PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Short Range Report On My Two FV-SR's !

wlleven
12-26-2013, 04:57 PM
Well took the twins to the range today to try them out ... they both functioned flawlessly, the Apachee triggers were just great ... everything was fine except ... the winds were out of control, blowing over targets, etc, etc. I got horrible vertical stringing at 50 yds. Some groups were around an inch, some more. Scope is a Bushnell 4-12x40 Trophy with AO.

I will go back tomorrow, I tried three types of ammo, Federal Hi-Power, RWS Target and PMC target. The RWS and PMC showed some real promise the federal is still up in the air.

We will see tomorrow, hopefully the winds die down by at least 25 MPH ;- )

wll

wlleven
12-27-2013, 08:38 PM
Well, I put a .50id x.625od circular shim over the second pillar, it made a difference, did away with the horizontal stringing to a large part.

Went home after shooting today and added a second one (after some modification to the shim), to the rear pillar next to the trigger assembly, will shoot it tomorrow again. Trying to get rid of any possible variation.

Looking to get a .5 to .6 shooter at 50 yds with my FV-SR !

wll

wlleven
12-28-2013, 04:22 PM
http://photos.imageevent.com/wlleven/k10dtest/downloadphotos/Fed%20Hi%20Power%20R.pnghttp://photos.imageevent.com/wlleven/k10dtest/downloadphotos/PMC%20R.pngTwo pics from my test today. The top group is ~.465, the bottom is ~.575. Shot at 50 Yds.

All shot with my FV-SR, Boyd's Rimfire Hunter stock and 4-12x40 Bushnell Trophy scope, after some hair pulling. Comes to find out the gun being light jumps around and your bench technique is REALLY important. These groups were shot with a tight hold on the grip and the gun FIRMLY into my shoulder. If I just let the gun do its thing and had hardly any pressure on it I would get a group in the 1.25 size or a bit larger. I new right away when I got a flier as the gun would jump to my left usually and sure enough I had a right flier or two. Group one was shot with Federal Hi - Power, group two with PMC standard velocity .. both were five shot groups.

I will be building a 2 inch long x 1.5" diameter muzzle break shaped weight as I feel this light barrel needs it, it is way to easy to move that light barrel.

As far as the 1/2x5/8 shim next to the trigger housing ?, I feel that it took out a little more of the stringing that I had. I still want to place shims around the first pillar to stop any possible movement.

I might also add that I have stock screws on pretty tight, I move the barrel when set in stock an I hear a creak I will tighten a little more, It is not overly tight, but is is very firm !

Going back to the range tomorrow !

wll

ShawneeB
12-28-2013, 07:19 PM
That looks good. I'm ordering one from one of my distributors Mon if he has them. Met one in person yesterday and fell in love immediately. Plus have 2 ea 22 cans:p

wlleven
12-28-2013, 09:56 PM
That looks good. I'm ordering one from one of my distributors Mon if he has them. Met one in person yesterday and fell in love immediately. Plus have 2 ea 22 cans:p

The can might be a big help in that the gun is barrel light and a weight (can) at the end could help ;- )

wll

ShawneeB
12-30-2013, 03:03 PM
The 22 cans are not real heavy, they are Tacs, the 223 can is! Think it will make a nice package. They got a pretty cool look with a M16 A2 or 3 on them. I just couldn't see not getting one of these, they are just too cool. I have a Toz bolt 22 that just drills holes. I am sure this one will too, and quietly.

wlleven
01-02-2014, 12:37 PM
Well, went to the range yesterday and could not hit the broadside of a barn.

I aluminum tape bedded the action after putting lipstick on the receiver and seeing where it comes in contact with the stock. Did a good job and everything seems fine.

Just ordered a heavy duty bottom plate for the FV-SR also, the standard plate is just way to thin to hold up to any tightening.

wll

fartsinpublic
01-02-2014, 01:12 PM
How tight is tight on your action screws? I don't think you need to crank down to the point of deforming the bottom metal.

My rifles are held down snug, and are "one unit" with the stock, but there's not that much effort required in achieving that.

wlleven
01-02-2014, 02:03 PM
How tight is tight on your action screws? I don't think you need to crank down to the point of deforming the bottom metal.

My rifles are held down snug, and are "one unit" with the stock, but there's not that much effort required in achieving that.

Not tight, but firm. The bottom plate is very thin, the one i ordered is .125 I believe.

wll

wlleven
01-10-2014, 03:42 PM
Went out today and my best group was about .750, I had some 3 inch groups, but when I got home the rear scope rings were not tight at all on the mount, I'm sure they had been moving ... how did that happen ?

Anyway, getting new scope tomorrow and will test tomorrow afternoon or Sunday, groups the size of ping pong balls are not good as far as I'm concerned. I expect .800 ctc min with good ammo and a good gun with a light trigger pull. I should be getting in the .500-.600ctc range.

I do think my proplems may be mount or scope and rings related, just to erratic !

wll

wlleven
01-11-2014, 06:04 PM
Went out today and my best group was about .750, I had some 3 inch groups, but when I got home the rear scope rings were not tight at all on the mount, I'm sure they had been moving ... how did that happen ?

Anyway, getting new scope tomorrow and will test tomorrow afternoon or Sunday, groups the size of ping pong balls are not good as far as I'm concerned. I expect .800 ctc min with good ammo and a good gun with a light trigger pull. I should be getting in the .500-.600ctc range.

I do think my proplems may be mount or scope and rings related, just to erratic !

wll

Well, just put my UTG 4-16x44 on my FV-SR. The scope is nice for $129.00 and should do well, it is nice and bright. The clicks adjustments are not crisp, put it will do. It is brighter than the Bushnell Trophy 4-12x40 I had on by a long shot.

wll