PDA

View Full Version : 12bvss in 308

danf26
12-26-2013, 11:47 AM
for Christmas just got me a 12bvss in 308 and a vortex viper 6.5x20x50 scope cant wait to get it together and try it out. been interested in target shooting at long range ( 400 to 600 yards). got the stuff to start handloading also. got 168 grain berger buillets. any advice would be appreciated.

Texas Solo
12-26-2013, 12:03 PM
Excellent choice. My first Savage was a BVSS in .223. Killed a ton of varmints with it at long range (groundhogs @ 300 - 400 yards)
I have the same scope on my current F Class .223, and the Viper PST on my .308. Another excellent choice.
You'll be competitive with good factory ammo, but dial in those handloads and you'll be even better.
FWIW, I'm shooting 168gr Hornady match at 1/2 MOA with Varget, same result with SMK 175's.
Tons of options for loading the .308, have fun !

danf26
12-26-2013, 08:24 PM
Excellent choice. My first Savage was a BVSS in .223. Killed a ton of varmints with it at long range (groundhogs @ 300 - 400 yards)
I have the same scope on my current F Class .223, and the Viper PST on my .308. Another excellent choice.
You'll be competitive with good factory ammo, but dial in those handloads and you'll be even better.
FWIW, I'm shooting 168gr Hornady match at 1/2 MOA with Varget, same result with SMK 175's.
Tons of options for loading the .308, have fun !
im really new to reloading, all i ever loaded was 38 for cowboy shooting wich is simple but i think there is a little more to the rifles

Dennis
12-27-2013, 01:51 AM
Great rifle and it should be very accurate.

Do you have your reloading equipment? You should be able to find the load it likes pretty quick. You will get plenty of advice here. Probably would be a good idea to become a paid member as it will be the best money you spent along with having access to everything this site has to offer, including the classifieds. You might even find some of the reloading equipment and/or supplies you will need.

Welcome and good luck,
Dennis

danf26
12-27-2013, 07:52 AM
Great rifle and it should be very accurate.

Do you have your reloading equipment? You should be able to find the load it likes pretty quick. You will get plenty of advice here. Probably would be a good idea to become a paid member as it will be the best money you spent along with having access to everything this site has to offer, including the classifieds. You might even find some of the reloading equipment and/or supplies you will need.

Welcome and good luck,
Dennis
i think i have all the stuff for the reloading. i have a load data sent to me from the powder company, im gonna start there. i will check into the paid member status. thank you

danf26
12-27-2013, 07:52 AM
goin to try 168 gr berger to start with

Texas Solo
12-27-2013, 10:14 AM
i have a load data sent to me from the powder company, im gonna start there. i will check into the paid member status. thank you

You can get load data from the powder manufacturer online. Hogdgon has a great data site. I don't trust online load data for the most part, but when it comes from the powder manufacturer's website, I trust it. Start low, work up.

Texas Solo
12-27-2013, 10:16 AM
im really new to reloading, all i ever loaded was 38 for cowboy shooting wich is simple but i think there is a little more to the rifles

more variables = more options
brass prep is premium: sizing, trimming, weighing & sorting, primer pocket uniforming, flash hole deburring, shoulder bumping.....depends on how anal you want to get.

jonbearman
12-27-2013, 12:53 PM
The first thing to do in reloading is read the manual,then read the spots that dont make sense over and over and for Gods sake ask questions so we can steer you to a rewarding and safe fun of reloading.