PDA

View Full Version : Confused with Axis 1:9 and .223 bullet weight

Pages : 1 [2]

cranebird
01-06-2014, 10:33 PM
He did (Hodgdon max is 25.3gr Varget, IIRC) but his OAL is substantially longer than the 2.26" that load data is predicated on.

Thanks for the response. I seen the overall length noted. I just didn't know where he was going when loading more up to see if he could do better ? It's been years since I've reloaded and I am looking to restart, thus my reason for noticing it. I am trying to get a better idea where to start since I will be using the 69 grain MK bullet.

steveNChunter
01-07-2014, 02:45 PM
The max load in my Lyman manual is 26.0 grains at an OAL of 2.26". I'm not necessarily going to up the powder charge any more, I may play with seating depth and try going a couple tenths lower or higher with the powder just to see what happens. Starting half a grain off max when the OAL is that much longer isn't as risky as it sounds in my opinion. But don't try it just because I did it, do what feels comfortable and safe for you.

cranebird
01-07-2014, 05:10 PM
The max load in my Lyman manual is 26.0 grains at an OAL of 2.26". I'm not necessarily going to up the powder charge any more, I may play with seating depth and try going a couple tenths lower or higher with the powder just to see what happens. Starting half a grain off max when the OAL is that much longer isn't as risky as it sounds in my opinion. But don't try it just because I did it, do what feels comfortable and safe for you.

Don't mind me,I was thinking out loud in case someone like myself who is starting up doesn't make the mistake of working a load up from there. Hodgdon also states 26.0 grs max for Varget powder with the 69 grain SMK bullet . Sorry to stray off track......

Ol' BW
02-01-2014, 10:59 AM
A word about the OP question on getting started reloading. The "starter" kit and a set of dies from most any company will get you started reloading. The most important part of the whole setup is a RELOADING MANUAL. If the kit you buy does not come with one, GET ONE! Even if it is one of the Loadbook USA manuals for one caliber. (I think they start around $10.) Many are tempted to just start working up loads they find on the internet, which could be dangerous without the context of max and minimum loads and the characteristics of the powder used.

As far as the tools, as was said before, you can start with the basic tools and acquire specialize and more advanced tools when finances allow, just like any other workshop.

BW

jlnft
02-02-2014, 10:01 AM
I broke down and bought a Hornady Classic LNL kit. It has a very nice manual with it. Reloading is definitely the way to go for a accuracy. Found a nice load with 69gr Sierra MK that keeps my groups in the 1/2" range

Ol' BW
02-02-2014, 10:09 AM
:thumbup::D:D:D;)

steveNChunter
02-02-2014, 10:43 AM
That 69 gr MK is a great bullet that tends to give super accuracy with several different powders. Have an experienced reloader help you determine the length of your chamber and try seating those bullets about 0.010" off the lands. Don't just guess at it because if the bullet is seated too long for the chamber it can cause pressures to rise. 0.010" off was the sweet spot for my rifle with that bullet but of course, YMMV