PDA

View Full Version : modify a Bell & Carlson Medalist

broncbob
12-24-2013, 08:57 AM
I have a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock that I need to relieve the tang area and probably the barrel channel to fit a bull profile barrel.

What is the best method to remove material from this stock? I'm guessing that I will have to seal any areas whereI break through the outter layer of the stock? Any recommendations on what to use?

Any tips on painting the stock after the work is done?

FW Conch
12-24-2013, 10:43 AM
You can probably do everything you need to do buy sanding. I cleaned up my tang and barrel channel area, but it didn't need much at all for a Heavy Varmit installation. I reshaped the grip area to fit my hand and thump by sanding, and I cut the butt off and dropped it 3/4", glued and screwed it back on. I sealed the exposed fiberglass with a gel coat of polyester resin, then painted it to match the rest of the stock. O, and I reshaped the cheek rest area the same way. Worked great!........Jim

pdog06
12-24-2013, 01:04 PM
For the tang area I usually sit the action in it and take a razor blade and trace around the tang so it leaves a light mark on the stock to show what needs relieved. Then take a dremel and slowly relieve the area a little at a time till the tang is free floated.

For the barrel channel you will probably find that it a bull barrel will contact about the last 4 inches of the barrel channel. This is an easy fix by using some 80grit sandpaper and a wooden dowel that is close to the same size as the barrel diameter(you can also use a deep well socket, pc of pvc conduit, etc). Wrap the sandpaper around the dowel and sand back and forth, sliding it up and down in the barrel channel, till you get the desired width and depth in the channel that you need. This should only be about a 10 minute job, as like I said, it is most likely only the last 4 inches that touch the barrel.