PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110 that would not shoot.

Spade Cooley
03-03-2010, 05:13 AM
Around 16 years ago I purchased a package deal, a Savage 110 in 223 Cal with a 3X 9 Bushnell Scope. It was an inexpensive rifle. The problem was, I could never get it to shoot. We did a trigger job, glass bedded it and tried different varieties of ammo. It consistently shot a 4 to 5 inch group. Why I kept it around I'll never know.

I tried it again recently at a friends home. He is a savage fan and owns a heavy barrel rifle in 223. I shot his and it grouped under an inch at 100 yds. Mine did the same huge groups when each of us shot it.

I wrote a letter to Savage about the rifle looking for options. They responded that the company had changed hands in 1995 just after my rifle was built and they could not stand behind rifles they didn't produce. They suggested repair shops that could help me. By now I had some guy who wanted it and I sold the rifle. I do not blame Savage for not standing by guns they didn't produce but I had no idea they had sold.

Yesterday I ordered a Savage 12 FV (223) and a 4 X 14 Leupold scope. I think I'll be a happy shooter with this rig.

deadeye
03-03-2010, 07:21 AM
I've never seen one that shot that poor - would like to see why.

Dan

pdog06
03-03-2010, 07:56 AM
Welcome to the site, and wish we coulda helped you figure out your old ones problem. Sorry to hear you sold the gun. It coulda been something as simple as a bottomed out scope base screw or the scope itself. For it to shoot that poorly something had to be loose, and if somebody bought it from you like that then they probably thought the same thing.

Sure you'll like your new one though. Stick around and have some fun with us...

Spade Cooley
03-03-2010, 11:27 AM
We checked out the scope and everything was tight. The muzzle looked fine. ??????????????