PDA

View Full Version : Why so little here on McMillan?

Savage6x284
12-25-2013, 03:18 PM
I've tried most of the higher end stockmakers out there including Brown, MPI, Robertson, McMillan, ULA etc. and for my money McMillan seems the best.

McMillan can and will inlet for any configuration you could possibly dream up. Need a stock for a LH 116 with a nutless #2 Rock, a 700 TG, with the entire action shifted forward .375"? McMillan can do it!

Why do you see very little about McMillan stocks here on the premier Savage firearms site?

IMO the EDGE series of McMillan stocks are the best buys out there.

stomp442
12-25-2013, 03:58 PM
Probably comes down to money. Lots of other options available for half the cost.

geargrinder
12-25-2013, 04:24 PM
Probably comes down to money. Lots of other options available for half the cost.

+1

They are great stocks, but there are many others that provide what I need for less $$$.

BoilerUP
12-25-2013, 05:36 PM
I have two A5s on my Savages, they are fine stocks.

But I'd surmise the average Savage shooter isn't going to spend as much or more on a stock as they have in the rest of the rifle.

Savage6x284
12-25-2013, 06:09 PM
I have two A5s on my Savages, they are fine stocks.

But I'd surmise the average Savage shooter isn't going to spend as much or more on a stock as they have in the rest of the rifle.

I'd surmise that you're right.

I'd also say that this attitude is misguided.

IMO the quality inherent in the Savage 110 design deserves a top quality stock.

I view the riflestock as the most important link between man and rifle.

The analogy I use is putting store brand Primewell tires on a Porsche. Not something which appeals to me.

BoilerUP
12-25-2013, 06:15 PM
I never, ever thought I'd drop big coin on a stock.

Then I got a Manners T2.

I wouldn't say its "better" than, say, an A2 Medalist...but the ergonomics were a world better. And if it feels & fits better, you are likely to shoot better. Would have kept that T2 (Manners makes great stocks and Tom provides fantastic service), but the palm swell of the A5 is a touch smaller and it just felt better in my hand.

That said, if Bell & Carlson would make the M40 Medalist for Savage short/long centerfeed factory DBM, I'd probably never want or need another stock. I like the M40 Medalist much better than the McM HTG (though I'd probably love the A1-3).

GSRswapandslow
12-25-2013, 06:18 PM
That's a poor analogy when you think about the fact that the savage is one of the cheaper rifles out there.....I'd say its more like putting a store brand tire on a Toyota Camry. The store brand tires are all the car needs, but if you want to put r compounds (McMillan) on it.....you can, but its just to brag about.

Savage6x284
12-25-2013, 06:51 PM
That's a poor analogy when you think about the fact that the savage is one of the cheaper rifles out there.....I'd say its more like putting a store brand tire on a Toyota Camry. The store brand tires are all the car needs, but if you want to put r compounds (McMillan) on it.....you can, but its just to brag about.

And a Porsche is one of the cheaper supercars out there.

I note that many rifles in the Savage 110 line are priced well above $1000. The 110 line is no longer a cheap alternative. The Axis has taken that role.
You may call it bragging or anything else you want but I call it a wise use of my money in the furtherance of getting rifles that suit me and meet the requirements I have for my rifles.

Savage6x284
12-25-2013, 06:53 PM
I never, ever thought I'd drop big coin on a stock.

Then I got a Manners T2.

I wouldn't say its "better" than, say, an A2 Medalist...but the ergonomics were a world better. And if it feels & fits better, you are likely to shoot better. Would have kept that T2 (Manners makes great stocks and Tom provides fantastic service), but the palm swell of the A5 is a touch smaller and it just felt better in my hand.

That said, if Bell & Carlson would make the M40 Medalist for Savage short/long centerfeed factory DBM, I'd probably never want or need another stock. I like the M40 Medalist much better than the McM HTG (though I'd probably love the A1-3).

Have never tried a Manners stock. Do they offer a super lightweight stock?

BoilerUP
12-25-2013, 06:54 PM
I note that many rifles in the Savage 110 line are priced well above $1000.

Not THAT many; the 10/110BA and 10FCP McMillan are about the only ones with a street price north of a grand.

BoilerUP
12-25-2013, 06:55 PM
Have never tried a Manners stock. Do they offer a super lightweight stock?

Yes, the MCS-SL as well as their new Elite Hunter line which is four different styles.

Savage6x284
12-25-2013, 06:58 PM
Yes, the MCS-SL as well as their new Elite Hunter line which is four different styles.

I'll check them out. Thanks!

Will they inlet however I specify?

BoilerUP
12-25-2013, 07:59 PM
I'll check them out. Thanks!

Will they inlet however I specify?

Yes.

You can find more on mannersstocks.com

moecarama
12-26-2013, 12:49 AM
I never thought about a Mcmillan until I saw one a few weeks ago here in the classifieds. I hesitated and missed out on a deal that would have complete a current build on a long action. Now, I am searching for another deal on an A3 Sporter.

squirrelsniper
12-26-2013, 11:09 AM
I think a lot of it deals with two points, one of which has already been brought up.

First, I agree with some of the others that many people just aren't trying to set up an absolute top of the line rifle and aren't going to spend $500 for a pretty much basic McMillan stock and certainly aren't going to spend up to $1k on some of the more exotic options out there. While they want to build an accurate rifle, they're not looking to sink a few thousand dollars in one Savage rifle.

Second, most of those who are willing to spend the money for top of the line gear are people more like myself; they've been around precision rifles enough that they don't tend to ask a whole lot of questions. They already know what characteristics they like and what they need for their application, so they do a little checking around with manufacturers to get some specs and then they purchase. In other words, it never becomes an open discussion about what to buy.

Buzzard II
01-05-2014, 10:31 PM
I had a McMillan on my M40A1 configuration Remington 700 7.62x51. 'Nuff said!
Bob