PDA

View Full Version : Suspected head spacing issue

jerry shaw
12-26-2013, 12:25 PM
I purchased a new Savage 12 FLV in .223 Rem this week with an interesting issue. The bolt does not rotate all the way to the closed position (all the way down). It goes far enough to allow firing. I suspect the barrel is seated just a bit too far in - perhaps a few thousandths. I figure that someone got in a hurry while setting the barrel.

Haven't fired it yet, and don't intend to any time soon.
http://i.imgur.com/AT9wBbz.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Wym8o4Y.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/OsYrcYR.jpg

I removed the stock to check that it wasn't binding. As the photo shows, it still doesn't rotate all the way even though the stock has been removed.

Should be receiving a Clymer .223 head space gauge from Brownell's in a couple of days to confirm, but I'm betting that it was improperly head spaced at the factory.

This shouldn't have happened, but it's fix-able easily enough. I plan to remove the nut, run the barrel out a bit and re-install the barrel using the head space gauge. Has anyone had this happen recently? Just curious.

JS

BillPa
12-26-2013, 01:31 PM
Also make sure the rear screw in the mount isn't too long and into the top lug recess.

Bill

jerry shaw
12-26-2013, 01:38 PM
Thanks.
I removed the receiver from the stock first thing to make sure no screws were binding. And I checked the mount screws. They don't go into the receiver too far.
That's why I assume it may be a head space problem. I think I've eliminated the other possibilities.

Patch700
12-26-2013, 02:05 PM
You completely removed the base screws to ensure no contact I assume? I don't see how the factory would even proof shoot it by looking at the pictures provided , there certainly doesn't look to be much in the way of lug contact.

sharpshooter
12-26-2013, 02:06 PM
I really doubt that the headspace is off, because it is checked by numerous people in different stages of assembly. I would suspect the problem lies in the bolt assembly somewhere. It is possible that the bolt body has been machined "out of phase",leaving the bolt handle slightly retarded in timing.

Patch700
12-26-2013, 02:13 PM
.... Also , have you been playing with the trigger group? If so remove trigger group and try cycling..

44magleo
12-26-2013, 02:19 PM
Does the bolt close fully without a cartridge?
Leo

J.Baker
12-26-2013, 02:26 PM
Does the bolt close fully without a cartridge?
Leo

+1 and more importantly, are you getting this issue when chambering a factory load or a handload?

jerry shaw
12-26-2013, 11:13 PM
Thanks everyone.
I removed the scope base. I removed the stock. The bolt still doesn't close fully.
I never placed a round in the gun - instead I attempted to close the bolt on an empty chamber. If it doesn't close properly on an empty chamber it's not going to do better with a round inserted.
Normally I would just insert another short-action bolt (I have quite a few around) to see if it closed as it should. But, since this is a left-hand bolt, I don't have another one on hand to compare it against. It's certainly possible that the bolt was improperly assembled. But that seems to also be unlikely.
I will know a lot more in a couple of days when the head space gauge arrives. That will allow me to know whether the barrel is head spaced properly.
It's pretty mystifying.
My assumption is that the barrel is screwed in just far enough to interfere with the forward movement of the bolt head as the handle moves downward. Until I remove the barrel, I can't prove that that's the problem. But, I don't want to do that until I know how it gauges.

My query was whether this is something anyone had seen before. I've not seen or heard of it. I assume it's pretty a rare phenomenon.

RP12
12-26-2013, 11:23 PM
If it doesn't close on an empty chamber, I don't think a head space gauge is going to help determine the issue.

squirrelsniper
12-27-2013, 12:11 AM
If the barrel was screwed in that far you should be able to remove the bolt, then look at the front of the bolt head and the rear of the barrel and see the issue. If the issue lies there, it should be obvious they've been rubbing against each other pretty significantly (meaning plenty of metal scrapes showing, not just light rub marks).

Personally, I think with it being a new rifle it is likely a machining issue somewhere at the rear of the bolt. Savage is pretty picky about headspacing, but I could maybe see a bolt issue getting through.

jonbearman
12-27-2013, 12:47 AM
Is there anything sitting where the abutments are like a piece of plastic or bedding compound or whatever.Get a small mirror and try to look into the area and see if anything may have gotten in there.

sharpshooter
12-27-2013, 01:12 AM
Looking at the pics, I think it is bolt handle interference. Loosen the bolt assembly screw and see if it rotates any farther. Then remove the bolt handle and look for rub marks.

jerry shaw
12-27-2013, 10:01 AM
Problem solved thanks to jonbearman.
He wrote: "Is there anything sitting where the abutments are like a piece of plastic or bedding compound or whatever.Get a small mirror and try to look into the area and see if anything may have gotten in there."

A small piece of plastic had made its way into the receiver and restricted bolt rotation just enough to keep it from closing properly. Thanks much to everyone. Proof once again that all of us are smarter than one of us. And pretty much everyone is smarter than me.

Again, thanks.

JS