PDA

View Full Version : New mcGowan and CBI Barrels installed

masterblaster
12-28-2013, 08:34 PM
Had my CBI 300 WM bull barrel rechambered to 30-06 by Larry Racine, went from 28" to 25.5 inch, shoots great, bit over 1/2 inch, with 190 smk's and 53.3 grains of H 4350, still doing load development will post pics when I remember to bring camera. I rechambered the barrel because its almost impossible to find 300 WM brass for the past year. If things ease up a bit with 300 WM components I will get another barrel from Jim, great guy BTW.

My second barrel is a 308, Shilin #7 contour, from Mcgowan (Dennis), took the rifle to the range yesterday, shot my standard bolt 308 load of 43.1 Varget pushing a 175 smk, shooting 1/2 inch also. This was a semi custom order, had it at my house in two weeks.

Disclaimer,, I have not bore scoped these barrels , don't plan to, they shoot and that's all I care, I also don't inspect cylinder walls of my car and motorcycle engines til I have a problem.

This is the second barrel for me from both these companies, happy with all 4 barrels, 2 McGowans, 1 Rock, 1 CBI.

Very happy with both these companies, very, Dennis and Jim great to deal with.

Dennis
12-29-2013, 01:55 AM
My second barrel is a 308, Shilin #7 contour, from Mcgowan (Dennis), took the rifle to the range yesterday, shot my standard bolt 308 load of 43.1 Varget pushing a 175 smk, shooting 1/2 inch also. This was a semi custom order, had it at my house in two weeks.

masterblaster, you might want to try the Berger 185 Jag's and don't be scared to back off the lands. Approximately the same Varget load you have listed. They work great in all 3 of my 308's. The smk's are great, I tried all bullets with the 185's taking the win. 2,725 fps was my hotspot, not saying it will be yours, but I use the same load in all three at these speeds.

Sounds like you have two great barrels. I will PM my exact load if you wish, just let me know.

Take Care,
Dennis

masterblaster
12-29-2013, 02:24 PM
send it Dennis.