PDA

View Full Version : Scope Mount for Savage 12 F-Class?

Pages : 1 [2]

ShawneeB
12-26-2013, 11:13 AM
Good vid and info!

12-27-2013, 10:11 AM
Well, I ended up going with the

TPS 1-Piece XP Tactical Picantinny-Style 20 MOA Elevated Base Savage 10 Through 16 Round Rear, Axis Short Action Matte Steel

referenced in post #19 above, but I couldn't seem to find rings "in stock" anywhere that were steel, 30mm, medium height, and for Picatinny rails for under $120, so I went to ebay and bought the $30 steel rings shown below (they're Weaver):

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/CCOP-Rifle-Scope-Weaver-Picatinny-Steel-Ring-SR-3003WL-for-30mm-tube-Size-Medium-/00/s/MTYwMFgxNjAw/z/exkAAMXQKPRSM5xq/$(KGrHqJ,!nwFIuFrlhWPBSM5)pvdRg~~60_57.JPG(Sorry for the huge image size, but I couldn't seem to link a smaller image.)

If I understand things right, reading this (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=10724/guntechdetail/Picatinny_Rails__Weaver_Rails__What_s_The_Differen ce_), you can put Weaver rings on a Picatinny rail, but not vice-versa, because the "key" on the rings that fits into the slots between the recoil lugs on the base is narrower on Weaver than on Picatinny.

Question: So long as I position the rings such that the "keys" on the rings are in contact with the recoil lugs in front of them (i.e., closer to the muzzle), I shouldn't have a problem with recoil moving the scope ... right?

Is there any downside to having the Weaver-width key in the rings not completely fill the Picatinny slot between the recoil lugs on the base? If so, I suppose I could TIG some filler onto the rings, or silver solder a tiny piece of steel in there to make the keys the proper Picatinny width, but would much prefer not to kludge things up if I can avoid it.

Is there anything else I should be concerned with, using Weaver rings on a Picatinny base?

Thank you all again for all the help. I've learned a lot from your responses, and would have been lost without your help.

pitsnipe
12-27-2013, 10:33 AM

You are correct. Just make sure that the recoil lugs of the rings are in contact with the front of the slot they sit in and tighten down the screw that holds them to the base. Lap them (with the top half's in place) if you wish, otherwise, install scope, align reticle for vertical and eye relief, and torque to specs.
Good Shootin!

Snipe

12-27-2013, 11:25 AM
Thank you, PitSnipe.

When you say "lap them with the top halfs in place" do you mean, "lap the inside of the rings so they fit the scope intimately"?

I'm not familiar with that procedure. Would it be done similarly to bedding the base to the receiver, using epoxy on the inside of the rings and a release agent on the scope tube? Or maybe wrap the scope tube with sandpaper, grit side out, and "lap" the rings to smooth out any high spots on the inside of the rings...?

Sorry for the newbie questions, I'll try to do a search.

Thanks again.

12-27-2013, 11:40 AM
Thank you, Stangfish. I think I get it now.

Stonewall_Jackson
12-31-2013, 04:12 AM
Lapping is a big reason people started using Burris Signature Zee rings isn't it? You don't need to lap with the inserts or the off-set inserts if necessary. Lapping certainly works well but your rings will be useful only mounted on the one rifle since you are modifying the rings to match the imperfections of the mounts and mount holes for that one rifle.

That's not to say that people haven't gotten very good results not using either too. The theory is that you get a perfect match between rings and scope. There will be 100% contact and there won't be any stress on the scope from the rings.

I remember when things were much worse though. I've put cut outs from pop cans under mounts to correct badly aligned mount holes. That was way more tricky than what we have to work with today. Of course my wallet wasn't nearly as effective in those days either come to think of it. But I still have one rifle that has a piece of a pop can under a mount. I've won a bunch of contests with that rifle too. It's a Savage MkIIBTV. I actually tried Burris rings on that rifle but they wouldn't compensate enough without the off-set kit so I used the old trick thinking it would only be for a short time. But it worked so I figured why fix what wasn't broke.