PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Anything to recommend the Mark II?

dbooksta
08-26-2009, 11:35 AM
I have been a fan of Savage's centerfire rifles for years, so when I went to buy another .22LR I didn't think twice before picking up a Mark II-FV. I guess I should have.

This doesn't have the same Accutrigger as their centerfire rifles -- it can't be taken any lighter than 2.5 pounds! The standard stock is a pathetic piece of molded plastic, but unlike for 10/22's it turns out there isn't a big aftermarket for replacements stocks. Same problem with triggers and magazines.

Is there any reason to buy a Mark II instead of a 10/22?

varmitbuster
08-26-2009, 03:57 PM
yep. there is a reason there isn't alot of after market parts for these rifles. they shoot pretty darned well without replacing everything. there are companies that make after market stocks for them. there are companies that make after market triggers as well. if you have the non-accutrigger you can shim it to get the pull down. if you have a accu-trigger you can do things to it as well. the spring in the rimfire accutrigger is a heavier gauge than what is in centerfires. you CAN replace that spring with one out of a centerfire. i have done it to mine.

dbooksta
08-26-2009, 05:52 PM
I have one of the Accutrigger ones. How light can you get it with a centerfire trigger spring?

CL1KKL4C
08-26-2009, 09:36 PM
I love my MKII, and it actually caused me to buy a savage centerfire.

As far as your trigger; I have talked to people that were unhappy with the weight of it and ended up cutting a coil off the spring to lighten it up a bit. Although I haven't done it personally I'm sure a quick search on-line will show you plenty of people that went that route. Also like Varmit buster stated I've read about people swapping springs out as well.

Concerning the stock.. The synthetic they offer is quite poor which is why I opted for the thumbhole laminate. SSS and Stockade offer stocks but the wait might be a while, and last time I checked stockade wasn't inletting for rimfires right now. Boyd's also makes a laminate for the MKII and I believe you can actually contact Savage and buy a Laminate directly through them. A member on another forum said he ordered a laminate from savage for 80bucks.

Don't give up on the MKII quite yet its a great little rifle, if you have anyother questions PM me and I can send you a couple links where you might find a few more tricks

-Art

Monkeymaster
08-26-2009, 10:16 PM
I would like to see them make a cleaner clip, I would really like to see them use the rotary clip, like the 10/22, makes slinging your rifle much, much more comfortable, and shooting prone a little easier.
Walking through the woods rabbit and squirrel hunting, it just sucks having that clip chewing into your back.
I cannot complain about the shooting it does though !
Just my thoughts !

varmitbuster
08-26-2009, 10:52 PM
each rifle is different so mileage may vary. i replaced the spring in my accutrigger with one out of a centerfire. i trimmed it and stretched it out and have the one on my rifle down to 8ozs. now just because i have mine down that far doesn't mean everybody will. i also removed the centerblade in my trigger. there was alot of polishing involved with mine as well. you could very well get down to under a pound easily. i have tried to get mine to slam fire and everything with out any luck on it. the safety works just like it should as well. just give it a try. you'll like it. i got the centerfire spring for mine from a centerfire rework i did. there is a trick for centerfires that i found out last november. i made a post in the centerfire section and nobody paid any mind to it till a few monthes later when somebody who pays to post on here said something about it. oh well such is life!!!!

tammons
08-26-2009, 11:12 PM
I got my accutrigger down to about 10-12 oz.

varmitbuster
08-27-2009, 01:19 PM
I would like to see them make a cleaner clip, I would really like to see them use the rotary clip, like the 10/22, makes slinging your rifle much, much more comfortable, and shooting prone a little easier.
Walking through the woods rabbit and squirrel hunting, it just sucks having that clip chewing into your back.
Just my thoughts !

the magazine has never been that big of a problem. i hunt with mine in some really grown up places. i carry mine so i have never had a problem with the magazine. i would like to see a more flush mounted magazine, but that would push up the price of the rifle, so why change it.

dbooksta
09-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Any good places to buy centerfire AccuTrigger springs to swap onto the MkII trigger? I can't find them at Brownells or Midway, and Savage said they will only sell trigger parts to "licensed" gunsmiths, whatever that means.

BTW, while on the phone I asked for the price on the laminate thumbhole stock: $235! Maybe I don't qualify for the preferred customer discount because I only own three savage rifles....

Of course if I'm upgrading the stock I would really like something more customizable, like their BAT/S-K stock. E.g., I love my Choate Ultimate Varmint stock since it can be adjusted for comb and length of pull, and it has a butt elevation screw for use on a bench. Has anybody seen something like that for the MkII?

firemachine69
09-05-2009, 09:52 AM
Any good places to buy centerfire AccuTrigger springs to swap onto the MkII trigger? I can't find them at Brownells or Midway, and Savage said they will only sell trigger parts to "licensed" gunsmiths, whatever that means.

BTW, while on the phone I asked for the price on the laminate thumbhole stock: $235! Maybe I don't qualify for the preferred customer discount because I only own three savage rifles....

Welcome to the "Savage Custom Shop". What you have seen is the norm, not the exception.

Cycler
09-22-2009, 09:10 PM
Just my thoughts !

Are you using the 10-round magazine? It does stick out quite a bit. Try the 5-round version as they are much closer to flush fitting and less likely to bother you when carrying the rifle slung or shooting from prone.

firemachine69
09-23-2009, 04:46 PM
I was expecting the ten-rounder when I purchased my mkII. I got the five-rounder. Purchased a spare ten-rounder, and after one walk in the woods, was more than happy to have the five-rounder as a stock mag. YMMV, of course.

King Ghidora
09-27-2009, 08:00 AM
I absolutely love my FV. It had a problem when I got it but I figured it out and since then it shoots like a dream. The Weaver mounts weren't the same height so it was throwing off my scope and putting it in a bind. I switched them back to front and it got very close to being the same height. Now I can shoot quarter inch groups at 50 yards all day and that's with bulk ammo. I finally broke down and bought some Wolf ME and after I adjusted my scope for it I put 5 rounds in the same hole at 50 yards. I'm not talking connected holes either. I mean one bullet hole.

I happen to like the stock that comes on the FV too. The only problem is that it isn't balanced well with the bull barrel. The BV would likely have been better balanced but synthetic doesn't warp. I know not all wood warps but sometimes it does. That's why I prefer synthetic stocks.

Yes the stock seems light but it isn't flimsy IMO. It holds the barrel and receiver in the right place. That's all that matters to me. I don't plan on using it as a boat oar or anything.

I have other rimfires that also shoot well but not as well as the FV. I have a Stevens and two Marlin Model 60's and all 3 shoot very accurate. But the FV is a cut above all of them on accuracy. It only stands to reason with the 60's since they aren't varmit guns and the FV is but still the 60's shoot great. They also feel more solid than the FV and I just bought one of the 60's this summer too.

As for the trigger I love the trigger on mine. I haven't measured the pull but I know it's plenty light enough to get the job done. I don't need a super light trigger to hit what I'm shooting at. I actually prefer a little resistance so I don't accidentally pull the trigger before I'm ready.

Of course YMMV but I love my FV. It shoots incredilby accurate with Wolf ammo. I don't know how you get any more accurate than that 5 shot group. I haven't even shot any more of the Wolf. I plan to shoot some tomorrow while my son is home. But even with bulk ammo I can shoot my FV all day and be accurate. The barrel never heats up and changes my POI or at least it doesn't until I've shot a few hundred rounds. Then it changes predictably and consistently so I can make adjustments and keep shooting accurately. I don't know how you make one better than that.