PDA

View Full Version : Help on a tool (Dillon?) that reformes primer pockets that got loose from reload

savageboy
08-27-2009, 12:21 AM
I have heard someone on this site or on 6mmbr. talk of a tool that I think it was Dillon or other sold that included a punch like device that reformes loose primer pockets. Anyone know what I am talking about and where I can get it. I searched Dillon's site. My 260AI Rem brass is losing primer pockets way b4 any other problem takes out the brass like neck cracks,etc.

memilanuk
08-27-2009, 12:34 AM
Try RW Hart... they sell one each for large or small pockets.

dcloco
08-27-2009, 02:00 AM
www.brianenos.com/

....and back off your load, change powder, change primers, less neck tension....something needs to change if you are killing primer pockets.

johnds
08-27-2009, 06:30 AM
Dillon makes something called a swagger tool. It is about a hundred dollars. Folks use it mostly for taking the primer crimp out of military brass. Its a great tool I hear. That may be what you are talking about.

Eric in NC
08-27-2009, 06:38 AM
The Dillon tool only takes crimps off of military brass - it won't do a thing about loose pockets. I would pitch brass that has been stressed that much.

savageboy
08-27-2009, 08:06 AM
No doubt of the issue- soft remington brass, hot loads that got hotter in the July and Aug heat at matches outside at Camp Butner, NC. I have some new Lapua brass coming and am re-doing load development to find a backed off load. The bad news was that the most accurat load was the hotter one with the softer rem brass. I was wondering if I could rework the primer pockets as the brass only has 3-4 reloads on it and the primer pockets get loose. Its a 260AI so the case hasn't even got a chance to grow yet.

savageboy
08-27-2009, 08:22 AM
All that I am finding is a reamer/ swager that removes the mil. crimp and removes metal. I am looking for something that re squishes / re forms the metal from its stretched out loose size to the proper factory tight size. The rest of the brass if perfect. Any ideas?

laportecharlie
08-27-2009, 11:51 AM
I am pretty sure you are talking about the Dillon "Super Swage 600" It's intended use is to "roll away" the crimp on the primer pocket. I had one for many years and after not using it for several years I sold it to someone on this site. Wish to hell I had it back! I have also heard of people using it to tighten up loose primer pockets but have never tried that myself. Why don't you give Dillon a call (800-223-4570)? If anyone knows they will.
Charlie

hershey
08-27-2009, 07:21 PM
i think if you took a deep stroke in a dillon swagger it would basically be pushing the pocket deeper and pulling the sides in, if your a northern ohioan swing by and we can try it....

geargrinder
08-27-2009, 08:35 PM
This is what you are looking for.

http://www.rwhart.com/store52/agora.cgi?cart_id=4002094.11897&p_id=DHB-F-SWAG&xm=on&ppinc=search2

Tightens loose primer pockets.

savageboy
08-27-2009, 09:21 PM
Dude- Word to the mothea, You da man, thanks for findn it!!!! Bob

Its mine now. I will let you know how it goes.

Bob

cdheller
10-01-2009, 02:47 PM
there may be a "work around" solution to your problem.
wolf primers.
although I have 3k on the way ; orderd 24th from powder valley.
I have no 1st hand experiance.
so I can not measure some to see if they fix your problem .

or my problem of converting a slightly larger euro type Berdan primer cup to a boxer type.

from http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,25747.0.html
"I switched to Wolf SRM several months ago, couldn"t find BR4s anymore. Bought several thousand and have been redoing all my 6br loads with them. I think the cup is at least as hard as the CCI, and handles similar velocities/pressures about the same. They are noticably larger in diameter than the silver primers, and snug right up in pockets that were getting loose with CCI"

from page 2 of same post
"I am curious to try them with my 25-06 AI and 7WSM. The .204 loves the BR4s, so I'll stick with them and the 205s for now. Once you go with the Wolfs, the pocket is stretched way out.

When seating them, try to get them deep, and if using something like a lee hand seater, you will develop some good forearm muscles seating those things."