PDA

View Full Version : how to measure 2 oz to 6 oz trigger

Stockrex
12-24-2013, 12:50 PM
I had my harem of savage target action rifles out to lighten the factory red accu-trigger.
How the heck do I measure a down to 6 oz.

Also, I just acquired a fine SSS evo triggered action (thanks a bunch bob), it supposed to be set at 5 oz, I want to get it down to 2 oz.

How do I measure it?

I can bend some wire and have some jewelers weights, I am thinking of rigging up something,
But how the world do you guys measure a trigger pull down to 2 oz?

ShawneeB
12-24-2013, 01:12 PM
I think backwards sometimes :p I been thinking on different ways with out fancy stuff and maybe a digital postal scale everyone has at home? 3foot stick/dowel with a protrusion for the trigger, scale on floor, muzzle down.

I've measured draw weights for bows doing similar, stick under the grip, pull down on the string. Also used fish scales but were talking pounds.

barrel-nut
12-24-2013, 01:36 PM
Stockrex, I have a standard RCBS spring-type trigger gauge that works great on heavier triggers, but doesn't go nearly light enough to do the Target Accu-Trigger or other really light triggers, like Jewell, etc. Since I've recently been doing more builds that are strictly target guns, for range use only, I've been wondering how to measure the pull weight on these, without resorting to buying another lighter trigger pull gauge. Your post prompted me to come up with an idea. Let me know what you think.
Assuming you are a handloader, or that you have access to a small digital scale that weighs in grams or ounces: Take a small length of nylon thread, maybe a foot and a half, and tie a match stick in the middle of the stick, on either end. Using small washers, like say 1/4", stick the match stick through the hole and add two washers onto the string. Weigh the whole contraption on the scale, string and washers. If its in grams, convert to ounces. Now with your rifle standing on its butt, UNLOADED, pass one side of the washer/string/matchstick combo through the trigger guard and drape it over the trigger shoe, with a washer and matchstick on either side hanging freely, and release it gently, right where your finger would go. If it trips, then you need to lighten the combo. If not, remove, add washers, re-weigh, and repeat till you make it trip. Depending on the size washers you use, this should give you a close idea of where you're at. I just came up with this and haven't yet tried it, so if I'm overlooking something obvious feel free to call me on it. Again, let me repeat, be sure you are dealing with an UNLOADED RIFLE.

stangfish
12-24-2013, 01:55 PM
I have a brush spring gauge around here from my RC racing days. It reads in ounces. I will see if I can find it. It really would not be that hard with a very light spring using a shipping scale to calibrate. just put a lb on it and lift until it reads -2 ounces and mark an indicator on your device etc...

J.Baker
12-24-2013, 09:41 PM
Pretty much need a Lyman digital gauge to measure the light triggers accurately.

squirrelsniper
12-25-2013, 12:01 AM
+1 on the Lyman digital.

Probably not as accurate and a really low tech solution but... a rifle held straight up (unloaded of course), a piece of fishing line looped around the trigger, and some fishing sinkers of known weight attached to the line can narrow it down pretty close for you.

82boy
12-25-2013, 12:28 AM
Pretty much need a Lyman digital gauge to measure the light triggers accurately.

That's what I use. and you have to be very carful with it, and watch how you handle it, to measure the trigger pull at these light weights. I have a SSS evolution trigger that breaks at 1.5 oz so yes they will go that low. I have also checked my gauge against another gauge and they show the same weights.

thomae
12-25-2013, 09:38 AM
Attach a small container on a string to the trigger. Fill the container SLOWLY with water until you trip the trigger. Weigh the container and the string on your powder scale or other reasonably accurate scale. You can estimate the water weight if you have a reasonably accurate measuring cup: 1 milliliter of water weighs approx 1 gram.

ShawneeB
12-25-2013, 05:46 PM
Not a bad idea Thomae. Or drop lead buckshot in or something. I spine arrows with a 2# (think it's 2) pill bottle of lead hanging in the middle. measure the deflection of an arm in the center. $2 version of a $150 spine tester.

82boy
12-25-2013, 06:51 PM
A 2oz trigger is so delicate, I think you would have a hard time measuring it with string and weights and so forth.

Stockrex
12-26-2013, 06:17 PM
Ok, Lyman it is, wanted to avoid buying another tool but what the heck.

I am going to test with string>bent wire > weights
I can see that the trigger guard will get in the way, I am going to remove that.

Stockrex
01-07-2014, 10:11 PM
update: lyman came in,
ran down to office and SSS evo measured at 1.9 oz
Savage LRPV - I took it down to 6.6 oz, can't go any lower as the blade takes around 5 oz and it keeps tripping any lower
Savage axis - I did not even bother, as I can hang the rifle off the trigger and it still does not trip the trigger (that is with one coil cut off the spring)

Lyman is a keeper.
I am going to check the LRPV blade spring, hmmm wonder if it can be lightened a bit.

tiny68
01-07-2014, 11:20 PM
Ok. This is the redneck version. I use a featherweight wide gap fishhook (like a 3/0). I put a low weight line on it. Cycle the bolt and stand the rifle facing straight up in my vise. I add a 1/4 oz bell weight to the string and release the full weight on the trigger very slow. Repeat until the trigger breaks. Key is to very gently release the weight so there is not jerk involved. Perfect no. But it was within 1/4 oz with compared to a Lyman of a buddies at the range. Luck, Tim

Powderfinger61
02-23-2014, 11:59 PM
Lyman Digital Scale Savage Model 12 set at 2.3oz

http://s132.photobucket.com/user/Powderfinger04/media/Savage%20trigger%20video/IMG_1279.mp4.html

Stockrex
02-27-2014, 11:18 AM
Lyman Digital Scale Savage Model 12 set at 2.3oz

http://s132.photobucket.com/user/Powderfinger04/media/Savage%20trigger%20video/IMG_1279.mp4.html

Which trigger is that?

Powderfinger61
03-12-2014, 09:44 PM
Which trigger is that?

Rifle Basix