PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Ballistic Silvertip

Pitweiler
12-23-2013, 11:44 PM
I was able to pick up 40 rounds of this stuff (150 Gr .30-06) for $20.99 a box. I have never shot it before and was curious what kind of velocities it should produce in a standard 22 inch 110. I don't have a chronograph yet. I'm curious so that I can make a chart for it. Sighting in tomorrow (hopefully).

I know that Winchester claims 2900 fps, but I've seen chronograph figures ranging from 2990-2850 so I'm looking for some actual experiences with it.
Thanks

stangfish
12-24-2013, 03:40 AM
Barrel or Rifle will impact this. What is keeping you from checking it in your rifle?

Maztech89
12-24-2013, 09:17 AM
Somebody else's figures will mean nothing unless shot in the same weather conditions and elevation. I've had barrels differ 100 FPS with same rounds in two identical 25-06's on same bench same day same chrono.

Shoot it and see.

darkker
12-24-2013, 06:34 PM
Yep, and weather aside, there are no two chambers and barrels that are identical. Drop the Benjamin and buy a chrono. The only other way to do it is pick up your reloading manuals, and start looking at the trajectory tables. ASSuming the stated BC is correct (rarely are bullets with only 1 listed BC any good at distance), start shooting at several distances from a bench and not the drop. Then find the correct velocity.

Pitweiler
12-25-2013, 01:22 AM
I'm simply looking for people's experiences. I know all the variables associated with different barrels and chambers. If I could drop a C note on a chronograph right now I would.

I did shoot some of it today, I couldn't do a lot of group work because the range was packed, but through a 60x spotting scope groups looked to be ~.5-.75 MOA at 100 yards. It shot very nicely.

The ammo did feel hot. I had my rifle sighted in for 180 grain Core-Lokt and the BST came in about 6 inches higher POI. Once I dialed it in, it was dead center every time.

earl39
12-25-2013, 09:47 AM
you have it sighted in at 100 so shoot it at 200 and 300 and then extrapolate from there with drop charts.

Pitweiler
12-25-2013, 05:14 PM
you have it sighted in at 100 so shoot it at 200 and 300 and then extrapolate from there with drop charts.

I'm hoping to find a range where I can do that. There is one about an hour away but members only past 100. Anyone in North Georgia know a place I can safely and legally shoot out to about 300-500 yards?

Would Hornady SST ammo be similar to this ammo? I can normally find it for about $29 a box, much cheaper than $37.

emtrescue6
12-30-2013, 05:18 PM
I don't believe you could safely assume the Hornady SST ammo would preform similar to the Winchester BST (which is a Nosler Ballistic Tip made for Winchester)...apples and oranges...although you may get lucky and get a similar POI...that being said it' hard to say, your rifle may end up liking the Hornady stuff better, only one way to find out, shoot it.

Pitweiler
12-30-2013, 05:50 PM
When I said similar I was thinking more along the lines of terminal performance. I've read in a few places that the SST is more fragile than the BST.

emtrescue6
12-30-2013, 05:52 PM
When I said similar I was thinking more along the lines of terminal performance. I've read in a few places that the SST is more fragile than the BST.

Oh yes....I would agree, the SST's are more fragile than BST's (BT's) in my experience...especially when driven at faster speeds.

barrel-nut
12-31-2013, 01:45 AM
Shot a buck last January with a 150 grain SST, from a 30-06 at 2900 fps MV (handloads). This was my first experience with SST's. Buck was 130 yards away, almost broadside, quartering slightly away. Bullet entered his right side, in his right armpit area. Bullet jacket mushroomed perfectly, passed through the heart, lodged in the off side shoulder. Bullet core separated completely from the jacket, leaving lead "dust" fragments everywhere in the meat, and traveled UP HIS NECK, (edit: meaning up through his neck) and broke his spine about 6" below the base of his skull. It was the most bizarre thing I'd ever seen a bullet do. I would not have believed it if i hadn't seen it myself. Needless to say, the bullet did its job with spectacular effect; it gave new meaning to "DRT". But by the same token, it was one of the most spectacular bullet "failures" that i have ever seen by my definition of desired bullet performance, (core and jacket stay together to form a mushroom that travels in a straight line, doing much damage, leaving a nice exit wound for a good blood trail if needed). If the core hadn't broken this deer's neck, I believe I probably would have lost him, as there was absolutely no external bleeding. Did not instill a lot of confidence in me for future use. Very glad I got the deer, but easily could have gone very differently. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/31/uduhe3az.jpg

emtrescue6
12-31-2013, 12:29 PM
Shot a buck last January with a 150 grain SST, from a 30-06 at 2900 fps MV (handloads). This was my first experience with SST's. Buck was 130 yards away, almost broadside, quartering slightly away. Bullet entered his right side, in his right armpit area. Bullet jacket mushroomed perfectly, passed through the heart, lodged in the off side shoulder. Bullet core separated completely from the jacket, leaving lead "dust" fragments everywhere in the meat, and traveled UP HIS NECK, (edit: meaning up through his neck) and broke his spine about 6" below the base of his skull. It was the most bizarre thing I'd ever seen a bullet do. I would not have believed it if i hadn't seen it myself. Needless to say, the bullet did its job with spectacular effect; it gave new meaning to "DRT". But by the same token, it was one of the most spectacular bullet "failures" that i have ever seen by my definition of desired bullet performance, (core and jacket stay together to form a mushroom that travels in a straight line, doing much damage, leaving a nice exit wound for a good blood trail if needed). If the core hadn't broken this deer's neck, I believe I probably would have lost him, as there was absolutely no external bleeding. Did not instill a lot of confidence in me for future use. Very glad I got the deer, but easily could have gone very differently. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/31/uduhe3az.jpg

