PDA

View Full Version : New Savage Precision Target Action Questions

Phil3
12-25-2013, 05:56 PM
I just got a new Savage right bolt/left port action from Northland. A few questions.

1) It has three action screw holes, but the spacing is 4.40". I thought all Savage actions of late were 3.44". Or is my action an old one sitting on the shelf? The serial number begins with H90XXXX.

2) The spring that sits vertically against the underside of the rear tang looks like it has been stretched at one end. It looks coil bound except at one end. I would expect space between all coils. ???

3) Is it OK to dry fire the action? How do you decock the action without firing it?

4) A friend of mine recently acquired the same action except it is right bolt/right port. His has a small nylon pad on the receiver right where the underside of the bolt handle hits. Was this a new addition on newer actions?

Thanks.

Phil

jonbearman
12-25-2013, 06:32 PM
Hold the bolt handle up and pull the trigger and let the handle down.Your action is normal bolt spacing.What does it measure between the back and middle screw?The spring you are talking about is the rear trigger spring and that sounds normal too.You can dry fire it but I still use a-zoom snap caps.Merry Christmas.

Phil3
12-25-2013, 07:12 PM
Thanks. The distance between the middle and back screw is 2.20" (approx.). I wonder why my friend's RB/RP action recently acquired was 3.44". Will get the snap-caps. I see the bolt handle is already rubbing a shiny spot on the baffle. Guess that is normal.

Thanks.

Phil

RP12
12-25-2013, 09:16 PM
Thanks. The distance between the middle and back screw is 2.20" (approx.). I wonder why my friend's RB/RP action recently acquired was 3.44". Will get the snap-caps. I see the bolt handle is already rubbing a shiny spot on the baffle. Guess that is normal.

Thanks.

PhilYes that is normal.

JW
12-27-2013, 07:43 AM
Duplicate post
Sorry

JW
12-27-2013, 07:44 AM
I would call savage customer service and ask the same questions
Have your serial # handy

Jack

pdog06
12-27-2013, 09:46 AM
1) Yours is a New-Old stock item. The good thing about having the 4.40 spaced action is there's much more availability to aftermarket stocks since you can just buy a center feed short action stock and just use the front and rear action screws of your action.

2)the spring is fine.

3)ok to dry-fire. to decock bolt open bolt, then pull trigger while closing bolt and it will have the bolt decocked while closed. Please do us all a favor though and make sure the rifle is unloaded before doing this.........

4) unsure about the pad. Of the hundred or so actions I've had none of them have had this pad you speak of. Wouldn't be hard to cut a pc and glue it on there though if you want one.

Stockrex
12-27-2013, 02:28 PM
I checked my target actions and none of them have this "PAD".
I am curious, pls post a photo if possible.

Phil3
12-27-2013, 03:28 PM
I checked my target actions and none of them have this "PAD".
I am curious, pls post a photo if possible.

This is a photo of one with the pad on the bolt.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h270/mscott_photos/for%20sale/polishedhandle004_zpsff02c183.jpg

My friend has a recently acquired target action (RB/RP) that has 3.44" screw spacing with the pad on the action itself. If he can send a photo, I will post here.

Phil

pdog06
12-27-2013, 06:38 PM
that doesn't look like a factory job to me.

Phil3
12-27-2013, 06:53 PM
See page 17, second column, about the rubber bumper on the bolt handle and action.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/savagefiles/manuals/Manual_110LESeries-112VarmintTarget.pdf

I'd also like to know what Savage is up to with the target actions and screw spacing. If 3.44" is the newer style, then how is it that I got an action with 4.40" spacing that is a higher serial number than a friend who has a target action with 3.44" spacing? Both have serial numbers beginning with "H".

Phil

J.Baker
12-27-2013, 08:46 PM
The little rubbery pad is Savage's piss-poor excuse for a band-aid fix for the Target AccuTrigger tripping on the target actions when you cycled the bolt with anything but kid gloves on. (They've been using it for a little over a year now.) Rather than admitting the system simply isn't reliable at that low of a pull weight they put in a bumper to absorb the shock that was tripping the trigger in hopes that it would solve the problem. More often than not the bumper falls out because the attachment method is just as cheesy as the fix itself and as a result the bolt can then over-rotate.

12-27-2013, 09:06 PM
The little rubbery pad is Savage's piss-poor excuse for a band-aid fix for the Target AccuTrigger tripping on the target actions when you cycled the bolt with anything but kid gloves on.

J. Baker,

I have one of these rifles (12F) on order. Question: If the trigger does trip, it won't actually fire the gun unless the trigger(s) are depressed, right? So you'll merely have to lift and (more gingerly) lower the bolt handle to fully re-cock, correct?

More often than not the bumper falls out because the attachment method is just as cheesy as the fix itself and as a result the bolt can then over-rotate.

If the bumper does fall out, can I simply melt some TIG filler (or silicon bronze ... or even steel-filled epoxy) into the recess to prevent the bolt from over-rotating?

J.Baker
12-28-2013, 01:42 PM
J. Baker,

I have one of these rifles (12F) on order. Question: If the trigger does trip, it won't actually fire the gun unless the trigger(s) are depressed, right? So you'll merely have to lift and (more gingerly) lower the bolt handle to fully re-cock, correct?

Yes, exactly. However, IMO one shouldn't have to close the bolt with kids gloves on a "Precision Target" rifle or action. I should be able to slam it home with all the authority I can muster without it tripping the AccuTrigger.

If the bumper does fall out, can I simply melt some TIG filler (or silicon bronze ... or even steel-filled epoxy) into the recess to prevent the bolt from over-rotating?

Yep! That's exactly what Fred @ SSS does to fix the defective fix.

12-28-2013, 06:00 PM
OK, thank you for your reply.

jerry shaw
12-29-2013, 01:52 AM
I have used rubber cement (Shoe Goo) on a couple of LRPVs. Don't let that get around. I'm easily embarrassed...

supergolfer18
12-29-2013, 10:38 AM
If I remember correctly, only the 12 FClass has the 4.40 spacing. The other model 12s have the 3.44 spacing. If ordering just the action, you need to verify the screw spacing. Call Jim Briggs at NSS about the actions and the specs. He will know most anything related to your questions