PDA

View Full Version : Converting 111 from 7mm mag to 338 Lapua: info needed

SgtRenfro22
12-26-2013, 03:43 PM
Hello all and thank you in advance for any input and help

I have a savage 111 in 7mm rem mag with a Falcon Menace 4-14/44 scope and Ultimate Sniper stock. I still have the original 24 inch barrel on it and the factory trigger. Using hornady 156 gr sst rounds I'm shooting sub Moa groups at 100 yards. I have reached the max range of this setup at 1200 yards on a 12/12 inch target.
I want to convert to 338 lapua but I haven't been able to find any info on wether this can be done or not. I'm not worried about having it be a repeater for it is already a single shot gun any way. I'm just looking to see if I can switch the barrel, bolt face and recoil lug. I would like to get a 111 LRH factory barrel to put on but can't seem to find one

Thanks for the input and happy shooting Hooah

RiverSink
12-27-2013, 06:06 PM
Yes you can, a new bolt head and barrel. You do not need a new lug all though a precision lug would be a good idea. I am not sure but I believe a factory 338LM barrel is a large shank and your's is probably not. You could have a large shank rethreaded for a small shank though or just buy a good aftermarket barrel. Good luck