I have heard similar stories of SST's but not as clearly described as yours! Lucky...you got lucky! I've never shot SST's but like other Hornady bullets. My go to bullet for deer for years has been Nosler Ballistic tips and more recently Nosler AccuBonds. I have taken several deer with BT's over the years and stated loading AB's in my 270WSM about 5 years ago with awesome success. This year I took a very nice 8 point at 100 yards with a 140g AB out of my 270WM @ 3050fps...shot was broadside and through bother front shoulders, bullet was recovered just inside the hide on the opposite shoulder...perfectly mushroomed and core/jacket intact and weighed 80.3g. I've taken probably 100 deer over the years with BT's without a single failure and 20 or so deer in the last 5 years with AB's without a single failure.

barrel-nut
12-31-2013, 03:59 PM
Thanks emt, that's good info. For this year I have switched to 150 gr. NBT's (same as Silvertips?) being pushed out of my .308 at ~2950 fps, a hot load for a .308 but seems to be ok in my rifle. Unfortunately haven't had much opportunity to hunt yet, but will get a week in Alabama soon to hopefully try it out. I've avoided NBT's for a long time due to a firsthand account from a friend years ago, with a .308/150 gr., who experienced a dramatic failure on a small doe at only 80 yds. Bullet jacket was found on the ground where the deer had been standing; it looked just like my SST jacket- a mushroomed, empty cup. Deer was never found. Good to know that some folks have great success with the NBT's because I sure like the way they shoot and would really like to see them work well if I can manage to put one into a deer. Here's a pic of the SST jacket from my deer: http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/01/vejy6a2u.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/01/pa2yrabu.jpg

And the kind of groups the NBT's deliver in my rifle- of course they're not all like that, but close:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/01/ta9e5eby.jpg

I want to stress that I'm not calling the SST's "junk" or downing Hornady products in any way. I love their AMax bullets and have used them on hogs, with head shots, with great success. But I'm just not real comfortable with a bullet that is likely to part company with half of itself immediately on impact. If that bullet core had taken a left and went into my deer's stomach, instead of taking a right and severing it's neck, the results would surely not have been good, with no blood trail at all in really thick cover. I respect the animals I take too much to take unnecessary chances with bullets that may react unpredictably. Also, I had to throw away the entire off shoulder, and the entire neck, due to all the tiny lead fragments in the meat.

emtrescue6
12-31-2013, 06:22 PM
Thanks emt, that's good info. For this year I have switched to 150 gr. NBT's (same as Silvertips?) being pushed out of my .308 at ~2950 fps, a hot load for a .308 but seems to be ok in my rifle. Unfortunately haven't had much opportunity to hunt yet, but will get a week in Alabama soon to hopefully try it out. I've avoided NBT's for a long time due to a firsthand account from a friend years ago, with a .308/150 gr., who experienced a dramatic failure on a small doe at only 80 yds. Bullet jacket was found on the ground where the deer had been standing; it looked just like my SST jacket- a mushroomed, empty cup. Deer was never found. Good to know that some folks have great success with the NBT's because I sure like the way they shoot and would really like to see them work well if I can manage to put one into a deer. Here's a pic of the SST jacket from my deer: http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/01/vejy6a2u.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/01/pa2yrabu.jpg

And the kind of groups the NBT's deliver in my rifle- of course they're not all like that, but close:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/01/ta9e5eby.jpg

I want to stress that I'm not calling the SST's "junk" or downing Hornady products in any way. I love their AMax bullets and have used them on hogs, with head shots, with great success. But I'm just not real comfortable with a bullet that is likely to part company with half of itself immediately on impact. If that bullet core had taken a left and went into my deer's stomach, instead of taking a right and severing it's neck, the results would surely not have been good, with no blood trail at all in really thick cover. I respect the animals I take too much to take unnecessary chances with bullets that may react unpredictably. Also, I had to throw away the entire off shoulder, and the entire neck, due to all the tiny lead fragments in the meat.

I have shot the 150 BT's from my older Savage 99 in 308 at very similar velocities as you posted in years past with very good results. It was my favorite load and rifle for years when I hunted out west for Blacktail and Muley's in WA/OR. I've never experienced a failure in that load either and have taken plenty of deer and a few elk with it. My grandfather also used the 150g BT's for years with success. Happy hunting!