PDA

View Full Version : Need input on powder dispenser and digital scale.

Pages : [1] 2

amtdfw
03-03-2010, 07:35 AM
I need the input from people who have used powder dispenser/scale units. I would truly like some input to the following points.

1) How easy was it work?

2) How well has it held up?

3) Know of place where to find a good price?

Thank you all for your time and trouble.

dolomite_supafly
03-03-2010, 07:56 AM
Are you talking those that are one in the same like a electronic powder dispenser or are you talking about two seperate items?

I do not have a electronic powder dispenser so I can't comment.

What I do have is a electronic scale and a couple of powder dispensers. The powder dispensers I have are both Lee, one being a Perfect Powder measure and the other being a Auto Disk. The Perfect Powder measure is cheap, both in price and how it feels because it is mostly plastic. On the up side though is that it does work and proves to be within .2 grains with most powders I have used. The Auto Disk is a little different setup and is definately better than the Perfect Powder measure, especially when loading pistol rounds. It is realitively easy to setup and use, especially with teh correct die for what you are loading. It also seems more accurate that the Perfect Powder measure and rarely goes beyond .1 grains of variance. The difference between the two are that the Perfect Powder measure can easily handle large charges of powder and can be fine tuned for charge size where the Auto Disk is more for pistol rounds and unless you have the adjustable disk can't be fine tuned.

I have a resonably priced electronic scale I picked up at a show. It works and seem pretty consistent as long as you tare it regularly while using it. The best thing about electronic scales over balance beam is, like most electronic scales, speed. Where it would take 5+ seconds for a traditional balance beam scale to show the results the electronic can do it in 1 second. This helps speed up my loading because I weigh the powder for every rifle round I load. The only down side is some electronic scales don't take to trickling of powder very well. Mine does fine but some don't.

MY thoughts
Dolomite

rjtfroggy
03-03-2010, 08:30 AM
I have one of the first RCBS units, a powder dispenser and a digital scale that work in sinc. Never had a problem with it, easy to set up or change loads and it is very accurate.I always check the weights of the load every 6-7 drops and it stays consistent through out a loading session. The only thing is if you have fluorescent lighting in the room it can and will interfere with the electronics, but I believe the newer ones have solved this problem.
They are costly and they are slower to use but I find for the powders I use they are much better than a powder thrower.

Joe O
03-03-2010, 08:59 AM
I am using Lyman's latest version of a electronic dispensor/scale and it works very well.I would wait for feedback on the new electronis Hornady ,before I bought a new one.Sinclair should have one set up for evaluation shortly,so I would talk to one of the techs there ,otherwise the RCBS or Lyman are fine.The Hornady has had time to improve over the other two,so it will be interesting to see.They offer three speeds.Could be good.Mid south shows the best price @ $218.83.

RWO
03-03-2010, 02:22 PM
I have a fairly new RCBS Chargemaster and it's accurate, fast, and glitch free so far. My shop has 25 flourescent fixtures in the ceiling and they cause no problems. Hornady has the very similar Autocharge unit out that has a multi -speed dispenser. They claim it speeds up dispensing large powder charges. I have read that both units are made by the same manufacturer, PACT. The Hornady is cheaper. I expect RCBS will be cutting their price to compete.

Online reviews clearly prefer the RCBS to the Lyman unit.

RWO

EFBell
03-03-2010, 03:28 PM
Plus one on the Chargemaster. I have one and I think it's a great timesaver.

ThorBird
03-03-2010, 03:51 PM
Can't do without my chargemaster.

Balljoint
03-03-2010, 04:40 PM
Me THREE TOO can't do without my CHARGEMASTER

rjtfroggy
03-03-2010, 05:11 PM
RWO I guess they fixed the problem with interference from lighting. As stated mine is about 10 years old maybe a little older.

lal357
03-03-2010, 10:42 PM
i use the lyman 1200-3 and wondered how i ever did it with out one . i really like the auto repeat function set it once then every time i sit the pan down it starts dumping . i still recal every 10 rnds but it only takes about 2sec and back at it

laportecharlie
03-03-2010, 11:44 PM
I now have the RCBS Chargemaster and really like it. I had an early Pact and it was a real POS

jrmy_1
03-04-2010, 04:03 PM
I now have the RCBS Chargemaster and really like it. I had an early Pact and it was a real POS

I thought PACT made the chargemaster???

laportecharlie
03-04-2010, 05:16 PM
I believe they do. The 1st version of the Pact was pure junk, the current version is supposed to be much better.
Charlie

Edd Panzella
03-04-2010, 08:50 PM
RCBS Chargemaster. Great unit and timesaver.

danw791
03-04-2010, 09:00 PM
I have a chargemaster and it is awesome.

snoog37
03-05-2010, 05:31 AM
Have (and still use) both the Chargemaster and the Lyman. Both accurate and quick.
If you made me choose one, I'd prefer the CM due to faster warmup, slightly faster throws, and easier powder changeouts.

Bad Water Bill
03-06-2010, 04:02 AM
I was going to get a chargemaster but let a friend convince me to get the piece of **** model 1200+3 from Lyman. The first one went back in a couple weeks. I am stuck with a $200.00+ piece of junk that wants me to RECALCULATE between each load and most times within 5 seconds of the last recalculation. Auto dispense, memory??? who knows as the machine will not go there. The only reason it is still contaminating my reloading bench is it is over 1 year old and I keep hoping Lyman might issue a recall. I will never part with my OHAUS purchased in the 60s and still going strong.

Blue Avenger
03-06-2010, 02:56 PM
have not played with the charge master. My friend has one after playing with my newer 2 piece Pact. he also played with my older one and the first lyman I had. first series Lyman was a poor design. He likes his charge master better. Currently leaning that way myself with all the reviews i have read.

jrmy_1
03-07-2010, 08:58 AM
have not played with the charge master. My friend has one after playing with my newer 2 piece Pact. he also played with my older one and the first lyman I had. first series Lyman was a poor design. He likes his charge master better. Currently leaning that way myself with all the reviews i have read.

Me too.

EFBell
03-11-2010, 10:21 AM
Go with the chargemaster guys. You will not be disapointed and you will wonder why you waited so long.