am getting .076 protrusion. I beleive is a little too much since my 30.06 is set at .044 protrusion.

moecarama
12-29-2013, 12:34 AM
Well,
I found a nice article on how to remedy this little issue,took some time though. I have the right firing pin after all and it just needed a minor adjustment after getting out a set of wire crimpers. Heres the article relating to firing pin protrusion. I now have 0.044 protrusion as opposed to before with 0.076.
http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?143-Firing-Pin-Protrusion-Data

moecarama
12-29-2013, 03:10 AM
Thanks, kinda got excited about the way things were coming together til I looked back at my notes. The CRF bolthead stem is 0.977 The pushfeed modified is 0.921 The lugs were the same thickness 0.496 so, I re-adjusted firing pin protrusion once more to 0.031 with 0.035 being optimal;i'm calling it quits.

@ stang thanks for all the help!